Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024

TriPol

3 hours ago, golfer07840 said:

Biggest issue with that is, the mornings. Sunrise wouldn't happen til after 8 AM for much of December. All for what? An extra hour of daylight when it's cold out anyway? 

I'm not for either way. I just think the practice is dumb. Likewise I hate when people say "we get an extra hour of daylight", no we just shift it. When I teach this students ask why we don't just keep the extra hour of daylight. We don't! Hell China doesn't even do timezones. 

4 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Where is everyone that is saying big bust on the temps today? It is 56 out and forecast I saw was for 57. This is starting to get like the people that say their 1 inch is 5 inches and the storm over performed. 

Mid 50s was my forecast and it's 61 currently

4 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Where is everyone that is saying big bust on the temps today? It is 56 out and forecast I saw was for 57. This is starting to get like the people that say their 1 inch is 5 inches and the storm over performed. 

upton had 51 here with cloudy skies instead it's party sunny and 56 I'd say that's a double bust:whistle:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

I'm not for either way. I just think the practice is dumb. Likewise I hate when people say "we get an extra hour of daylight", no we just shift it. When I teach this students ask why we don't just keep the extra hour of daylight. We don't! Hell China doesn't even do timezones. 

Ha-we get an extra hour when we're more likely to use it.   a 4:23am sunrise is not worthwhile to many.   I'm with you-go with one or the other

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

upton had 51 here with cloudy skies instead it's party sunny and 56 I'd say that's a double bust:whistle:

Interesting I always saw 57 on Apple weather and TWC app for today under mostly cloudy skies. Here in The Bronx it is exactly that. But small localized differences are always the case this time of year, especially with water temps through the area. 

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Ha-we get an extra hour when we're more likely to use it.   a 4:23am sunrise is not worthwhile to many.   I'm with you-go with one or the other

I've always thought we should be on Atlantic time and call it a day. No changing our clocks twice a year. Poor eastern Maine being so far east makes it even worse to be on eastern time. The Eastern time zone is so large because everyone wanted to be on NYC hours for the financial markets etc. But even looking at articles like this, it shows you maybe we aren't right: https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/should-new-england-change-time-zones/

Just now, Roger Smith said:

They don't change clocks in SK (Saskatchewan), on CST all year round. And there's one town in BC (Creston) on  MST all year. I believe Arizona is also on MST all year. 

Hawaii also stays on Standard Time like Arizona.

6 hours ago, bluewave said:

No cold air in sight as the ensembles remain much warmer than average next few weeks. 

82998262-3881-46E5-B942-6833CF80AE03.thumb.png.05e7ee7b4c00e33146061511f5699e54.png

229F3909-5349-4D31-9D71-CF1F8B8FFAD3.thumb.png.5576c88b0f77180e31e70f2914f21b25.png289ED47B-DBEE-4BA3-BC7D-964B8D3FE8A6.thumb.png.40cbe1f5496bfcfb9afa0950bd48fa22.png

Hopefully more sunny days like yesterday, I saw starting next Monday we'll have a long stretch of dry sunny weather.

"warm" weather without sunshine is useless and shouldn't count as warm weather.

1 hour ago, JustinRP37 said:

China is right, there shouldn't be any time zones.

2 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

Another pleasant day out under full sunshine at the moment

the onshore winds are dropping the temps here in eastern NJ - currently 55 degrees

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Beautiful warm March day! I was driving with the windows down blasting Van Halen’s Panama :D Spring has sprung! I feel like dancing

Yep even the fantasy snowmaps at day 17 show nothing anymore

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Beautiful warm March day! I was driving with the windows down blasting Van Halen’s Panama :D Spring has sprung! I feel like dancing

when it's sunny yes, there is no real warmth when it's raining-- that's the one kind of weather I can't tolerate unless it only happens like one day a week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Hopefully more sunny days like yesterday, I saw starting next Monday we'll have a long stretch of dry sunny weather.

