• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE January 12 snowstorm obs

dendrite

Figured I'd start one for the NNE crew that is slower paced than the SNE one. :)

Down to 20.7F here and on the -SN/SN intensity line. It looks like the really heavy stuff is around Canterbury right now so it should drop down to 1/4-1/2SM vis in 20-30 minutes. The Derry RWIS has been down to 1/4-1/5SM vis for an hour now so they should really be piling it up.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it me or is this coming further north than expected? NAM and GFS have both upped our QPF in northern VT...

16F with a few stray flurries starting to fall at 1,550ft at the base of Mansfield. Radar looks a lot better than I was expecting and ALY has warnings out in the Adirondacks now which is usually a good sign.

Is it me or is this coming further north than expected? NAM and GFS have both upped our QPF in northern VT...

16F with a few stray flurries starting to fall at 1,550ft at the base of Mansfield. Radar looks a lot better than I was expecting and ALY has warnings out in the Adirondacks now which is usually a good sign.

It sure is...

I'd go a reasonable 4-8 all throughout your area at this point. Further down the spine - say like Bush/MRG you might even see those east facing summits get into the 10 inch range.

Up now--went to bed early last night to get a good night's sleep in anticipation of today.

17F and light snow now falling--just the first coating visible on the deck.

I was wondering where Dendrite was yesterday....:snowman:

Work. :)

I called out today. My dad had to take the snowblower down to my parents' place in Hooksett because my mom has surgery today. He needs it a little more than me. :snowman:

I'm hoping the deform band is going to setup over my head. It's looking good for setting up somewhere in the vicinity of here.

Aye! Good luck to your mom. I find myself helping my parents more and more these days too....

Snow's on!

My father... Well I don't help, but at 83, he's getting up there... And he shouldn't be pro met either, he said and I quote, "they are calling for 8-12 here, I think it will be closer 6"... Pretty sure they got 12 back home... Oops.

It sure is...

I'd go a reasonable 4-8 all throughout your area at this point. Further down the spine - say like Bush/MRG you might even see those east facing summits get into the 10 inch range.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, haha. You read my mind. My early morning operational forecast is 4-8" on the mountain with around .4" of liquid.

I think Sugarbush/MRG area gets hit hard (6-12") and Killington/Okemo should get crushed. Of course this is for elevations above 1,500-2,000ft where the ski areas sit, but I bet even the lower elevations south of I-89/Winooski Valley verify close to warning if not more.

Work. :)

I called out today. My dad had to take the snowblower down to my parents' place in Hooksett because my mom has surgery today. He needs it a little more than me. :snowman:

I'm hoping the deform band is going to setup over my head. It's looking good for setting up somewhere in the vicinity of here.

I think you're in a prime position for that deform band based on everything I've looked at in the last hour.

snowing heavily (SN+) at KLEB... and i don't expect it to stop for a long while...

Just checked my blitzmail--was hoping for a work cancelation but no such luck. :arrowhead:

In my ten years at Dartmouth, we've only had two snowdays.... Almost takes an act of god to shut that place down. They've got granite in their veins!

Just checked my blitzmail--was hoping for a work cancelation but no such luck. :arrowhead:

In my ten years at Dartmouth, we've only had two snowdays.... Almost takes an act of god to shut that place down. They've got granite in their veins!

Same with UVM... in the last 10 years the only times they've closed were Valentines Day '07 because roads and walkways were literally impassable... and March 6, 2001.

Get a storm forecast of 15+ inches, get it snowing by 3 am, lasting to 3 p.m.... that would do it... This storm got the 3 a.m. part, but the forecast (whether right or wrong) was only for 6-10 from GYX... That's not gonna do it...

Same with UVM... in the last 10 years the only times they've closed were Valentines Day '07 because roads and walkways were literally impassable... and March 6, 2001.

Heh, those might be the very two for here too. There was certainly one back in the early 2000s and the V-Day storm is another good candidate....

Get a storm forecast of 15+ inches, get it snowing by 3 am, lasting to 3 p.m.... that would do it... This storm got the 3 a.m. part, but the forecast (whether right or wrong) was only for 6-10 from GYX... That's not gonna do it...

A guy can hope, right? ;)

I don't come in till 12:30 today so I'll have several hours out here at the house and a fun ride to work to look forward to.

Looking forward to daylight--still pretty black out there.

Valentine's day definitely was... and a review of The Dartmouth archives indicates 3/01 was the other...

Roger that--nice fact checking.

Here comes the blue-gray light now. Can't see the prominent hill 1/2 mile to the east that I use as a visibility marker. 0.7" already. Did my obs early this morning (6:30) to zero things out for the next 24 fun hours.

Archived