Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL Jan 18-19 Potential Threat Thread

am19psu

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I'm thinking we might see back to back rain events given what the Euro showed. It's just really bad timing with the storm coming in during our transition phase. We'll see what happens though.

Are you serious?This storm is 1 week away. We all know how the Euro has been so far this winter.

yea... I'm not quite understanding why the 32 line on the surface temps is so far north with this set-up.. With a coastal well east of the area, I would expect a surface wind off the land and would not expect a freezing rain/sleet situation that it depicting in the CCB part of the storm. I would think temps of 32-35 with wet snow for most n&w burbs

I agree, its amazing how the entire overrunning type storm has gone out the window the last 2 GFS and NAM runs and this event now reeks of an elevation type snowstorm...this is an event where the Poconos, Catskills, and NW NJ could get hit hard....to me this is a rain or snow deal now if this morning's NAM/GFS runs are right...we've gone over to just a coastal low in a bad setup for the coast......the Euro came around closer to what I thought it might when I was talking last night on the 2nd storm about it being further west or inland...there is not real -NAO set up yet and even on last night's run you could see the 500 trough trying to go negative over the MW.

I agree, its amazing how the entire overrunning type storm has gone out the window the last 2 GFS and NAM runs and this event now reeks of an elevation type snowstorm...this is an event where the Poconos, Catskills, and NW NJ could get hit hard....to me this is a rain or snow deal now if this morning's NAM/GFS runs are right...we've gone over to just a coastal low in a bad setup for the coast......the Euro came around closer to what I thought it might when I was talking last night on the 2nd storm about it being further west or inland.

I am hoping you're right. ZR would be devastating to deal with, plus the cold coming behind it would make it hard to remove and break up.

I am hoping you're right. ZR would be devastating to deal with, plus the cold coming behind it would make it hard to remove and break up.

I didnt look at anything other than surface temps and 850 temps but seeing +1 at 850 and 28 early on at Morristown indicates that any sort of heavy precip rates or higher terrain and you can hold that 0C isothermal layer through the entire sounding and get a very heavy wet snow in places like High Point or Stroudsburg.

I didnt look at anything other than surface temps and 850 temps but seeing +1 at 850 and 28 early on at Morristown indicates that any sort of heavy precip rates or higher terrain and you can hold that 0C isothermal layer through the entire sounding and get a very heavy wet snow in places like High Point or Stroudsburg.

I know, tough to nail down at this point, but at what elevation does the ice threat turn more to a heavy wet snow? I'm at 825' here, and I'm not a big fan of ice events.

If you look at the 18z nam...I have a hard time understanding why the 0 C 850 line gets so far north. I don't know much about meteorology, but I understand the basic concepts of why further west lows (.ie apps runners) allow warmer air to flood in . This now looks like it is going to be a coastal coming from the south...and the low stays east .....so I don't get it.

If you look at the 18z nam...I have a hard time understanding why the 0 C 850 line gets so far north. I don't know much about meteorology, but I understand the basic concepts of why further west lows (.ie apps runners) allow warmer air to flood in . This now looks like it is going to be a coastal coming from the south...and the low stays east .....so I don't get it.

there is southerly flow in the mid levels above the surface system

there is southerly flow in the mid levels above the surface system

Thank you for posting this! There is a coastal system, but the mid levels are getting flooded with warmer air. Also, the high thats shifting offshore in combination with the low will provide a stiff east, southeast flow that will try to warm the surface up regardless of the snowpack for coastal areas. It may be harder for inland locations so ice could be a major issue.

State College went colder with their new forecasts. All snow and sleet now with no mention of freezing rain, let alone plain rain.

For Tamaqua:

M.L.King Day: A chance of snow after noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 21. Light and variable wind. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Monday Night: Snow, possibly mixed with sleet. Low around 19. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Tuesday: Snow, possibly mixed with sleet. High near 33. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Tuesday Night: A chance of snow showers and sleet. Cloudy, with a low around 27. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Wednesday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

State College went colder with their new forecasts. All snow and sleet. No mention of freezing rain let alone plain rain.

For Tamaqua:

M.L.King Day: A chance of snow after noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 21. Light and variable wind. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Monday Night: Snow, possibly mixed with sleet. Low around 19. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Tuesday: Snow, possibly mixed with sleet. High near 34. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Tuesday Night: A chance of snow showers and sleet. Cloudy, with a low around 27. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Wednesday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

My forecast is the same thing. What made them change it so much from this morning? They are normally conservative!:huh:

READING, PA

M.L.King Day: Partly sunny, with a high near 24. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph.

Monday Night: Snow, mainly after 1am. Low around 21. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Tuesday: Snow, freezing rain, and sleet before 9am, then freezing rain between 9am and 2pm, then rain after 2pm. High near 33. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Tuesday Night: A chance of snow and freezing rain. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Wednesday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Mid level warm air advection is well underway before the coastal formation..hence the H85 line being so far north.

Archived