joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE January 12 snowstorm obs

dendrite

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THis storm has been a "boon" for my on campus email... People not loving Gray at the current moment... How much u think on the ground? And same to Peter?

Here in Hanover? 10" plus?

Hard to say without knowing where a clean surface to judge from might have been before this started.

I'll go out for coffee a little later and take a ruler with me.

Things seemed to be breaking up just about 30 minutes ago. Flakes are increasing in size and quantity now. According to BTV this thing is supposed to continue until midnight. Also, they extended the WSW all the way to the Can. border now. Keep in mind that at 7 this morning the WSW was only for the bottom 1/2 of the state. Models and verfication are two totally different animals. Being a met can't be easy with changes like this.

2.0" in the last hour. Up to 19.2".

The latest 6hr core sample was 13.0" with 0.84" water equiv. Amazing what a little strong deformation dendritic growth can do.

So my event total so far is 19.2" with 1.44" w.e.

My water equiv (snow cores) compared to CON (which has an AWPAG precip gauge)...

7z-13z

Me: 0.60"

CON 0.60"

13z-19z

Me: 0.84"

CON: 0.57"

I think that makes sense considering how much better I've been into the banding than they have. They climbed up to 1SM at one point.

Down to moderate snow now and 22.5F. I should be able to make it to 20".

That makes sense to me, my friend and I were say around 10-12... Of course, we could be wrong.

Nah, you're definitely in the ballpark, I'd say.

There's more here than at home, that's for certain. When I left, we might have been pushing 6" and my wife emailed a bit ago from home saying that it's snowing but very lightly. This is the second time this year that the valley has done better than we have out in the hills. Boxing Day was the same way--Hanover 18", Corinth, 9".

Doesn't happen that way very often let alone twice in one season! :huh:

not lightening up here at all...unreal still outside. I've been inside for a half hour so we should be at 20 now.

Nice!

The latest 6hr core sample was 13.0" with 0.84" water equiv. Amazing what a little strong deformation dendritic growth can do.

My water equiv (snow cores) compared to CON (which has an AWPAG precip gauge)...

7z-13z

CON 0.60"

13z-19z

I think that makes sense considering how much better I've been into the banding than they have. They climbed up to 1SM at one point.

that makes sense. I am at 17.75" for the storm.

untouched/compacted snow on the deck measured 16". it is some flufy stuff!

7z-13z

CON 0.60"

13z-19z

I'm surprised you are in moderate. I have stayed heavy and am going to measure the last hour's accumulation.

14.0" here, We are still under a decent band as we have been under one all day here 28dbz's, But it's starting to look like the low is starting to move off to the ENE as there are lighter echoes showing up on radar, Looks like the Nam will score the coup here with its track and it qpf for the most part it seems.......

I'm surprised you are in moderate. I have stayed heavy and am going to measure the last hour's accumulation.

Well it's starting to die on its western end and drop SE. Radar has the band axis aiming toward you now. My vis is probably around 1/2SM or maybe even 3/4SM. So borderline -SN/SN. Plenty enough to squeak out another 0.8" after my 2pm measurement.

14.0" here, We are still under a decent band as we have been under one all day here 28dbz's, But it's starting to look like the low is starting to move off to the ENE as there are lighter echoes showing up on radar, Looks like the Nam will score the coup here with its track and it qpf for the most part it seems.......

Yeah I probably have 14-15" maybe a couple more before all is said and done.

Well it's starting to die on its western end and drop SE. Radar has the band axis aiming toward you now. My vis is probably around 1/2SM or maybe even 3/4SM. So borderline -SN/SN. Plenty enough to squeak out another 0.8" after my 2pm measurement.

We are finally lightening up....moderate snow now, but still close to heavy. won't hit 24 unless some of that stuff just west of 93 and north of here slides down. Wow what a storm...whoda thought we'd be one of the jackpots.

Nah, you're definitely in the ballpark, I'd say.

There's more here than at home, that's for certain. When I left, we might have been pushing 6" and my wife emailed a bit ago from home saying that it's snowing but very lightly. This is the second time this year that the valley has done better than we have out in the hills. Boxing Day was the same way--Hanover 18", Corinth, 9".

Doesn't happen that way very often let alone twice in one season! :huh:

Hopefully we get a V-Day again... I have a gr8 feeling about this season...

Archived