• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Bastardi: Coldest January in over a Quarter Century

Based on this forecast, AccuWeather.com Chief Long Range Forecaster Joe Bastardi says this month could turn out to be the coldest January for the nation as a whole since 1985.

While there has been outstanding regionalized cold in January in recent years, Bastardi points out that the U.S. has not experienced this type of coast-to-coast cold since the 1980s.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/43933/this-january-could-be-coldest.asp

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on this forecast, AccuWeather.com Chief Long Range Forecaster Joe Bastardi says this month could turn out to be the coldest January for the nation as a whole since 1985.

While there has been outstanding regionalized cold in January in recent years, Bastardi points out that the U.S. has not experienced this type of coast-to-coast cold since the 1980s.

http://www.accuweath...-be-coldest.asp

thanks JB for pointing out what some Mets have been saying for weeks now.

$$$$

No disrespect intended...I read both forums...but why is there such animosity between accuweather and this forum...and between everyone and the weather channel. I realize the weather channel has become more of a tv show now with less actual weather...just curious....also I had the pleasure of having Dr Jon Nese as a professor in college and wondered if anyone knows where he is at nowadays.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

http://www.accuweath...-be-coldest.asp

I don't believe it should be viewed negatively when a forecaster changes his/her forecast to reflect the latest guidance/developments. I believe it is better to do so than to stick to a forecast that has little or no chance of verifying. So, I don't believe there is anything wrong with JB's or other forecasters' making adjustments.

Jon Nese is still a professor at PSU. I am actually going to TA one of his classes this upcoming semester smile.gif

No disrespect intended...I read both forums...but why is there such animosity between accuweather and this forum...and between everyone and the weather channel. I realize the weather channel has become more of a tv show now with less actual weather...just curious....also I had the pleasure of having Dr Jon Nese as a professor in college and wondered if anyone knows where he is at nowadays.

Didnt JB say January would be a blowtorch and winter would end in the east in Dec?

yep, he said that it was going to be wild for the east coast until Christmas then winter would be over.

Brett Anderson went with a megatorch, he's going to be megawrong.

Accuweather tends to overhype everything in order to turn that into $$$$ from marketing. Every small threat will somehow turn into a big east coast storm that will cause a blizzard and shut down large portions of the area for weeks!

Ellinwood :guitar:

December, yes... January (and February)... no. This reinvigorated block caught almost all mets by surprise as early as mid-December. There wasn't any expectation to have the extreme blocking last into January.

Here was my original call back on October 3rd (which was warmer than others, especially in the Northwest and Northern Plains):

winterforecast_jan2011.png

...and the mid-December update, with the thoughts that the we could torch after we got rid of the block:

winterforecast_jan2011_DecUpdate.png

...and finally the "harsh reality" outlook, showing how the blocking pattern will dominate the month:

2011_JanOutlook.png

There really isn't any good Niña/AO/NAO analog for this January... unless we can get a nice ridge out west and aboves in that region by the end of the month.

I don't believe it should be viewed negatively when a forecaster changes his/her forecast to reflect the latest guidance/developments. I believe it is better to do so than to stick to a forecast that has little or no chance of verifying. So, I don't believe there is anything wrong with JB's or other forecasters' making adjustments.

strongly agree....

...however, hes a little late to the party and to have a new thread for this is flat out ridiculous!

Jon Nese is still a professor at PSU. I am actually going to TA one of his classes this upcoming semester smile.gif

I took his Intro to Meteorology as an elective during my Freshman year (this was in Fall of 96) and he lived next door to a good friend of mine so I saw him quite often. Not only extremely knowledgeable but a heck of a nice guy as well. He would always make time to discuss/answer questions I had. I know he was on WBRE (local NBC station based out of Scranton, then a few years later I heard he moved and saw him on The Weather Channel. Thanks for the updates.

Posted this one not too long ago in another thread. To put Bastardi's "forecast" in context:

post-1746-0-71936200-1294174071.jpg

Colder than 1985 would be a top 10 coldest January....

I find it funny that I made this exact forecast yesterday (coldest Jan for U.S. since at least 1985). Not that I think Joe is copying me or anything. :P

December, yes... January (and February)... no. This reinvigorated block caught almost all mets by surprise as early as mid-December. There wasn't any expectation to have the extreme blocking last into January.

i didnt issue a forecast but my "thoughts" always included the idea that the block has been persistent for some time now.. why did people ignore that? just because nina says blocking disappears?

I agree completely, that should not be viewed as negative. Also if the Greenland block hadn't re-established itself it would be warming up. I originally went with the warmer 2nd half of winter as well. It just shows he is going with the trends, because I'll say now the trend was not cold, cold cold. Last week. AO - Arctic Oscillation is just now today showing a increasingly negative trend. But I agree with it now as there is much more evidence.

Didnt JB say January would be a blowtorch and winter would end in the east in Dec?

I cant understand this mindset at all, what should he just stick with a forecast that he now believes to be wrong. Everyone acknowledges long-term forecasting isn't an exact science. If he sees evidence pointing to a very cold january now, should he just ignore it, put his head in the sand, and stick with warmer? What do you think he should do?

Yea, I remember in dec of 05 accuweather came out with a forecast map that had "much below" for Jan 06 temperature in a good chunk of the east. Then it turned out to be the warmest January on record for the lower 48.lightning.gif

Accuweather tends to overhype everything in order to turn that into $$ from marketing. Every small threat will somehow turn into a big east coast storm that will cause a blizzard and shut down large portions of the area for weeks!

Archived