• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
00z Euro 1-3-2011

While the gfs has been trending away from the huge coastal bomb up the eastern seaboard, it seems like the 00z Euro has other idea... wow!

Things really get cranking at 120 hours... yes thats the polar vortex in North Carolina

mmwrjb.gif

By 144 hours, the coastal low is all wrapped up and starting to weaken as it merges with the 500mb low.

16kxnwh.gif

At 168 hours, the next southern stream impulse moves in, dumping snowfall across the deep south.

veas1h.gif

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the gfs has been trending away from the huge coastal bomb up the eastern seaboard, it seems like the 00z Euro has other idea... wow!

Things really get cranking at 120 hours... yes thats the polar vortex in North Carolina

mmwrjb.gif

By 144 hours, the coastal low is all wrapped up and starting to weaken as it merges with the 500mb low.

16kxnwh.gif

At 168 hours, the next southern stream impulse moves in, dumping snowfall across the deep south.

veas1h.gif

Do you honestly believe the Polar Vortex is going to drop to Virginia and the Carolinas? I give this run 0% chance of verifying.

Do you honestly believe the Polar Vortex is going to drop to Virginia and the Carolinas? I give this run 0% chance of verifying.

I agree... I think this run looks highly suspect with regards to the first system dropping down like that. We don't have nearly enough amplification off to the west to support such a massive dive in the PV. This run also shows some significant discontinuity from the last several runs of the EURO. However, I like the similar handling of the southern stream s/w which is very similar to the gfs. Still fun to post since the Euro is still considered to have the best accuracy at day 5 out of all the global models.

The ensembles of many models have been indicating the possibility of coastal re-development near the DelMarva with a stalling/bombing off of the low near the NJ coast for many days now. This solution does not surprise me in the least. This is exactly what the ensembles have been trying to tell us for days.

The ensembles of many models have been indicating the possibility of coastal re-development near the DelMarva with a stalling/bombing off of the low near the NJ coast for many days now. This solution does not surprise me in the least. This is exactly what the ensembles have been trying to tell us for days.

The way those solutions occur is different then the Euro though, I am not discounting a storm there, just not how the Euro depicts it.

The way those solutions occur is different then the Euro though, I am not discounting a storm there, just not how the Euro depicts it.

Agreed. Has the PV ever dipped even close to that far south? How about a phase with a coastal low? It just seems so unlikely that it would actually happen, even though it's not like it defies the laws of physics. I don't know, that's why I'm asking you...

Agreed. Has the PV ever dipped even close to that far south? How about a phase with a coastal low? It just seems so unlikely that it would actually happen, even though it's not like it defies the laws of physics. I don't know, that's why I'm asking you...

The first question I can't remember the last time, but I'm young an older met probably would have that answer.The second question it has happened before.

Not saying I buy this solution but I am curious why we are getting explosive developement off the coast. I notice a weak reflection on the surface and at 500mb of some sort of energy passing through the southern ohio valley and the Carolinas. So my question is, are we getting a phase here or is the low imbedded in the PV doing all this on its own when it hits the coast?

What an amazingly complex system coming up. Every model run has had an entirely different solution, and it all seems to be in the timing of the energy rotating around our PV. Snowgoose, is that map from 85 showing essentially a similar way we got the PV so far South? Was the blocking centered in the same general area?

What an amazingly complex system coming up. Every model run has had an entirely different solution, and it all seems to be in the timing of the energy rotating around our PV. Snowgoose, is that map from 85 showing essentially a similar way we got the PV so far South? Was the blocking centered in the same general area?

Block had backed its way into N-central Canada W of Greenland

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/gen_reanal-u.cgi?re=nhem≤=500&va=hght&in=60&pl=cf&yy=1985&mm=01&dd=20&hh=12&overlay=no≤=&va=&in=&pl=ln&yy=&mm=&dd=&hh=

Was looking over the GFS ensemble members and found almost a mirror image of the Euro. Only major difference was the PV was displaced a couple of hundred miles to the east on the GFS.

Just thought it was interesting that the evolution of the PV was very similiar.

96 hr

120 hr

Thought I would also mention that 5 other members show a similiar look with the PV set up at 120 hrs as the Op Euro does.

The 80s as snowless as they were with a positive NAO had way more massive arctic outbreaks than the 2000s.

The 80's were not "snowless" for everyone, as the south MA actually witnessed 4 winters with above normal snowfall and 6 with below normal. 86-87 dumped more than 200% of normal snowfall over much of Virginia.

Was looking over the GFS ensemble members and found almost a mirror image of the Euro. Only major difference was the PV was displaced a couple of hundred miles to the east on the GFS.

Just thought it was interesting that the evolution of the PV was very similiar.

96 hr

120 hr

Thanks...I just finished my morning GFS digest and went to the Euro thread....and ponder the same .......

Ducks on the pond! (that does not mean another bomb storm for NJ.....but if I were planning a ski trip to new england.....I would have a growing smile at this point.

Hope everyone enjoyed the warm up.....now can we proceed to bust winter 2010/2011 long range forecasts? ;)

Thanks...I just finished my morning GFS digest and went to the Euro thread....and ponder the same .......

Ducks on the pond! (that does not mean another bomb storm for NJ.....but if I were planning a ski trip to new england.....I would have a growing smile at this point.

Hope everyone enjoyed the warm up.....now can we proceed to bust winter 2010/2011 long range forecasts? ;)

Had a chance to glance over the 06Z GFS ensemble members and they had only a couple that showed a semblance of the 00Z Euro PV setup. I take anything shown on an off run of the GFS with a grain of salt though. Kind of curious what the 12Z suite will show. If we get the Euro and some support from GFS ensemble members to show a similiar setup then I will start getting a little interested.

If I were to bet though I think the final outcome will have the PV farther north then what has been showing on the models the last several days. Of course the last several years has seen the weather go to extremes, so who knows.

Archived