Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant Miller B Nor'easter Apr 3rd-4th OBS

wxeyeNH

14 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

I'm at 83.5" on the season, 890ft - and quite a bit further south - so I believe the big numbers. Never really had a good coastal where I snuck in the goods while guys further north were sucking cirrus.

I don’t think he was questioning the validity just that it is a lot of snow for such a crappy winter. 

• Like 2

And one more thing: I friggin hate these late season stat padders. this winter sucked donkey balls. But with these late season events, it makes it look more respectable. Do Not Want. 
I was at like 38” 3 weeks ago, all of a sudden I’m in the 50’s. This is bullshit
Lol, I feel the same. We were 40" 2.5 wks ago, now 75"

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Now I’m trying to figure this out lol. Leftover upslope scraps in Norwich?

I do remember him posting about some streamer/upslope type scraps like you mentioned a number of times. It's obviously not prime upslope country, but good enough to get some leftovers? Certainly closer to the source region of orographic type snows than Gene would be.

But, I am just spit balling and he would obviously know more than me...ha.

• Like 1

Ha. 2.8”/0.42” in the last core…all snow crystals. Probably some 32° compaction in there, but growth sucked too. Was at 11.8” before I started snow blowing. Must be at an even foot by now. 

32.0° -SG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Correct 

It’s been sneaking up.

Measured 278” now at the consistent 3,000ft level.  That’s really about average.

Before we started measuring and verifying snowfall in the same location, the ski area averaged 330”.  After I started bringing some real accountability and being diligent (no optimistic estimates based on a deep pocket), our average is more around 280”.

This year is now at that level. And considering the amount of major melts, the snowpack on the hill has been decent.

I’ll have to run the numbers, but I think we are around 100” of snowfall in the past month up there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s been sneaking up.

Measured 278” now at the consistent 3,000ft level.  That’s really about average.

Before we started measuring and verifying snowfall in the same location, the ski area averaged 330”.  After I started bringing some real accountability and being diligent (no optimistic estimates based on a deep pocket), our average is more around 280”.

This year is now at that level. And considering the amount of major melts, the snowpack on the hill has been decent.

I’ll have to run the numbers, but I think we are around 100” of snowfall in the past month up there.

But that isn’t the official snow measurement for Mansfield right? Or is the official measurement for Mansfield just the daily snow stake reading?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

But that isn’t the official snow measurement for Mansfield right? Or is the official measurement for Mansfield just the daily snow stake reading?

There is no official snow measurement for Mansfield.  It is done by agents of the ski area.  Only the settled “Stake” depth is an independent NWS reading via camera.  If anyone says Stake up here, everyone knows it’s that depth one off the Toll Road.

I’m all for the science of the mountain… some call it transparency but I know I am in a position to create comparable data, not just estimates.  It is what it is, and I like that approach.  We try to provide reliable snowfall totals to the masses, and even report rainfall.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

There is no official snow measurement for Mansfield.  It is done by agents of the ski area.  Only the settled “Stake” depth is an independent NWS reading via camera.  If anyone says Stake up here, everyone knows it’s that depth one off the Toll Road.

I’m all for the science of the mountain… some call it transparency but I know I am in a position to create comparable data, not just estimates.  It is what it is, and I like that approach.  We try to provide reliable snowfall totals to the masses, and even report rainfall.

Your approach is what it should be. I wish more could do it. You guys should make all that snowfall data at 3K public. Maybe you already do, but I think you said you guys keep it on file.

• Like 3

It’s been sneaking up.

It’s going to be average here, maybe even a little above..impressive considering 3 melts to almost zero this season. Decent snow still...28 degrees. I can’t get any models because of the internet, so don’t know what latest runs look like, but just staying like this all night puts us 25-30 range for first chair.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

I’d say last deep one. Jay has already committed to may 5th, maybe longer, so not sure id go 100 percent last powder day..it’s been a crazy year.

Yeah Jay’s late closing always opens up the possibility… it’s bound to snow again, but this one has been fun.

Overall, this is only 750ft but it just keeps snowing wet paste here.  Over 15” here in the valley is a big storm.

IMG_9150.thumb.jpeg.2605187e7038338c819f77afc0562ed7.jpeg

• Like 4