• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

I'd almost worry a little more with ptype, rather than whiff, although right now...I feel like BOS will be ok.

The H5 low really tries to keep the comma head going as it slides underneath, trying to capture the low.

Yep. A whiff is unlikely. But as Pete said, whatever we get will include a fine dump of snow for a good long time before any taint and we have a good shot at all snow.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd almost worry a little more with ptype, rather than whiff, although right now...I feel like BOS will be ok.

The H5 low really tries to keep the comma head going as it slides underneath, trying to capture the low.

Yeah I think a whiff is getting pretty unlikely. Its been trending more amped with each run.

Alot of nothin's but it sure is pretty...even a tiny amount.

The nice thing here is we've been focused on last nights and tonight's system allow the Wed system to creep into the 4 day range without much weenie fanfare. I won't start looking too much into it until tomorrow sometime and even then I'lll be out most of the day in NH at a family party.

Upton at 4:36, echoes what seems to be the consensus here while making me cringe at the thought of windblown snow again...

CONFIDENCE IS INCREASING IN A SIGNIFICANT TO POSSIBLY VERY SIGNIFICANT

WINTER STORM FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY...WITH A

COASTAL LOW FORECAST TO LIKELY TRACK NEAR THE 40 NORTH/70 WEST

BENCHMARK LATE TUESDAY NIGHT. THERE IS ALSO SOME POTENTIAL FOR

STRONG GUSTY WINDS LATE TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY

MORNING...ESPECIALLY OVER LONG ISLAND AND SOUTHERN

CONNECTICUT...WHICH WOULD CAUSE THE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW.

CONFIDENCE IS LOWER IN THE STRONG GUSTY WINDS...THEN IN THE

LIKELIHOOD OF SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL.

Euro ensembles shifted way colder. They reduce any potential torch near the 16th, although it's still possible. Nice overrunning look.

Yeah I had a feeling we could see that type of setup develop versus a full out torch. More of a gradient pattern...where the cold still falls in the western US but you get a finger of it extending eastward in Canada and the N Lakes/New England.

ALB has been doing a great job with their AFD's lately. They have raised the chances for snow Tues night/Wed in the Berkshires immediately adjacent to my locale to "likely". Seems snow is in the cards and a more Western track than currently progged is certainly possible.

THE MAIN FOCUS AND FORECAST CHALLENGE FOR THE PERIOD WILL BE A

POTENTIAL WINTER STORM ASSOCIATED WITH A NOR`EASTER MOVING UP THE

EASTERN SEABOARD TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY. THERE IS NOW LITTLE

DOUBT THAT A STORM WILL EMERGE ALONG THE EAST COAST AND DEVELOP INTO

A NOR`EASTER...HOWEVER THE EXACT STORM TRACK WHICH WILL PLAY A BIG

ROLE IN DETERMINING SNOWFALL AMOUNTS...IS STILL IN QUESTION. THE

STORM WILL HAVE ORIGINS ALONG THE GULF COAST STATES BEFORE EMERGING

OFF THE MID ATLANTIC COAST. HOWEVER...THERE IS ALSO FORECAST TO BE A

TROF MOVING EASTWARD ACROSS THE OHIO VALLEY WHICH COULD END UP

MERGING WITH THE NOR`EASTER. SNOWFALL ASSOCIATED WITH THE OHIO

VALLEY LOW MAY AFFECT MUCH OF THE AREA REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE

COASTAL STORM DOES. HOWEVER...SNOWFALL WOULD QUITE A BIT HEAVIER IF

THE NOR`EASTER TRACKS CLOSER TO THE COAST.

