joxey
NNE January 12 snowstorm obs

dendrite

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was two hours ago!

Welcome to IZG deform heaven.

Still pouring +SN here although probably more like 1-2"/hr rates rather than the >2"/hr previously. The 25dbZ echoes are a hair to my NW so the NW winds are blowing them on over here. Bring that 30dbZ snow back down here Scott.

14" fresh on the ground, sure it would be more if I was clearing every 6 hours. Very dense stuff, not at all like 12/19 last year. Snowpack 16-17" now.

I went for a walk a little after 3am last night and came across a cop waiting for a tow truck with a guy who had driven off the road. Once they got him out he drove back to the main road although I don't know if he made it since he had a hard time getting going. Pretty funny to watch his very small 2 wheel drive car with no clearance try to drive over 8-9" of snow on the road.

Still pouring +SN here although probably more like 1-2"/hr rates rather than the >2"/hr previously. The 25dbZ echoes are a hair to my NW so the NW winds are blowing them on over here. Bring that 30dbZ snow back down here Scott.

:lol:

Looks like the heavy band is trying to come back to you starting in the last frame.

I'm enjoying being under that stationary clump of yellow pixels. Visibility has actually come up a tad, but flake size is now the biggest I've seen so far today. :snowman:

post-18-0-66637200-1294853885.gif

:lol:

Looks like the heavy band is trying to come back to you starting in the last frame.

I'm enjoying being under that stationary clump of yellow pixels. Visibility has actually come up a tad, but flake size is now the biggest I've seen so far today. :snowman:

Agree. Vis is a little higher, but still +SN. Flake size is definitely the largest it's been for the whole storm. Like you said earlier, this is a nice way to top off the relatively denser snow from earlier. It will just "float" on top. Although the wind occasionally gusts to over 20mph and pisses me off.

Just got this email... roads are awful and plows can't keep up.

Message: GMTA has temporarily suspended service on the Mountain Road in Stowe. It is white out conditions and the buses can’t get up and down the Mountain Road. Drivers are just hanging tight for now to see if the plows can catch up and we can resume service.

22.8F +SN. Getting the best rates of the storm right now. I think the visibility was lower earlier, but this is by far the best dendritic growth so far.

3" last hour...11" in the last 5hrs.

17.2" total. I have a shot at 20" with no let up in sight. This next core sample is going to be a beast trying to get what I assume to be ~13" of snow into the 12" long can. :snowman:

I could never live over on that side of the state... the terrible radar coverage would drive me batty.

Yeah, radar coverage for both sides of the CT River aren't so good. One learns to extrapolate.

Anyway, down in Hanover now--still snowing steady but the rate has slackened some.

Driving was snowy (duh) but the roads were empty...till I got to Hanover right at class-change time. :arrowhead:

Not much to see out there--the world was pretty much all one tone:

5349748980_334c895248.jpg

22.8F +SN. Getting the best rates of the storm right now. I think the visibility was lower earlier, but this is by far the best dendritic growth so far.

17.2" total. I have a shot at 20" with no let up in sight. This next core sample is going to be a beast trying to get what I assume to be ~13" of snow into the 12" long can. :snowman:

Man that is impressive... that's like Valentines Day rates in Burlington where the airport had 11.5" in 5 hours. Dude that's awesome... enjoy it!

You have a digital camera?

:lol: You are cashing in big over there.

Man that is impressive... that's like Valentines Day rates in Burlington where the airport had 11.5" in 5 hours. Dude that's awesome... enjoy it!

You have a digital camera?

Yeah. I'll post some pics later. My camera upload cord is chewed apart so it takes forever to try to get it to upload pics without losing connection.

Still getting 1/4-1/5SM snows.

It's lightened up quite a bit here now (not sure about home) and the radar shows the CT River valley tattering pretty clearly. It seems to come in here better when the storm is still off to the south and the fetch is SE but once it starts to pull north and gain a little latitude, the fetch becomes more easterly and we get shadowed a bit by the Whites. It should fill in some more once the low pulls off to the NE.

I'm about a 1/4 SM from KBTV. Can't see the airport at all, still coming down at a pretty decent rate. No aircraft have made it into BTV since a Cessna 172 did IFR practice early this morning. Not even the freighters. The TAFs last night were not calling for conditions this low. Nice little surprise.

Letting up a bit here, but still 1/4SM vis at my local RWIS sites. Flake size has gotten smaller. Looks like Scott is still getting blitzed at Weirs...hopefully I get one more burst as this band rots in place. Time to measure and do a snow core.

not lightening up here at all...unreal still outside. I've been inside for a half hour so we should be at 20 now.

Archived