• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx

20 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Is it possible for it to become south based during the summer too?

We got a south based blocking pattern in the summer of 2020 which was really wet so it held the 90° days down at Newark. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We got a south based blocking pattern in the summer of 2020 which was really wet so it held the 90° days down at Newark. 

it really sounds like the reason this block is bad is because it's ocean based.  Because the waters are warmer than air temps in the winter and cooler than air temps in the spring and summer, it has the effect of smoothing out our extremes and making our winters warmer and our springs and summers cooler.

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

it really sounds like the reason this block is bad is because it's ocean based.  Because the waters are warmer than air temps in the winter and cooler than air temps in the spring and summer, it has the effect of smoothing out our extremes and making our winters warmer and our springs and summers cooler.

Yeah, it’s probably related in some way to the many marine heatwaves across the planet right now. The Euro shifts back to cooler and wetter again from Memorial Day into the start of June. So no pattern change showing up just yet. 

May 27 to June 3 EPS forecast

65CECBF4-DBCB-4539-B4EE-BF408CB639A8.thumb.webp.b3e63345f71a930347a357af918107a6.webp

2447FAF8-4309-4A32-B340-0DD1686112CD.thumb.webp.e60eb067e7b23dc7a80c974e80ca42e0.webp

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, it’s probably related in some way to the many marine heatwaves across the planet right now. The Euro shifts back to cooler and wetter again from Memorial Day into the start of June. So no pattern change showing up just yet. 

May 27 to June 3 EPS forecast

65CECBF4-DBCB-4539-B4EE-BF408CB639A8.thumb.webp.b3e63345f71a930347a357af918107a6.webp

2447FAF8-4309-4A32-B340-0DD1686112CD.thumb.webp.e60eb067e7b23dc7a80c974e80ca42e0.webp

This is why to get any kind of consistent snowfall in the winter or heat in the summer you have to move away from the coast.

33 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

get your blood sugar and blood pressure checked

It's not that hot yet.  Heat really wipes me out, but okay so far.  It's been a dry heat, so far, so not so bad.  Old people are supposed to like the heat, but not me.  I melt.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

Let's see if we get bumped up to slight 

20240521_214435.jpg

I don't like how early the timing is for tomorrow. I would think areas to the south and east would be favored due to that, but I hope we get something decent. 

10 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I thought it was coming later in the day or at night?

On 3km NAM and HRRR the storms get going in the morning. Doesn't mean we won't get a decent storm, but I'm usually more confident when the timing is for later in the day. 

8 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

On 3km NAM and HRRR the storms get going in the morning. Doesn't mean we won't get a decent storm, but I'm usually more confident when the timing is for later in the day. 

Yeah it kinda looked like there were 2 rounds but morning convection usually ruins our chances for later in the day

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Yeah it kinda looked like there were 2 rounds but morning convection usually ruins our chances for later in the day

yeah stick a fork in it if there's clouds/morning garbage

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I see 12z RGEM does hit our area pretty good around midday and early afternoon. We hope! 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

This is why to get any kind of consistent snowfall in the winter or heat in the summer you have to move away from the coast.

We would be closer to 100° rather than 90° if the historic heat dome over Mexico didn’t get suppressed to our south across Florida.

https://x.com/OSUWXGUY/status/1792912484979835203

Sweltering heat looks to continue across Mexico with the ECMWF ensemble mean showing mid level height anomalies as high as 4.7 STD DEV above the climate of just the past 20 years. Suggests a probability of ~1 in 769K

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JetsPens87 said:

You need help

I've felt very dizzy in humid heat before but this is nothing like that.

I remember a day in July 1996 which was a summer with almost no 90 degree days, but we had a lot of very humid days with temps in the 80s, I felt extremely light headed on an overcast day with a temperature of 80 and a dew point of 80 (100% humidity.)  That's the lowest actual temp that ever happened to me.

Interestingly I have never had this issue when it was sunny no matter how high the temperature was, it's only when it's cloudy and extremely humid that I've ever felt light headed.

Up to 85 / 64 plenty of mid / upper 80s today. We'll see if anyone can touch 90.   Showers/storms (clouds) tomorrow but still warm. Dries out Fri (5/24) and much of Sat (5/25).  Still a bit iffy on timing of showers and rain chances this 3 day weekend between late Sat - Sun (5/26) and/or  later Sun and Memorial day (5/27).  Beyond there 5/28 - 5/30 trough into the east and overall near normal with brief warmup 5/31 with trough to open next month and a cooler first 5 days looking longer range. Beyond there height rise towards the 6th / warmer.

GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

Got to be some sort of trolling routine....

1 hour ago, winterwx21 said:

I was gonna say the same thing. It seems like an act to me. He's probably laughing when he types that crazy stuff. 

Him and Anthony are two of the biggest known trolls when it comes to this weather