• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Through Jan (2/3 through MET winter) is this best winter ever?

Zelocita Weather

We are almost 1/2 through MET winter and so far this has been one of my favs so far, if not my favorite to this point.

Constant cold since Dec, constant snow cover since Dec 26, storm after storm, 20-30" blizzard day after X-mas, more storm/cold to come and only Jan 12.

I think the only other winter (Through Mid Jan) that would compete would be 95/96. 93/94 is close, but I would have to rank them like this so far.

1. 1995/1996

2. 2010/2011

3.1993/1994

We shall see how the rest of the winter plays out!:snowman:

We are almost 1/2 through MET winter and so far this has been one of my favs so far, if not my favorite to this point.

Constant cold since Dec, constant snow cover since Dec 26, storm after storm, 20-30" blizzard day after X-mas, more storm/cold to come and only Jan 12.

I think the only other winter (Through Mid Jan) that would compete would be 95/96. 93/94 is close, but I would have to rank them like this so far.

1. 1995/1996

2. 2010/2011

3.1993/1994

One thing has surprised me has been the earlier forecast for this to be a crappy winter, so far I'm really liking it, it seems even more wintry because of the forecast originally and the cold air has seem to been here since Dec and usually we have some mild periods and just don't remember a whole lot lately. And the upcoming forecast seems to be good for more cold and maybe more storms, and lately Jan hasn't been very snowy for my area, SEPA.

1. 1995/1996

2. 2010/2011

3.1993/1994

My favorite winter was 1960-61. It began with a blockbuster in December, the President JFK Inauguration blizzard, and another after that in Feb.

This winter is on track to challenge that one. 93-94, deserves credit for maximum ice and cold. 95-96 was awesome. I am beginning to believe in sunspots.

So far, it's a tie between last winter and this winter. The one thing that I have to say about this winter is that it has been pretty cold and I still have snow on the ground from the Boxing day storm.

And to think the NYC are was forecasted by a lot of Mets to receive 20-30 inches of snow with January being the warmest month.

And if we don't receive another inch NYC is bascially 30 on the nose (29.9 as of last measurement at 7am). Already above average snowfall..NYC may make a run at 50 again

And if we don't receive another inch NYC is bascially 30 on the nose (29.9 as of last measurement at 7am). Already above average snowfall..NYC may make a run at 50 again

What an incredible stretch. I always wanted to get away from the coast because of the crappy winters that we have experienced in the past but recently, things have changed. The midwest don't really see really big storms like we see on the coast. Ocean influence FTW.:snowman:

It all depends on location. Ask someone from Central PA, and they'll say this winter sucks. Ask another from NJ and it's one of the best. For me, it's just a run of the mill average one so far, with a little frustration at missing out on the heavier snow bands and larger totals that you guys east of the Delaware have seen.

Depends on how you categorize "The best winter ever?". It hasn't been the best winter for everyone in the general discussion area. Mainly Central/E/SE/NE NJ, LI/NYC have had an incredible winter. Truth and reality is, anyone west of that we've had very small events. I measured 5.1" here in Easton this morning - the first significant snowfall we've had here so far for the 2010/2011 Winter Season.

Overall IMBY this has been a very good start to the winter (20.75 inches so far), but definitely not the best ever nor the best in my lifetime (although it ranks up there for sure). 95-96 was much better here so far because of the Blizzard of '96, and I'd even rank the start of 00-01 slightly higher because of the December 30, 2000 storm which gave me much more snow from one storm (16-18 inches) than what I've experienced so far this winter. Probably the third best in my lifetime through January 12, but definitely the best since I've started really tracking the weather.

I'd say its pretty close for me between this year and 95-96 but I was on my way back to State College during the blizzard so I missed the brunt of it. We still got 18" though.

Would be hard to top 93-94 winter there as we had snow on the ground every day from just before Christmas through at least mid march and it snowed at least 3" once a week and topped it off with 30" on March 2/3

95-96 was great there too. Amazing cold front swept through on November 11th with 80 mph wind gusts, temps dropped from 58 to 33 and we had snow on the ground 3 hours later. 3 days after that we had the heavy wet 18" snowstorm with most of the trees still having all their leaves. The snow shut off by early February that winter though or it could have even been more epic

The lack of big storms the past 10 years in Central PA though has been quite amazing

The best winters for me were 77-78 in Detroit although 09-10 in Delaware was really very special.

77-78 featured incredibly prolonged cold temps, many snowfall events, the great blizzard of 78 and insane drifting. We built three igloos all interconnected with tunnels and a mini toboggan run that lasted forever. Perfect kids' winter.

Ever since I started tracking storms, though, 09-10 was of course very, very good to me. Tons of fun.

