Newest Member
    joxey
NNE January 12 snowstorm obs

dendrite

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just woke up from a refreshing nap to a total of 15"

Wind has really created some serious drifts around cars and on the roof even though it's only 15mph or so.

Visibility actually seems to be going back down compared to 10 minutes ago, as that band makes a last ditch effort to help me catch up to Brian. :scooter:

Thanks for aiming the snow band back in this direction. Moderate snow again with great snow growth. 20" or bust.

Looks like the Nam will score the coup here with its track and it qpf for the most part it seems.......

10.5 inches here at 1:30pm, prolly another inch since then, winding down.

And GYX continues to cover their asses:

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THURSDAY MORNING/...

THE OCEAN LOW PRES SYSTEM THAT HAS BEEN STRONGER AND TRACKING

CLOSER TO THE COAST WITH HIGHER QPF/SNOW AMOUNTS AND A LARGE HEAVY

SNOW SHIELD THAN MODELS PREDICTED WILL FINALLY BEGIN PULLING E OF

THE GULF OF MAINE TNGT.

http://www.nws.noaa....type=discussion

10.5 inches here at 1:30pm, prolly another inch since then, winding down.

And GYX continues to cover their asses:

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THURSDAY MORNING/...

THE OCEAN LOW PRES SYSTEM THAT HAS BEEN STRONGER AND TRACKING

CLOSER TO THE COAST WITH HIGHER QPF/SNOW AMOUNTS AND A LARGE HEAVY

SNOW SHIELD THAN MODELS PREDICTED WILL FINALLY BEGIN PULLING E OF

THE GULF OF MAINE TNGT.

http://www.nws.noaa....type=discussion

lol ...stronger and tracking closer to the coast than maybe at 12z on Monday. It was pretty clear I thought yesterday after the Euro where this was going and I was the conservative d-bag around here.

On another subject, noticed that PWMs record snowfall for 1/12 is 10.2" set in 1905. Not sure what they have right now but I'd wager that is in jeopardy.

In an odd twist of events I feel like there's more snow here in the village of Stowe than there is up on the mountain. There was 5-7" when I left around 2pm and it was still dumping but down here in town, there's a solid 8" of new clogging my driveway. I also measured 8.5" in the Shaws supermarket parking lot. I definitely was not expecting that much down here in the village!

Looking at the PNS, I'm not sure I believe 8" at 12:30pm but there's about that out there when I measured (3:30ish).

My colleague just called and reported an even 10" in Stowe Hollow at 1,200ft. He left the mountain around 2:30pm and also remarked there there seemed to be more snow here in the village (especially the eastern side up by the Hollow in the lee of the Worcester Range.

I'll see what patrol measures as they are doing sweep right now.

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...
  STOWE                  8.0  1234 PM  1/12
  1 NW SOUTH CAMBRIDGE   8.0   120 PM  1/12  SPOTTER
  2 SSW JEFFERSONVILLE   6.0  1247 PM  1/12  FAA EMPLOYEE
  CAMBRIDGE              5.2   323 PM  1/12

Upgraded to Winter Storm Warning for up to 14"! Woohoo!

Like I said in my last post... 8" of new snow today, 14" snow depth.

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LAKE PLACID...PORT HENRY...

TICONDEROGA...NEWPORT...ISLAND POND...BURLINGTON...JOHNSON...

STOWE...ST. JOHNSBURY...UNDERHILL

200 PM EST WED JAN 12 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST THURSDAY. THE

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...MOST OF NORTHERN VERMONT...AS WELL AS ESSEX COUNTY

OF NEW YORK.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 10 INCHES...WITH LOCALIZED AMOUNTS OF

12 TO 14 INCHES.

* TIMING...HEAVY SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO FALL ACROSS THE WARNING

AREA THROUGH MIDNIGHT...THEN TAPER TO SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED...ALONG WITH

SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES.

* WINDS...NORTH 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS IN THE LOWER 20S THIS AFTERNOON. LOWS 10 TO

16 TONIGHT.

* VISIBILITIES...LESS THAN ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES.

StormTotalSnowFcst-2.png

Total map looks a lot different then it did this a.m.

