Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL January 7-9 Potential Part I

earthlight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The degree of blocking this winter and last is truly amazing, and I'm sure will be the topic of many case studies for years to come. The solar part of the equation is certainly interesting, since the Sun has been ridiculously quiet for years now, and speculation is developing that it's helping us to enter a new cold era in global temperatures. As long as we stay in Ninas, the globe overall will almost certainly will cool down (the Tropics contain such a large amount of heat that a 1-2 degree drop in temps there has huge global implications), and the renewed blocking could make for much more interesting winters here for as long as it persists.

I was speaking to a relatively unknown long range guy who thinks exactly what you are saying, to a tee. La Ninas, but blocky La Ninas, will tend to dominate over the next 20-50 years, and that this is caused by solar cycles. He thinks this will lead to global cooling of sorts.

I remember NYC 1976-77 and Christmas 1980 with highs in the upper single digits and low teens and nights at -2.

Didnt NYC , was it in 1994 hit -4?

I remember a forecast for NYC once when the actually NWS call was for 0 to -10...an amazing call, just to hear it.

With this amazingly cold air in central Canada any prognostications as to how cold it can potentially get here? can we see a below zero nigh with a daytime high of 11 or 12?

I remember NYC 1976-77 and Christmas 1980 with highs in the upper single digits and low teens and nights at -2.

Didnt NYC , was it in 1994 hit -4?

I remember a forecast for NYC once when the actually NWS call was for 0 to -10...an amazing call, just to hear it.

With this amazingly cold air in central Canada any prognostications as to how cold it can potentially get here? can we see a below zero nigh with a daytime high of 11 or 12?

1/19/94 Central Park

Hi 8

Lo -2

Elizabeth

Hi 8

Lo -3

I think the highs of 8 were actually more amazing than the lows of -2 and -3.

GGEM sounds like the ensemble mean, mainly a miss, weak storm

hde_50.gif

Hmm... looks very good there. But does it lose it somehow later?

does the 0z go out to 168?

that looks like it would be a nice hit.

scoots east, perhaps grazing e-va, snj, li

12/13/1988:

See pages 13 -15:

http://journals.amet...TE%3E2.0.CO%3B2

Also discussed in Kocin Book Volume One Page 189.

There was also one in February 1990, particularly noteworthy on East End (up to 15").

The Norlun event in this case would not be so much a surprise as the fact its being so widely forecast by the models...the storm which missed in mid-December had a norlun signature on the NAM but it was modest and no other models showed it...given its been so long since the region has had a norlun event its possible we're simply seeing the models ability has increased significantly to pick them up...the last one I remember after the 1990 one was one in CNJ in 1996-1997 or so near Belmar, and that event was forecast by Mt. Holly...some parts of Monmouth county saw up to 5 inches.

it goes to hr 240...sarcus already posted the hr 168 its pretty far east, prob slides off hse. We may get grazed.

Well a huge shift from it's 12z Lakes cutter idea. Im just gonna try and make it through this weekend. Im golfing tomorrow, and snowboarding Sat and Mon. so i'll take a nice little fresh "powder" .. talk about going extremes in a matter of days..

Interesting that the forecast models available in 1988 had the region basically dry that day per the article.

In that case the low was well further offshore and of course the models were way worse...I'm not sure the resolution back then on any of the models was good enough to see a norlun feature that far from the low center.

Archived