Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL January 7-9 Potential Part I

earthlight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ehh, again another "step in the right direction". We're very close to having a good storm on this run, but need 1 or 2 more improvements to take place. The S/W needs to dig more and not have to compete with so many other vorts like the GFS has. Hopefully this doesn't become another "all or nothing" storm like the last one. It's great for people that get all, but obviously sucks for people that get nothing.

Ehh, again another "step in the right direction". We're very close to having a good storm on this run, but need 1 or 2 more improvements to take place. The S/W needs to dig more and not have to compete with so many other vorts like the GFS has. Hopefully this doesn't become another "all or nothing" storm like the last one. It's great for people that get all, but obviously sucks for people that get nothing.

for which storm??? the weekend storm?

you mean all we need is the PV to dig all the way down to the virginia coast? climatologically its not likely to happen

from my view that isnt a S/W it the PV...please correct me if im wrong....

Actually, this run was an improvement from the 18z--look at how much more consolidated the energy is at 102 hours on the 0z GFS vs 108 hours on the 18z GFS.

No doubt it gets captured in time to nail someone, maybe even Boston again this run. But we need it maybe 100 miles SW of where the GFS has it now. The Euro's consistency in giving us at least a notable event is encouraging, as are the overall positive trends at 500mb. But this could still lurch either way in the end-to a monster amplified solution or a weak progressive solution.

I guess the silver lining if this weekend threat fails is that a weaker storm lifts out faster for the next one.

weaker/stronger at the surface doesnt make such a big diff. Look at h5...there is a 510DM polar vortex that needs to move out...

you mean all we need is the PV to dig all the way down to the virginia coast? climatologically its not likely to happen

from my view that isnt a S/W it the PV...please correct me if im wrong....

The S/W diving west and south of the PV needs to be consolidated and strong, which would bring the PV down along with it to an extent. The broadness of the PV is a result of the broadness and sheared out nature of the S/W, and ultimately keeps it too far north to organize in time.

And you're right, climatologically an outcome like the extreme isn't favored, but we also have quite an extreme pattern about to transpire. Blocking like we're seeing now and have recently seen comes around once in how long, a decade or more? Especially in a strong ENSO state? That's why the extreme solution can't be discounted.

through 150hr, jan 10th time frame, looks cold and dry.. Ridge just starting to come onshore out west..

This entire run looks very much like the 12z GGEM if you ask me. The next system at 150 looks like it's going to cut. The northern stream at 500mb is already positively tilted, even though the southern stream is quite zonal.

This entire run looks very much like the 12z GGEM if you ask me. The next system at 150 looks like it's going to cut. The northern stream at 500mb is already positively tilted, even though the southern stream is quite zonal.

i assume you mean negatively? lol

183, 538dm closed off low over the mizz area, just a blob of precip throughout the oh/ms river valley..

i assume you mean negatively? lol

183, 538dm closed off low over the mizz area, just a blob of precip throughout the oh/ms river valley..

Yep...thanks :arrowhead:

The GFS gets very wacky after hour 150 lol. The low seems to go everywhere, popping secondaries here and there and broadening its area of low pressure.

this is just weird...

shows a coastal hugger from 189-240.. BL issues 1-95 east... genereal .5" -up to 1.5" in some spots.... wouldn't be all snow though.... just weird..

itsnice, i guess it cant cut any further west due to the blocking.

Archived