• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Through Jan (2/3 through MET winter) is this best winter ever?

Zelocita Weather

95-96 it snowed in nov very rare for N.Y.C i can't say how good this winter is because its not over but its been great so far see ya.

Yes, for now I put 95-96 #1 and this #2.... depends on how the rest of Jan and February go. If we have another great storm, this could be #1, if not it could slip below 2002-03 and 2009-10, which both had epic Februaries. Both 1995-96 and 2002-03 also had big April snowstorms so this winter has awhile to go before it can match those, but we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

At least for my area, this winter doesn't come close to last year or 1995-1996.

Bump.

Now I would say HANDS DOWN, this is the best winter Ive ever seen, and in fact it is the best winter (2/3 through MET WINTER) in the NJ/NY/CT/SE NE) HAS EVER SEEN IN RECORDED HISTORY.

Snwocover has been CONSTANT for just over a month, most have at least a 20" base, 50-70" has fallen already through the area..and still have Feb & Mar to go.

95/96 & 93/94 have been trumped! WOW! :snowman:

Bump.

Now I would say HANDS DOWN, this is the best winter Ive ever seen, and in fact it is the best winter (2/3 through MET WINTER) in the NJ/NY/CT/SE NE) HAS EVER SEEN IN RECORDED HISTORY.

Snwocover has been CONSTANT for just over a month, most have at least a 20" base, 50-70" has fallen already through the area..and still have Feb & Mar to go.

These past few winters have me wondering if we are living through a fundamental, extended change in our local winter climo. Gone are the nearly snowless winters and the traditional 80s style snow to rain (for the coast) storms.

Bump.

Yes, the most snow to date in any prior winter was 52.1" in 1947-1948. 1904-05 was second and had 40.6" up to this point. 1995-96 was third and only had 39.6" up to this point. 1994 doesn't even rate in the top 20.

These past few winters have me wondering if we are living through a fundamental, extended change in our local winter climo. Gone are the nearly snowless winters and the traditional 80s style snow to rain (for the coast) storms.

My parents recorded less than 10" total just a few years ago in 07-08. I would suspect this is more of a "correction" than anything else. The 1981-2010 snowfall average did increase over 1971-2000, but the prior period was just so low it makes sense to see a rebound.

My parents near Trenton are running well above this point last year and are also having their second snowiest month on record, unofficially, with 32.5 inches (the unofficial snowiest being February 2010 with 40.5 inches). However, they are still running behind the unofficial 1995-96 total which by this point had already dropped 46.5". This year they've only had 42.7".

Possibly, but maybe not. I wrote long post on Eastern detailing exceptional increases in average annual snowfall that began at Logan Field in Boston in 1992-93 and progressed southwestward to Upton on Long Island starting in 1993-94. Although there were some dud years in there, there were multiple spectacular ones. Increases became much more consistent in this region starting with 2000-01 winter. Citing ACY data, I noted how areas south of 40 N really did not share in this increase at all, until 2009-10.

Upton saw 420" of snow in 10 year span from 2000-01 through 2009-10...at least 110" more than average or 11" per year. They are already around 25" above average in 2010-11.

Logan Field in Boston has averaged around 50" per year the last 19 years...around 150" above average or about 8" per year.

The snow that the coast is getting was probably stolen from inland areas. State College's average snowfall declined 2" between the 1971-2000 period and the 1981-2010 period. Its just regional thievery ;)

As much a fluke as was the one 8 inch event from 1984-1992 I'm pretty sure the last 10 years are as much a fluke.

As much a fluke as was the one 8 inch event from 1984-1992 I'm pretty sure the last 10 years are as much a fluke.

We've had prior periods with a very snowy cast, such as 1957-8 through 1968-9 (and a few not bad years either side), the 1910's and 1940's. On the other hand we've had unsnowy periods such as the aforementioned 1984-92, 1950 though 1955 and 1972 through 1977.

Archived