• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 General Discussion

I currently remain just on the southern edge of the snow with large flakes and good rates.  Not sure it is going to last much longer based on radar but this has been quite the surprise today.  A good 5" so far :snowing:.  Area's just to my north right on the Livingston/Genesis boarder I would not be surprised to hear of 6-8" totals.  :snowwindow:

• Like 2

Razor sharp cutoff in wayne/washtenaw County. I received 0.4" (season to date 21.2") and DTW also received 0.4" (season to date 23.4"). Meanwhile northern parts of the County had a solid 4-5". 

Drove 25-30 minutes to Belle Isle in Detroit and it was a mid-winter wonderland after just a dusting at home. Naturally I was pissed, but it would have been a thousand times worse if it was during winter. A lot easier to take in spring.   

My sister lives on the lakeshore in southern macomb county (alek-esque), usually one of the worst spots for snow in SE MI but she was one of the jackpot areas with around 5". The irony is, her snow depth peaked in January at just 4" (when most of the metro was 6-8") so technically today was her deepest of the season.

FB_IMG_1711143612607.thumb.jpg.cf56491f6c10e8e4b2c7fb0d0103d1fe.jpg

My backyard (L) and Belle Isle (R), a mere 30 minute drive away.

FB_IMG_1711143623164.thumb.jpg.bf1b1dd801965d0268b2f7adbf2b7463.jpg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

Looks like you guys are starting to be due as well. That’s 15 years since you’ve seen one. 

Yeah. Over the course of history, there have been a handful of really potent storms after mid March, but we really haven't had one in a while. But on the other hand, the number of 3-5" type snows past mid March, especially in April, has really been impressive in recent years.

Current NWS thinking, this only goes out to Monday morning when it’ll be switching to rain in the metro but still hammering points NW. There could be some 24”+ totals across central/north central Minnesota. I’m expecting the low to bump a bit north of current guidance and cut totals some more here but hopefully the opposite happens.  

F573686A-D3BC-48D0-A971-BD8778044858.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

Seen a CoCoRaHS measurement in canton I wonder which one of y’all it is lmao

It's that guy that rarely reports. I don't think he's on here tbh. Shocking that because I left, Canton out-snowed mby, lol

image.png.e7e5b9e33c8515fabc307f3253d6a266.png

Per the storm reports it seems 4-5" is the rule from that mesoscale band that affected areas between I-94 and M-59 this morning across the Detroit area.

Considering these areas were only expected to get 1-3" at most, that's a decent bust in a good way.

Only reached 48, temps significantly underperformed with the afternoon cloud cover and "warm" air advection. NWS ILN seems to treating it like it was one of the most siginificant underperformances ever.

Daytime highs today underperformed thanks to northerly flow and
decent cloud cover. Therefore, temperatures are in the upper 30s
to low 40s across the region at the time of this writing.
Overnight lows fall to the mid/low 30s across the region, but by
the time subfreezing thermal profiles arrive, precipitation will
have tapered off for the most part. Therefore, not anticipating
anything other than a cold rain and possibly a brief rain/snow
mix for some isolated areas.

@michsnowfreak. @SnowstormsTheres going to be some wild difference in snow totals across GTA 

Pearson will end up middle ground. Looks like 6-10” east end. 4-6” Airport and 1-3” for my place and west end. 

Hamilton and my place is now pretty much locked into seeing one of the worst winters snow wise ever. 

Still up in the air with Pearson 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

@michsnowfreak. @SnowstormsTheres going to be some wild difference in snow totals across GTA 

Pearson will end up middle ground. Looks like 6-10” east end. 4-6” Airport and 1-3” for my place and west end. 

Hamilton and my place is now pretty much locked into seeing one of the worst winters snow wise ever. 

I just measured 6.2" in my backyard. Great storm. 

This storm will push YYZ ahead of 06-07 and 15-16, which would put it at 6th lowest ever. 

If we used a combination of Toronto and North York (1840-present) then 2023-24 would be 4th lowest lol. Doesn't matter how we spin it, this winter was a monstrosity for all of us. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 7:39 PM, michsnowfreak said:

So not as many as I recalled. Quite a few in the 3-5" range but only 2 officially 6+ post Mar 15th since 2000.

7.2"- Apr 5/6, 2009

7.3"- Mar 21/22, 2008

I had an 8" storm Mar 25/26, 2002 where DTW only had 4.7" (huge cutoff).

For us, the two most recent late winter storms would have to be (not including today):

Apr 3/4, 2016 - 5.5" 

Mat 23, 2011 - 5.0" 

Our climo supports more smaller events (<3") than bigger storms after mid March. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

I just measured 6.2" in my backyard. Great storm. 

This storm will push YYZ ahead of 06-07 and 15-16, which would put it at 6th lowest ever. 

If we used a combination of Toronto and North York (1840-present) then 2023-24 would be 4th lowest lol. Doesn't matter how we spin it, this winter was a monstrosity for all of us. 

