Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024 Disco- SNE’s favorite month

HoarfrostHubb

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Prohibitive favorite for top diurnal spread today...

Bottomed out at 29 around 5:50 am just before the dimmer switch started elevating the light.  It is onw 56 already.  A 27 F correction thru 9:40 am.  

850 mb Ts mature to +3 by 21z ... I doubt the mixing hgt gets that tall but we'll see.  The sun is pretty ferocious now and sat and sky truth are both diamond clear with 0 inclusions.   So the super adiabatic layer at the bottom will be violently bouncing against the ceiling. It may be a late high ... between 4 and 5 pm.

Had a 39° diurnal range on Eclipse Day (62/23).  Forecast max is 59, which would be a 38° range so that 4/8 span is in play.  Greatest range here was 52° (29/-23) in Feb 2002.

20 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Had a 39° diurnal range on Eclipse Day (62/23).  Forecast max is 59, which would be a 38° range so that 4/8 span is in play.  Greatest range here was 52° (29/-23) in Feb 2002.

We should also also qualify the contest.  Ha!

I mean this is the 'solar forcing' contest.   Yeah, I've witnessed more.  I actually saw a 54 F spread in January 1994.  It was a +9 F at dawn; 63 F that evening at 9pm with southerly whole gales leanin' tree tops and plumes of steam rollin' off of snow banks. 

Different beast.  

These spring diurnal wars between Earth and sun are interesting for a excruciating dweeb like myself; the Earth's will to keep it miserably cold at this time of year, gets its ass thoroughly tanned  by a boarding school nun sun. 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

We should also also qualify the contest.  Ha!

I mean this is the 'solar forcing' contest.   Yeah, I've witnessed more.  I actually saw a 54 F spread in January 1994.  It was a +9 F at dawn; 63 F that evening at 9pm with southerly whole gales leanin' tree tops and plumes of steam rollin' off of snow banks. 

Different beast.  

These spring diurnal wars between Earth and sun are interesting for a excruciating dweeb like myself; the Earth's will to keep it miserably cold at this time of year, gets its ass thoroughly tanned  by a boarding school nun sun. 

Those days where it’s -20F in the mountain valleys up here in the morning and raining at 34F by dinner, lol.  Those are the memorable ones.

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Maybe because winter blew salty balls, but I’ve been enjoying April. We’ve had some nice days and it provides a path to completely forget the past winter.

It’s really nice out.

24F to 57F already before 11am.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Maybe because winter blew salty balls, but I’ve been enjoying April. We’ve had some nice days and it provides a path to completely forget the past winter.

Agreed, but I can understand this is highly dependent on where you are within the region. We've certainly had some crummy days but we've had a share of very pleasant ones as well. But I get that hasn't been the case for everyone. 

6 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I probably mentioned it here before but I have bad seasonal affective disorder and hopefully when I retire in a few years I can head south for at least a warmer (sunnier?) climate 

And more daylight.  That's the thing that gets me in the winter....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I probably mentioned it here before but I have bad seasonal affective disorder and hopefully when I retire in a few years I can head south for at least a warmer (sunnier?) climate 

Just give it a few more years and that climate will be here before you know it. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Looks like 12z guidance ticked a few degrees warmer for tomorrow night? At least across a few locations. I guess it is all going to come down to if we maintain enough of a wind to keep things mixed. 

There’s going to be wind Wed night. CAA sub 32s. 

• Like 1

Just now, dendrite said:

There’s going to be wind Wed night. CAA sub 32s. 

I was wondering how much CAA would factor in. I looked quickly but it seemed like the strongest CAA was moreso during the day than at night? I don't know if it's worth it or not to see how they fare across portions of Wisconsin/Michigan tonight, if anything just a general idea of how they performed in relation to guidance. Looks like the brunt of the airmass though arrives more from Canada. 

Unless you were copying and pasting a weather app.. this week always looked like sunny and mild to warm Monday and Tuesday with a one day mild down Thursday and Friday rebound with some fake cool nights.  Whenever the sun is out this time of year you add on at least 5 degrees to machine numbers . 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I was wondering how much CAA would factor in. I looked quickly but it seemed like the strongest CAA was moreso during the day than at night? I don't know if it's worth it or not to see how they fare across portions of Wisconsin/Michigan tonight, if anything just a general idea of how they performed in relation to guidance. Looks like the brunt of the airmass though arrives more from Canada. 

Point was we’re probably staying mixed. If anyone actually radiates in the valleys, like the Xmas trees in Fakersville, it could get ugly. 

GFS up to it's usual unique talent to wall off warmth from getting N next week...

That huge ridge at mid and upper levels .. yet it somehow engineers the means to keep a cool E flow from ORD to Boston

• Like 1
  • Sad 1