Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024 Disco- SNE’s favorite month

HoarfrostHubb

48 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

ty! i didnt see anything past 2/17 for you on SNE page, is 24.3 the final for you?

and whereabouts in southbury are you, its a large town

I believe that was it. Don’t remember anything of significance since that event. 

I’m up the hill between exit 15 and 16 off 84. East side of town. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I believe that was it. Don’t remember anything of significance since that event. 

I’m up the hill between exit 15 and 16 off 84. East side of town. 

@The 4 SeasonsI think there may have been a 1-2” penny event post 2/17. Do you recall one on a saturday in late Feb away from the shoreline?

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

@The 4 SeasonsI think there may have been a 1-2” penny event post 2/17. Do you recall one on a saturday in late Feb away from the shoreline?

Nothing that would have affected us. Except maybe 4/4 for you other than that i dont have any CT maps after 2/17. Just 3 events that were far interior MA elevated events. 3/11, 3/23 and 4/4

04_04.24_jdj_v3_ct_snowfall_totals.thumb.jpg.76041d064b2065e3e7796feb98da5891.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

This is the third and final update to the season snowfall maps for Winter 2023-2024, as of April 10th 2024. If there's any additional accums ill update it.

I've been going back and creating new seasonal snowfall maps for the past 25 years for SNE so i changed the ranges from 10 to 20" ranges to feet so it's now 6"  to 12" to 24" and this will be the same for all the other maps. 

If anyone has any corrections or additional reports i will gladly add them, just let me know. Everything on here is pulled from the SNE snow page by Kevin, COOP, CoCoRahs, climo sites and NOAA NOHRSC.

05_01.24_jdj_v3_sne_seasonal_snowfall.thumb.jpg.5f23a9181d2814c4058f83a1905af0a3.jpg

05_01.24_jdj_v3_ct_seasonal_snowfall.thumb.jpg.7b263eae27354407c4f770f260ca6576.jpg

Thanks for the map, I'm surprised I got over 20 inches, I guess those 1-2 inchers add up over a full season.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

This is the third and final update to the season snowfall maps for Winter 2023-2024, as of April 10th 2024. If there's any additional accums ill update it.

I've been going back and creating new seasonal snowfall maps for the past 25 years for SNE so i changed the ranges from 10 to 20" ranges to feet so it's now 6"  to 12" to 24" and this will be the same for all the other maps. 

If anyone has any corrections or additional reports i will gladly add them, just let me know. Everything on here is pulled from the SNE snow page by Kevin, COOP, CoCoRahs, climo sites and NOAA NOHRSC.

05_01.24_jdj_v3_sne_seasonal_snowfall.thumb.jpg.5f23a9181d2814c4058f83a1905af0a3.jpg

05_01.24_jdj_v3_ct_seasonal_snowfall.thumb.jpg.7b263eae27354407c4f770f260ca6576.jpg

I’ll try to confirm here,  but that is just an exercise of torture. 

• Haha 2

Typically the operational runs will be more amplified than their greater numbered ens means diluting the outlook - particularly further out in time. However, the operational GFS's 00z and 06z runs were excessive to me. 

It regresses the local hemisphere back an entire month or more, relative to climatology. 

I tend not to believe that.   Something about the physics of present state of the ambient field on our side of the N. Hemisphere is constructively interfering with the GFS native tendency to have cold heights/bias, out in time. It's like the nursing staff forgot it's daily Thorazine dose and it went manic with it's native tendency.  

It may not be just the operational version, either.  I compared the GEFs vs the EPS and GEPs and it's entire N. Hemisphere is eye-ball averaging some 10 dm colder overall compared to the former ens means once we get out to D9 ( 00z suite).

Short version, the GEFs forecast system is systemically cold - perhaps too much so ... - and I am suspicious of that.  I've seen the GFS do this pretty much every year since they started ensemble line pumping out new GFS model versions every year - a practice that began circa 2015.   It tends to modulate the field toward a cold bias out in time, which of course consequentially might make it bad at modulating for spring warming.  It just does this in the spring and puts out a series of charts like it gives up and runs back to Feb 20th

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Rest of month doesn’t look so good. The past three days tricked us…

21st on is ugly but next week should have some great COC days but endless DIT summer, yea not so much. Almost a repete of second half of Morch. 

20240411_101334.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Typically the operational runs will be more amplified than their greater numbered ens means diluting the outlook - particularly further out in time. However, the operational GFS's 00z and 06z runs were excessive to me. 

It regresses the local hemisphere back an entire month or more, relative to climatology. 

I tend not to believe that.   Something about the physics of present state of the ambient field on our side of the N. Hemisphere is constructively interfering with the GFS native tendency to have cold heights/bias, out in time. It's like the nursing staff forgot it's daily Thorazine dose and it went manic with it's native tendency.  

It may not be just the operational version, either.  I compared the GEFs vs the EPS and GEPs and it's entire N. Hemisphere is eye-ball averaging some 10 dm colder overall compared to the former ens means once we get out to D9 ( 00z suite).

Short version, the GEFs forecast system is systemically cold - perhaps too much so ... - and I am suspicious of that.  I've seen the GFS do this pretty much every year since they started ensemble line pumping out new GFS model versions every year - a practice that began circa 2015.   It tends to modulate the field toward a cold bias out in time, which of course consequentially might make it bad at modulating for spring warming.  It just does this in the spring and puts out a series of charts like it gives up and runs back to Feb 20th

EPS is trending towards GEFS though. Need to get the final Strat warning over before we can lock in warmth. Maybe 2nd week of May? This weekend is no heater for sure.  GEFS had this LR. First 2 images are 60 hrs out. Then 5 day averages day 10 to 15

index (45).png

index (46).png

index (47).png

index (48).png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

EPS is trending towards GEFS though. Need to get the final Strat warning over before we can lock in warmth. Maybe 2nd week of May? This weekend is no heater for sure.  GEFS had this LR. First 2 images are 60 hrs out. Then 5 day averages day 10 to 15

index (45).png

index (46).png

index (47).png

index (48).png

Yeah honestly I wasn't looking at the 'trend' per se - as in comparing to a span of recent cycles.  I was just looking at the 00z cross model comparison, and it immediately reminded my of what the GFS does in springs sometimes. 

I still would venture the GFS is too deep in general though.

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah honestly I wasn't looking at the 'trend' per se - as in comparing to a span of recent cycles.  I was just looking at the 00z cross model comparison, and it immediately reminded my of what the GFS does in springs sometimes. 

I still would venture the GFS is too deep in general though.

Yea op runs certainly are a crap shoot

OT ...when I was young, the isobaric gradient on weather charts was always 1008, 1012, 1016.  Whether displayed in weather books, or on the evening weather reports, that seemed to be a standard interval = 4mb. 

When did this change and why?  

I'm sure there's a "reason" that it is absolutely necessary (<_<), but I wonder if it's "really" just because graphics tech is advanced enough to make for dramatic looking weather products for sale. What do I know.   When I was young in this business ... I had a pretty good handle on wind just by the familiarization I had evolved over the year using the 4 mb differential. 

I'm sure I can adapt and probably should have by now but it's annoying when everything looks likes 50 mph rest state velocity wind must be carrying on.