1. 1995/1996

2. 2010/2011

3.1993/1994

Thru today in these previous years, there has been more snow at Central Park:

39.6 1996

38.9 1948

30.8 1949

1995-96 here on Long Island it was the persistence, with 17, 18, or 19 "storms", that I remember, including a memorable bday weekend for me in December (14" over 3 days centered around Dec 14th), the 96 Blizz, the Feb storms, and ultimately the April 9th 13" (in Shoreham at the time). Last year was classic top 10 historical totals in only a handful of storms. This year? Certainly well on the way, but reminds me of 2009-10 SO FAR, other than January being strangely colder this year. If it all ended now it'd be memorable; but if a pattern in motion stays in motion this year--even without beating 95-96's 90" at Upton (I lived 4 miles directly North in Shoreham)--it's gonna be another 50" plus winter where I live at least, and many of these are clustered in the last 14 years.

On January 31, 2004 Upton had measured 47" season to date for the 2003-04 winter. Unfortunately a weak February (despite a good March) prevented them from challenging the 91" record from the 1995-96 winter. The December temps that winter were nothing special, but January had near legendary cold.

I remember Jan 04 well sir. On Jan 10th I believe I had to go into NYC to Javitz for an expo, and the temp at 11am was 4F, and then went up from there. Remember the LI Sound freezing over like it hadn't before since 1976-77? (I was young but remember Jeeps driving on the Sound back then...amazing.)

There were two 8"+ snowstorms that month..one on the 14th (with amazingly cold temps) and one on the 27th. And the cold was legendary...I went through a full tank of home heating oil in 17 days.

William, I have pics from Wildwood Park in Wading River that month overlooking an almost Greenland like seascape that I have to scan in because younger folk may never believe just how persistently brutal that month was and how it yielded a frozen, walkable Long Island Sound for a bit of length. Just amazing. Burned in my memory like a cattle branding.

William, I have pics from Wildwood Park in Wading River that month overlooking an almost Greenland like seascape that I have to scan in because younger folk may never believe just how persistently brutal that month was and how it yielded a frozen, walkable Long Island Sound for a bit of length. Just amazing. Burned in my memory like a cattle branding.

I have some from Smithtown (Short Beach). If you would liike, or wouldn't mind, I could add some of the Wildwood ice shots to this web page:

http://www.northshorewx.com/20040201.asp

I don't like threads like this. Usually people have overly strong opinions based on overly limited perspectives. However, I am willing to say that with the start this winter has, it has potential to be unique. Not that the potential has a high probability of being realized, but so far there have been no miscues.

Last night was the 15th snowstorm of a foot or more in the 15 years I've been in my current house (that stat seems pretty remarkable) and this one was one of the best. The fact that it was falling on consolidated old snowpack didn't hurt either. It may rain next week...but if instead we add more snow, it will be quite an exceptional start. I think this might be something like 1947-48 must have been like. We are still missing any unusually low temperatures from the mix.

One thing has surprised me has been the earlier forecast for this to be a crappy winter, so far I'm really liking it, it seems even more wintry because of the forecast originally and the cold air has seem to been here since Dec and usually we have some mild periods and just don't remember a whole lot lately. And the upcoming forecast seems to be good for more cold and maybe more storms, and lately Jan hasn't been very snowy for my area, SEPA.

I think we have to re-think our hatred of La Niñas. I suspect that with good -NAO they can outperform even a nice El Niño with its STJ since there's more cold air on the map. Maybe the moisture feed wasn't as juicy for the Boxing Day Blizzard as some of the 1997-8 miseries like the early January ice event for upstate New York but we still did pretty well.

I don't like threads like this. Usually people have overly strong opinions based on overly limited perspectives. However, I am willing to say that with the start this winter has, it has potential to be unique. Not that the potential has a high probability of being realized, but so far there have been no miscues.

Last night was the 15th snowstorm of a foot or more in the 15 years I've been in my current house (that stat seems pretty remarkable) and this one was one of the best. The fact that it was falling on consolidated old snowpack didn't hurt either. It may rain next week...but if instead we add more snow, it will be quite an exceptional start. I think this might be something like 1947-48 must have been like. We are still missing any unusually low temperatures from the mix.

Its amazing when you probably compare that what the stats would look like in the 1980s and early 1990s. I mean, you might have gone a decade without a snowfall over a foot in that time. Or at least not too far off. :lol:

These last 15-18 years make you really appreciate winter more if you lived through the living hell that was the 1980s and early 1990s. Most of the very young posters here have no idea how good they have it right now.

Its amazing when you probably compare that what the stats would look like in the 1980s and early 1990s. I mean, you might have gone a decade without a snowfall over a foot in that time. Or at least not too far off. :lol:

These last 15-18 years make you really appreciate winter more if you lived through the living hell that was the 1980s and early 1990s. Most of the very young posters here have no idea how good they have it right now.

You can also add the period of 1970-77 for NYC east as there was only one 8" snowstorm that occured in Feb. 1976. The 2000's have rivaled the 1960's as the best decade of Winter weather in at least my lifetime.

We really have to treasure this period, because sooner or later it will come to an end. Maybe by that time we'll develop some kind of technology to artificially lower solar insolation ;)

Archived