LOOKING AT THE VARIOUS SOURCES OF MODEL GUIDANCE...THE ECMWF IS MOST

AGGRESSIVE WITH TRACKING THE NOR`EASTER CLOSER TO CAPE COD WHICH

WOULD RESULT IN A GREATER THREAT OF HEAVY SNOWFALL FOR AT LEAST A

PORTION OF OUR AREA. THE TRACK FROM GFS IS THE FARTHEST EAST OF THE

OPERATIONAL GUIDANCE...WHILE THE GGEM IS SLIGHTLY WEST OF THE GFS

POSITION. HOWEVER...THE GFS ENSEMBLES SHOW CLUSTERING OF LOW

PRESSURE NEAR CAPE COD...AND EVEN THE MEAN POSITION IS WEST OF THE

OPERATIONAL GFS. THE ECMWF IS DEPICTING THE OHIO VALLEY UPPER TROF

AS STRONGER...WHICH WOULD TEND TO CAPTURE THE NOR`EASTER AND RESULT

IN A MORE WESTWARD TRACK. THE GFS IS MUCH WEAKER WITH THE TROF AT

THIS TIME. THE STRENGTH OF THE UPSTREAM TROF WILL LIKELY HAVE A BIG

IMPACT ON THE TRACK OF THE NOR`EASTER. SO AT THIS TIME THERE IS

ENOUGH CONFIDENCE TO CONTINUE TO MENTIONING THE THREAT FOR HEAVY

SNOWFALL IN THE HWO. THE 12Z GEFS PROBABILITY OF 0.50" QPF IS

GREATEST ACROSS NEW ENGLAND...BUT WITH CHANCE VALUES BACK INTO

EASTERN NY TOO. THIS SYSTEM BEARS WATCHING FOR A POTENTIAL HEAVY

SNOWFALL.

Yeah I had a feeling we could see that type of setup develop versus a full out torch. More of a gradient pattern...where the cold still falls in the western US but you get a finger of it extending eastward in Canada and the N Lakes/New England.

Do you buy the big coastal the 18z GFS shows forming on the Arctic front at like Day 10?

I'm thinking we're probably going to get colder than shown by 18z but not much snow...just looks squally to me with the surface low cutting well to the north and arctic cold moving in.

Hopefully it's right. It had the look for a couple of days, where you could see a kink in the isobars, south of sne...even on the ensemble run, which is why I said it would make Jerry happy..lol.

Do you buy the big coastal the 18z GFS shows forming on the Arctic front at like Day 10?

I'm thinking we're probably going to get colder than shown by 18z but not much snow...just looks squally to me with the surface low cutting well to the north and arctic cold moving in.

I really havent looked at any individual storm threats beyond this next one. Pattern is kind of volatile in that time frame with the NAO block at least temporarily broken down...so anything could happen. The GFS tries to rebuilt the block a bit around then, but there's no guarantee.

Well, seeing as how so many have that logo ... I fixed the white line artifact. Here's Revision 2. Use at your own peril. Muahahahahaaaa!

Gotta say it's looking damn good for snow midweek. What could go wrong? lol

I think we are in on this one, Only looks like it can get better from here...........

Well, seeing as how so many have that logo ... I fixed the white line artifact. Here's Revision 2. Use at your own peril. Muahahahahaaaa!

Gotta say it's looking damn good for snow midweek. What could go wrong? lol

Model agreement this far out is excellent...Euro/GFS op and Euro/GFS ens all onboard, and all at under 100 hours. Plowable snow likely.

The nice thing here is we've been focused on last nights and tonight's system allow the Wed system to creep into the 4 day range without much weenie fanfare. I won't start looking too much into it until tomorrow sometime and even then I'lll be out most of the day in NH at a family party.

Actually, I stopped caring about this current "system" about 4 days ago, when it became apparent that there would be no storm and only an inverted trough....not worth the energy because 9/10 times you will lose in that sh** scenario....and I did.

I've been all about this one ever since and it looks about perfect for me right now.....just inside the BM.

Ray, could you please return to grousing. I find this new personna troubling.

I'm sure I will to some degree at some point, but there was no need of destroying every thread with it; I was going overboard and probably should have been tagged.

Will and Brian are very patient guys. :lol:

Actually, I stopped caring about this current "system" about 4 days ago, when it became apparent that there would be no storm and only an inverted trough....not worth the energy because 9/10 times you will lose in that sh** scenario....and I did.

I've been all about this one ever since and it looks about perfect for me right now.....just inside the BM.

I'm sure I will to some degree at some point, but there was no need of destroying every thread with it; I was going overboard and probably should have been tagged.

I'm feeling some '07-'08 era weenie chucking right now. I don't think we've had this kind of model agreement at this range (for a good solution) in a long time...almost stress free.

Archived