• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL January 7-9 Potential Part I

earthlight

You werent here for last night's run were you? That was a marathon too lol.

And I thought you were a tropical wx guy, but I guess this kind of pattern is like our own version of the 2005 tropical season in terms of tracking storms and potential storms.

I come into work at 6am, so all the theatrics were already over by the time I saw the Euro :)

Tropical is my passion, but I'm still a national forecaster living/working outside of Philly, so I've got to be on top of this stuff too.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I come into work at 6am, so all the theatrics were already over by the time I saw the Euro :)

Tropical is my passion, but I'm still a national forecaster living/working outside of Philly, so I've got to be on top of this stuff too.

The 0z euro was akin to Donna from 1960 which would have made pretty much any weenie from the SE to the NE happy with its track. Im glad it happened on the 0z because if that had been on there right now, this board would be slower than what the internet was like back in the days of 14K modems lol

yeah agree, pattern is ripe for multiple snow threats, but expect major waffling on the models over the next few days...:snowman:

Yeah, I have to say following the models is almost as much fun as actually tracking a real storm (especially this year, with all the potential and suspense-- even in the near term.)

Gotta say, 23" in the bank, multiple snow threats on the horizon, only early Jan, no end in sight for the general pattern, chance of keeping snow cover for a long time since Dec 26th....Im liking this winter so far...

Yeah, this winter has been awesome so far and looks like that might continue, with a sustained cold weather pattern and multiple storm threats. I hope we get everyone in on the action with the snow.

Just to clarify

1st storm = Clipper/inverted trough at hr 120

2nd = OTS at hr 162

3rd storm = Big hit at around hr 210

this is all going change by 00z, the pattern is so fragile..I think all the possible solutions are being thrown at us right now

Totally agree.

People need to understand that in this type of set up with a very misplaced polar vortex and vorts spinning around it that all models have an extremely difficult time nailing down solutions in the medium and long range time frame.

Getting hung up on details now would just be a waste of energy.

Focus on the pattern and understand that it's ripe for good storms, and then get excited when its 1-3 days away and we are still looking at a potential threat.

I've got a 5:35 flight from ACY on Thursday night and I have to admit I'm a tad worried about this one. Seems like this winter will be remembered as the season of poorly modeled bombs :snowman:

Not that the pattern is the same nor the types of storms we're seeing, but wasnt 1993-94 the same in terms of long and mid range model inaccuracy that came into much better focus as the events were upon us? That season it seemed like the forecasts were always for changeovers and it may have mixed, but we rarely (or not at all) ever changed over to rain. The two bombs in early February were also not well forecast until right near event time.

I've got a 5:35 flight from ACY on Thursday night and I have to admit I'm a tad worried about this one. Seems like this winter will be remembered as the season of poorly modeled bombs :snowman:

U could be right, wouldn't be shocked if at least one of these Threats Elevate from a Light/Moderate snow event to an all out Bomb within 48 hrs of the event..

That's at least three runs over the past two or three days that bring borderline warning criteria snows to New York City (.7), Long Island (.75+)..and areas north and east into Southern New England. I'll take it.

that plus sustained cold and little to no chance of rain :)

Well that winter was just insane in terms of the shear number of events we had from late Dec through early march. Except for one week I think we had at least a 2" event every week, but only a handful were truly all snow events. And of course philly on south it was a very different story. I think my school closed 14 or 15 times that year since just about every storm was on a weekday..

Not that the pattern is the same nor the types of storms we're seeing, but wasnt 1993-94 the same in terms of long and mid range model inaccuracy that came into much better focus as the events were upon us? That season it seemed like the forecasts were always for changeovers and it may have mixed, but we rarely (or not at all) ever changed over to rain. The two bombs in early February were also not well forecast until right near event time.

This setup does not bode well for DC/BALT/PHL, historically speaking. Looking at the possibility of a subtropical distrubance with an established ridge out west near the 11th-13th posing a real threat to the mid-atlantic, but obviously what comes of this weekend will have a major influence on this. Fun times lie ahead!

Somebody should start a thread for 11-13th potential, IMO ;)

Archived