Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL January 7-9 Potential Part I

earthlight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

exactly-not sure what earthlight is seeing

I do, there's very high heights over Central Canada and the NAO is still favorable. Look how far west the closed ULL is initially. It's forced east before it can amplify. Things will remain mostly frozen away from the immediate coast...and that's in the worst case scenario if you ask me. The upper air height pattern would have to change significantly for a storm to cut inland. Not saying it won't happen, but we would need significant changes.

I do, there's very high heights over Central Canada and the NAO is still favorable. Look how far west the closed ULL is initially. It's forced east before it can amplify. Things will remain mostly frozen away from the immediate coast...and that's in the worst case scenario if you ask me. The upper air height pattern would have to change significantly for a storm to cut inland. Not saying it won't happen, but we would need significant changes.

its so far away there is no reason to argue over specifics....i just didnt like it closing off in MO Valley

Tremendous potential next week, 100% agree John. The first potential later this week is much higher risk, and definitely favors Eastern New England with the delayed capture of the s/w. We'll see how it goes but these next two weeks will clearly be historic across much of North America in terms of severe cold, heavy snow potential, and more massive blocking.

I sure hope not. I got 5" of rain with that storm and tropical storm force winds.

It'd help to put your location in your profile.

I had a pretty significant ice storm in CNJ with VD 2007. Was an interesting event in that regard, temps in the low-mid 20s with hvy ZR after a couple inches of sleet.

Tremendous potential next week, 100% agree John. The first potential later this week is much higher risk, and definitely favors Eastern New England with the delayed capture of the s/w. We'll see how it goes but these next two weeks will clearly be historic across much of North America in terms of severe cold, heavy snow potential, and more massive blocking.

+10

It'd help to put your location in your profile.

I had a pretty significant ice storm in CNJ with VD 2007. Was an interesting event in that regard, temps in the low-mid 20s with hvy ZR after a couple inches of sleet.

V day was an interesting storm for me here. Got like 7" of sleet. Rain line went right up to Philly, and being 15 miles NW I managed to stay all sleet which was kinda awesome.

I'm not saying it will happen as such, but compare the surface and 500 millibar thickness maps to the Jan 1996 storm and you will find some interesting similarities leading up to it as the GFS hits the 150+ hour mark.

yeah i can see it kinda, the huge closed off trough over the east :devilsmiley:

lets see what the euro says

V day was an interesting storm for me here. Got like 7" of sleet. Rain line went right up to Philly, and being 15 miles NW I managed to stay all sleet which was kinda awesome.

Yeah the sleet line was just to my north, as someone about 2 miles N of me near the border of Colts Neck/Holmdel had like 5-6" of sleet. Then 3-5 miles south of here it was all rain. A very thin but significant stripe of icing through central Monmouth County. I'm back at Nova next week so it'd be nice to ring in the New Year with a day or two off. :thumbsup:

Yeah the sleet line was just to my north, as someone about 2 miles N of me near the border of Colts Neck/Holmdel had like 5-6" of sleet. Then 3-5 miles south of here it was all rain. A very thin but significant stripe of icing through central Monmouth County. I'm back at Nova next week so it'd be nice to ring in the New Year with a day or two off. :thumbsup:

I remember that was the storm the models were showing 2 feet plus about 72 hours out. That was a very depressing turn around.

What an excellent look on the gfs, I'm def looking forward to the Jan 11-13 potential, it looks more legit to me. I don't think the storm will be inland, there's a lot of cold air out there and there is a strong enough high in SE Canada that would favor a transfer offshore. We'd have a CAD in place no matter what and get frozen precip. In the worst case, we would see a big sleet or ice storm and the best case, a big snowstorm. I'm not giving up on the earlier potential either, I think we'll see 1-3/2-4" from it. This is beyond 3-4 days and we know how quickly the models can change their minds in that amount of time :whistle:

Archived