• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Jan 9-10 Storm Part 2

MotoWeatherman

Seems like the NAM is moving along with the trend of weakening the s/w further. Not looking too good right now for us.

Compared to the 18z GFS, does it look like the NAM is following suite with the 500MB?

Edit: I mean, the actual depiction of the timing etc.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why are you guys comparing 12z and 00Z with 6 and 18 z. Anyway the Nam looks excellent, about how I expected it to look. 1" qpf in much of eastern Tx. Not bad at all, and on par with the Euro

Edit, theres 1.75" to 2" around DFW. Juicy system and going neg. tilt. Its energy of the vort will get shunted into Miss. later on, and the energy transfer will broaden and generate widespread vorticity and lift, meaning good wide area snow coverage.

its looking ok out to 66 at this point with more moisture increasing back in tx, not quite time to panic yet (at least i keep telling my self that lol)

why are you guys comparing 12z and 00Z with 6 and 18 z. Anyway the Nam looks excellent, about how I expected it to look. 1" qpf in much of eastern Tx. Not bad at all, and on par with the Euro

Edit, theres 1.75" to 2" around DFW. Juicy system and going neg. tilt. Its energy of the vort will get shunted into Miss. later on, and the energy transfer will broaden and generate widespread vorticity and lift, meaning good wide area snow coverage.

said much better than i did! by 72 its coming into ga

at 72 hours the precip is in n. Miss and central Al, although it looks a little warm there. Good qpf, and very good southerly flow over La, southern Ark and Miss, with good divergence and shortwave ridging. For the NAM, I'm surprised.

uh oh, maybe not good for this area

Robert,

I am worried about temperature thicknesses though for our areas. Thoughts? Off topic...did you see the low progged for tomorrow? I noticed that at hr 24. You look to be jackpot for that little (maybe significant?) system?

Wow look at all that precip in LA at 75

The nam has accum. approaching 2" ,and widespread 1.50" to 1.75" amounts, extremely impressed with the amoutn of moisture and that part I agree with. However, it failes to put enough moisture ahead of the WAA in western Tnn and n. Ala early on, and also has too much warm advection, compared to the Euro. If you adjust for errors that are likely with the nam, you end up with a whopping snowstorm in southern to central Arkansas, northern half of Miss, northern half of Ala and getting into Ga and southern third of Tenn or so, although I'm stil uncomfortable with the northern extent. Overall, too warm back west, IMO.

The nam has accum. approaching 2" ,and widespread 1.50" to 1.75" amounts, extremely impressed with the amoutn of moisture and that part I agree with. However, it failes to put enough moisture ahead of the WAA in western Tnn and n. Ala early on, and also has too much warm advection, compared to the Euro. If you adjust for errors that are likely with the nam, you end up with a whopping snowstorm in southern to central Arkansas, northern half of Miss, northern half of Ala and getting into Ga and southern third of Tenn or so, although I'm stil uncomfortable with the northern extent. Overall, too warm back west, IMO.

So you are saying the NAM is displaying the normal warm bias?

Simulated rader on the 0z NAM appears to show the precip shield further south than 18z.

thats what i was thinking too, initially. but it seems to have come on in just fine at the end of the run (fwiw lol) by 81 and 84 most of us will be in the action

The 0z NAM precip shield at 78 hrs is 200 miles south of where it was at 84 hrs on the 18z.

edit: Looks like there is less interaction w/ the feature to the northwest.

It's probably just because this run of the NAM is much slower than the 18z run timing wise.

The 0z NAM precip shield at 78 hrs is 200 miles south of where it was at 84 hrs on the 18z.

edit: Looks like there is less interaction w/ the feature to the northwest.

I don't kjnow about 200 miles, but at 78 it is obviously MUCH further south. Those looking @ the 81 hours said it was more north, so maybe we'll see a significant move north @ 84.

TW

Archived