Ended up with about 2.5" here. Overall that puts it within the 2-6" that most were expecting across southern Ontario. I imagine someone in east end got 8" 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Looks like southern/central macomb over to Oakland have done well and the band has been parked over them for awhile and still is. 

Yeah we had 4" here in Eastpointe.

• Like 1

Bottomed out at 18 here this morning under what remains of yesterdays snow. 

NWS is really stressing that snow depth will be much lower then final storm totals due to compaction/rain. They must be prepared for the onslaught of complaints when a location reports 12” and there’s only 6-7” in peoples backyards. 

Latest for my neck of the woods. Blizzard warning issued already along North Shore. A mix is possible Monday aftrn, and winds should start to slackin then too, as LP gets closer. Now lets see if this big dog produces. :) 

Southern Lake-Southern Cook-
Including the cities of Two Harbors, Silver Bay, and Grand Marais
335 AM CDT Sat Mar 23 2024

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM SUNDAY TO 7 PM CDT
TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions expected. Total snow accumulations
  of 14 to 19 inches and ice accumulations of around two tenths
  of an inch. Winds gusting as high as 55 mph.
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

If you're going to get screwed on a storm/cutoff, no better time than Spring. The snow just gets obliterated in the sun. Built an Easter snow bunny with my nephews at my sister's house, and despite the cold and dry air, sun is just killing the snow. Needless to say my half inch is gone. What's YYZ season? Are they the only station in Toronto that does snow?

DTW is at 23.5". If no more measurable snow falls, this would rank as the 18th least snowy winter. A terrible season regardless, but January January'd so that gave the middle finger to those wishing for true futility. Detroit city probably got about 5" to DTWs 0.5" yesterday, but the season would be a wash I'm sure, as DTW frequently gets more than the city, and I can confirm this in January. Detroit city has not had snow measurements in over 50 years.

In my 29 years of measuring snow in my backyard, this is only my 4th season in the 20s, and my lowest of the entire lot at 21.2". The previous low was 25.5" in 2011-12 & high 96.2" in 2013-14. Hoping year #30 is a good season next year!

FB_IMG_1711222538911.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Do you keep track of daily snow in Eastpointe or just some events?

Just some, I don't have the time here so I call in usually with big events. I do know we get shafted a lot tho comparatively.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Just some, I don't have the time here so I call in usually with big events. I do know we get shafted a lot tho comparatively.

My sister has lived in Saint Clair Shores for 10 years now and the number of times we get more snow than her far outnumbers times we get less (don't think I don't ask for updates in our group text every single snowfall:lol:). But yesterday they got nailed. Seemed quite high ratio too. When I was out with my nephews, the snow in the shaded areas remained fluffy while in the sun it was great packing and rapidly melting.

10 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

My sister has lived in Saint Clair Shores for 10 years now and the number of times we get more snow than her far outnumbers times we get less (don't think I don't ask for updates in our group text every single snowfall:lol:). But yesterday they got nailed. Seemed quite high ratio too. When I was out with my nephews, the snow in the shaded areas remained fluffy while in the sun it was great packing and rapidly melting.

I can confirm second hand.

My mom said there was enough snow for her neighbor to pull out the snow blower.

She was tiffed too because she was telling me Kim Adams swore much of the snow would fall north of the city the night before (and in all fairness, that's what the models indicated as well). She about blew a gasket when she looked out the window yesterday morning. :lol:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

If you're going to get screwed on a storm/cutoff, no better time than Spring. The snow just gets obliterated in the sun. Built an Easter snow bunny with my nephews at my sister's house, and despite the cold and dry air, sun is just killing the snow. Needless to say my half inch is gone. What's YYZ season? Are they the only station in Toronto that does snow?

DTW is at 23.5". If no more measurable snow falls, this would rank as the 18th least snowy winter. A terrible season regardless, but January January'd so that gave the middle finger to those wishing for true futility. Detroit city probably got about 5" to DTWs 0.5" yesterday, but the season would be a wash I'm sure, as DTW frequently gets more than the city, and I can confirm this in January. Detroit city has not had snow measurements in over 50 years.

In my 29 years of measuring snow in my backyard, this is only my 4th season in the 20s, and my lowest of the entire lot at 21.2". The previous low was 25.5" in 2011-12 & high 96.2" in 2013-14. Hoping year #30 is a good season next year!

FB_IMG_1711222538911.jpg

Toronto is at 26” which is right now the 7th least snow season. Assuming we get about 2” more it would keep it right about top 10 

The east end and a bit further north GTA is probably around 30” but no official airport measurements 

Hamilton and west end GTA got wrecked this year. Top 5 worst snow season and sitting at 16” at Hamilton airport 

The last few years the snow-rain line has been about 25 miles further south so GTA has been getting good winters but Rochester and them screwed. This year the rain snow line moved a bit further north so the city is now separated as the eastern suburbs doubled the western suburbs 

• Like 1