Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL January 7-9 Potential Part I

earthlight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if anyone commented on this yet, but the long range GFS has some incredible cold across the whole CONUS. Literally the 0c line basically runs across the southern borders of all the southern states.

As stated yesterday by me

snapback.pngMikehobbyst, on 02 January 2011 - 10:22 AM, said:

Looking like a 3-4 week historical cold period based on the latest GFS runs of endless weeks of not breaking freezing this month. Maybe a very few days get to 35 to be realistic. The 1993-1994 cold January could be beaten is month. I think we have a chance to own that winter's cold and maybe beat it with a -8 to -10 F low in the city and -10 to -15 F lows on the island sometime this month. The scary thing it is looking very likely too and not a hype or wishing thing. Massive snowfall can come out of this crazy pattern if our opportunities phase correctly and time correctly. This could be the strongest and most severe winter since late 1970's. I would hedge on that bet right now.... I think we have a top 1 or top 2 coldest January since records were taken with a mean average temp below freezing too. This is looking historical to me. Do others see this ?? Also the AO and NAO stay negative indefinately !!!!! Coldest air from Siberia comes over too... This is too much to handle if you are a cold and snow person. I am sure everyone is stoked about this month in the northeast based on the signals alone. I do not think I am too far from reality about the cold magnitude being historic.

Actually I am with you on this prediction. Alot of younger people do not remember, but the big deal in the 70's was also frozen rivers and ice jams. The Susquehanna River was already freezing over at Harrisburg two weeks ago. If this brief warm-up is over by the middle of the week, we are in trouble. The ice in the river usually indicates very cold soil conditions- 2-3 foot frozen soils in the watershed. That is not going away soon. On top of that, little snow cover in the area except New jersey leads to deeper frozen soils. If we get a fresh snow cover on top of this, the setup is there for real cold weather and for a long duration. The ground hog just maybe frozen in his cage come February.

early march 2001

early feb 78

Yeah this is an excellent analog to last night's 0z Euro. But even in this case, the mid-level low that dropped down into the mid-Atlantic was initially an open wave in Canada that deepened steadily as it swung through. In the Euro depiction - and really most recent guidance - the polar vortex has been a well established, closed contoured (all the way to 200mb) ULL low for days.

In these cases it seems much more common for a s/w rotating around the PV to amplify and form a new closed low center southeast of the primary, as opposed to the original PV center bodily moving to Va.

Archived