Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024

TriPol

11 hours ago, JetsPens87 said:

Thanks rjay. I've been on hiatus from weather boards for 2 years almost (twins will take up some time hah). Tried to go back to the 'other' and it's insufferable. 

Mine will turn 15 end of month-those first 2 yrs are tough.  Gets alot easier after that

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

Windy today? 

My bar supposedly blew over at some point overnight and according to my wife there is broken glass all over the place on my porch. I just got back from LA last night so if I would have known I would have put the bar away. I hate friggin wind. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Good to see others also noticing how the teleconnection patterns aren’t as cold as they used to be.

Interesting about how the LR models go to past climo-It looked like alot of them had a classic El Nino pattern in the LR (which were often dead wrong)-I wondered whether it was weighted towards climo....

13 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Interesting about how the LR models go to past climo-It looked like alot of them had a classic El Nino pattern in the LR (which were often dead wrong)-I wondered whether it was weighted towards climo....

but it never felt like a classic El Niño

The autumn leading up to it wasn’t that warm. Even December wasn’t that warm until we got to that last week and a half.

I mean, I say that with a grain of salt because everything is warm now.

Then, when we got to January, any of the El Niño bag of tricks, kind of sputtered out.

You could see where the big storms were supposed to be. The pattern was there, but in each of the cases, the cold air just wasn’t in place or available, and it ended up being a 2-3 inch type of thing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

That’s why all the EPS extended forecasts beyond day 15 defaulted to the past El Niño climo expectations of a trough in the East and a more robust Aleutian low. Instead we got the ridge south of the Aleutians and a very strong ridge in the East. This matches the La Niña background state over the past decade with frequent and amplified MJO 4-7 phases.

054D3D79-D178-4D4F-8C14-3084FB6B88BD.jpeg.0f86bcb62095145dbd1e402c12dab9d2.jpeg

AE68EF4C-6A01-4D90-BFD2-B62968293407.jpeg.d62cdf3cd022dc3583faeddbeddef53d.jpeg

EE7FD2AC-253E-4473-A8D0-A9C0430C8A7F.jpeg.83b29cd7a9052f612e5588c45b6e208c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That’s why all the EPS extended forecasts beyond day 15 defaulted to the past El Niño climo expectations of a trough in the East and a more robust Aleutian low. Instead we got the ridge south of the Aleutians and a very strong ridge in the East. This matches the La Niña background state over the past decade with frequent and amplified MJO 4-7 phases.

054D3D79-D178-4D4F-8C14-3084FB6B88BD.jpeg.0f86bcb62095145dbd1e402c12dab9d2.jpeg

AE68EF4C-6A01-4D90-BFD2-B62968293407.jpeg.d62cdf3cd022dc3583faeddbeddef53d.jpeg

EE7FD2AC-253E-4473-A8D0-A9C0430C8A7F.jpeg.83b29cd7a9052f612e5588c45b6e208c.jpeg

Very early obviously, but it’s looking like yet another La Niña (possibly strong), -PDO, ++AMO and blazing WPAC SSTs on the way again for next fall/winter. Groundhog Day continues 

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

Windy today? 

Deep mixing now with Newark gusting near 60 mph with the sun coming out and steepening the low level lapse rates.

Newark/Liberty CLOUDY    39  23  52 W43G59 
  • Like 2

40 after a low of 34.  Windy and still mostly cloudy.   Dry out and warm up mon - Thu ahead of the next rain.  60s perhaps a 70 degree reading wed/thu.  Looks like a turn to colder than normal 3/19 for a week of so before moderating / warming to close the month.

GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif

18 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Very early obviously, but it’s looking like yet another La Niña (possibly strong), -PDO, ++AMO and blazing WPAC SSTs on the way again for next fall/winter. Groundhog Day continues 

I'm sure there will be some that will insist a great winter is on the way....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Records:

Highs:

EWR:  75 (2021)
NYC:  73 (1977)
LGA: 70 (1977)

Lows:

EWR: 14 (1960)
NYC: 14 (1960)
LGA: 15 (1960)

Historical:

1888: The Great Blizzard of 1888 paralyzed the east coast from the Chesapeake Bay to Maine on March 11 through the 14th. The blizzard dumped as much as 55 inches of snow in some areas, and snowdrifts of 30 to 40 feet were reported. An estimated 400 people died from this blizzard. 

1911 - Tamarack, CA, reported 451 inches of snow on the ground, a record for the U.S. (David Ludlum)

1917: At 3:02 pm on Sunday, March 11, 1917, many New Castle lives were changed forever. In just a few terrifying minutes, 22 people were killed, hundreds were injured, 500 homes were damaged or destroyed, and many of the city's triumphant greenhouses were leveled in what would be part of $1 million suffered in property damage.

1948 - Record cold followed in the wake of a Kansas blizzard. Lows of -25 degrees at Oberlin, Healy and Quinter established a state record for the month of March. Lows of -15 at Dodge City, -11 at Concordia, and -3 at Wichita were also March records. (The Weather Channel)

1953: An F4 tornado cut an 18-mile path through Haskell and Knox counties in Texas. Seventeen people were killed, and an eight-block area of Knox City was leveled.

1962 - One of the most paralyzing snowstorms in decades produced record March snowfalls in Iowa. Four feet of snow covered the ground at Inwood following the storm. (David Ludlum)

1987 - Unseasonably cold weather prevailed in the southeastern U.S., and a storm over the Gulf of Mexico spread rain and sleet and snow into the Appalachian Region. Sleet was reported in southern Mississippi. (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - A blizzard raged across the north central U.S. Chadron NE was buried under 33 inches of snow, up to 25 inches of snow was reported in eastern Wyoming, and totals in the Black Hills of South Dakota ranged up to 69 inches at Lead. Winds gusted to 63 mph at Mullen NE. Snow drifts thirty feet high were reported around Lusk WY. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Twenty-one cities in the central and southwestern U.S. reported new record high temperatures for the date. The afternoon high of 95 degrees at Lubbock TX equalled their record for March. (The National Weather Summary)

1990 - Forty-four cities in the central and eastern U.S. reported record high temperatures for the date. Record highs included 71 degrees at Dickinson ND and Williston ND, and 84 degrees at Lynchburg VA, Charleston WV and Huntington WV. Augusta GA and Columbia SC tied for honors as the hot spot in the nation with record highs of 88 degrees. A vigorous cold front produced up to three feet of snow in the mountains of Utah. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

2006 - Phoenix's record run for dry days finally ends at 143 days. The last measured rain fell on October 18, 2005. Not only did the rain break the dry spell, the 1.40 inches that fell was a record amount for the date.

46 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I'm sure there will be some that will insist a great winter is on the way....

The PAC and Atlantic have been in a positive feedback loop for years now and keep going right back to their default states no matter what ENSO does. Probably AGW related, which is accelerating very quickly now

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

these temps in march are unimaginable now

Screenshot_20240311-085851.jpg

The minimums in particular are jarring. Even in the pines I haven’t been able to get below freezing since March 1st. March 8th I hit 33. Totally different regime in a totally different era, it’s just fascinating by comparison. 29 average for the month? That’s DFa climate criteria satisfied in March, lol. 

I would kill for temperature data like this during the Little Ice Age, especially the peak and heavily volcanic perturbed years. Some of those winters had to be damn near polar by comparison to today, regardless of how much snow fell (I would assume significantly more by way of increased frequency of small to moderate snowfalls but that’s just a guess. Maybe it was cold and dry more regularly, mimicked on a smaller scale in the 70’s and 80’s). 

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

weird-completely calm here right now and all morning

We’ve been gusting 40-50 all morning here in Staten Island, it’s been a. But cloudy let’s see if we get some more mixing with sun starting to come out like @bluewavementioned