Radar returns on my GRLevel 2 are lightening up. Had several periods throughout the day that snowfall was 3" - 4" per hour. Can see Arrowsic Island for the first time today, which is 1/4 mile across Winnegance Bay. Drifts on the south side of my house are up to the bottom of my bedroom windows, approx 4'. Wife was left go from work early today. Took 2 hours to make the 38 mile drive home.

4:00 p.m. OBS

-SN/BS

28.6° F.

N 25 mph g 33 mph

29.30 inHg rising slowly

Total snowfall: 16.5"

Saw reports for mid coast region showing anywhere from 12" to 17".

Total map looks a lot different then it did this a.m.

Radar returns on my GRLevel 2 are lightening up. Had several periods throughout the day that snowfall was 3" - 4" per hour. Can see Arrowsic Island for the first time today, which is 1/4 mile across Winnegance Bay. Drifts on the south side of my house are up to the bottom of my bedroom windows, approx 4'. Wife was left go from work early today. Took 2 hours to make the 38 mile drive home.

4:00 p.m. OBS

-SN/BS

28.6° F.

N 25 mph g 33 mph

29.30 inHg rising slowly

Total snowfall: 16.5"

Yeah, They really had to ramp this map up when they saw where those bands setup......

lol ...stronger and tracking closer to the coast than maybe at 12z on Monday. It was pretty clear I thought yesterday after the Euro where this was going and I was the conservative d-bag around here.

On another subject, noticed that PWMs record snowfall for 1/12 is 10.2" set in 1905. Not sure what they have right now but I'd wager that is in jeopardy.

Yeah, even the GFS pumped out >0.75" for coastal communities during the 18 and 00Z runs yesterday ( I guess the 00Z run is technically for today). Glancing over the metars it looks like PWM came in with just a bit more than 0.7 inches of melted precip. With possible 14:1 ratios, it's going to be close.

Wife was left go from work early today. Took 2 hours to make the 38 mile drive home.

My wife took two hours this morning getting to work ... roughly 35 miles and typically takes 45-50 minutes. She also was sent home early a few minutes ago, probably take 2 hours coming home as well.

Top of the hour measurement ... 0.1" new, storm total 11.9" I'll break 12" with some decent snow on the doorstep. Moderately jealous of the 20" amounts that were within grasp, but alas!

Thanks Scott. I never give up on a storm as long as there's decent banding potential. Your NAM H5-H85 RH/H7 omega maps pretty much nailed the area of jackpots up this way.

I fooking love them. They are more valuable than qpf, and really help me out. I remember thinking how they pegged your area, but I was more concerned with my backyard..lol.

Had some frz dz overnight IMBY, enough to scrape, and a handful of snowgrains. Haven't measured, but looks like about 5" IMBY, with moderate snow. When I left the AUG meeting (Small Woodlot Owners) at 1 PM they had about 7" with +SN, visibility 0.1 mile at best, winds gusting to about 30 - nasty, but not like Boxing Day. A 2 PM obs from East Augusta was 12" (seems high) and at 3 PM AUG was still reporting +SN with winds 29G44. They might make blz again.

Updated GYX forecast for here says 8-16". My guess is 6-8 range, as flakes are tiny (have been so since startup at 8:30 AM) and probably will have a poor ratio. Great-looking dendrites in AUG became the smaller stuff as I got about halfway home. Wind has picked up here in the past hour, gusts probably low 30s.

I fooking love them. They are more valuable than qpf, and really help me out. I remember thinking how they pegged your area, but I was more concerned with my backyard..lol.

Well I definitely picked up that tool from you and I've used it a lot now going back to last winter. I can plot the mean 500-850mb RH and overlay omega on top of it on the Plymouth vortex site so I can at least conjure up somewhat similar images to yours.

The snow falling right now is probably the best snow growth of the storm although the density of flakes in the air isn't nearly comparable to earlier. Nonetheless, this is a nice way to top it off...with a fluffy couple of inches floating on top.

12z GFS has an ice storm here... hmm...

You mean the system next week? Where are you in NH right now? I took a peek at soundings and it's all snow here before the dryslot/warm air move in aloft...similar to 07/08 with the SWFEs where we'd thump 10:1 ratio snow for 6-8 hours and dry slot (cut off the precip) before any possible changeover. Hopefully it trends a little colder although the GFS has a nice little CAD wedge of < 0C 850s holding tough along the foothills.

Archived