Yeah, any days with offshore flow and enough sun will make a run on 70° like we got yesterday and Buffalo is getting today. But the key is enough sun and offshore flow. These slight nuisances which allow 70° warmth are best dealt with by the shorter term models within a few days. This current pattern is a very wet and warm with numerous opportunities for onshore flow. So the minimum warm departures may end up may end up being higher than the max departures next few weeks. As for calls for cooler later in the month, we have to remember how the models have had a cooler weather near the end of their range all winter only to correct warmer in time. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, any days with offshore flow and enough sun will make a run on 70° like we got yesterday and Buffalo is getting today. But the key is enough sun and offshore flow. These slight nuisances which allow 70° warmth are best dealt with by the shorter term models within a few days. This current pattern is a very wet and warm with numerous opportunities for onshore flow. So the minimum warm departures may end up may end up being higher than the max departures next few weeks. As for calls for cooler later in the month, we have to remember how the models have had a cooler weather near the end of their range all winter only to correct warmer in time. 

I'm wondering if we can get NW flow at least a few days each week we'll be okay.  If this same thing happens during the summer, this is when we'll make a run at 100 degrees.

During the 50s, what caused all those 100 degree days and such long heatwaves? I think there was a year in there (was it 1953 or 1954), when NYC hit 100+ degrees 4 or maybe even 5 times? We had many more major TC coming up the east coast back then too as well as big severe outbreaks like the one which caused the F5 Worcester Tornado.)

Really the period between 1944 and 1960 was pretty amazing for long extreme heatwaves and big east coast tropical cyclones.

Considerable cloud cover and a light onshore breeze capped temperatures across the region today. Nevertheless, temperatures again ran much above normal for the day.

Meanwhile, parts of Ontario and western New York State saw record warmth today.

Records included:

Buffalo: 72° (old record: 63°, 1974)
Detroit: 74° (old record: 69°, 1983) ***Earliest 74° or above temperature on record***
Kingston, ON: 58° (old record: 46°, 1974)
London, ON: 67° (old record: 59°, 1966)
Ottawa: 53° (old record: 50°, 1965)
Toronto: 61° (old record: 56°, 1974)
Rochester: 72° (old record: 69°, 1974)
Watertown: 67° (old record: 56°, 1974)
Windsor: 72° (old record: 66°, 1983)

An extended period of warmer to much warmer than normal weather is now underway. March will likely see generally unseasonable warmth through the first 7-10 days of the month. The first week of March could see the temperature average near 10° above normal in New York City.

The generally mild conditions could persist through mid-month. However, rainfall totals will likely be above to much above normal.

The first in a series of storms will bring rain late tonight through tomorrow to the region. Another storm could bring rain Wednesday into Thursday. Yet another storm could bring rain to the region during the weeend.

No significant snowfall appears likely in the northern Middle Atlantic region through at least March 10th. The probability of an unprecedented second consecutive winter with less than 10" seasonal snowfall in New York City has increased.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +0.9°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.3°C for the week centered around February 28. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +0.93°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.58°C. A basinwide El Niño event is ongoing. The ongoing El Niño event will continue to fade during March. Neutral conditions could develop during the spring.

The SOI was -2.87 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -0.304 today.

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Cold without snow is a waste...

5 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I'm wondering if we can get NW flow at least a few days each week we'll be okay.  If this same thing happens during the summer, this is when we'll make a run at 100 degrees.

During the 50s, what caused all those 100 degree days and such long heatwaves? I think there was a year in there (was it 1953 or 1954), when NYC hit 100+ degrees 4 or maybe even 5 times? We had many more major TC coming up the east coast back then too as well as big severe outbreaks like the one which caused the F5 Worcester Tornado.)

Really the period between 1944 and 1960 was pretty amazing for long extreme heatwaves and big east coast tropical cyclones.

My parents grew up in Far Rockaway and Belle Harbor from the mid 40's until they went to O'side in 1970 with a short stint in Brooklyn in the late 60s. They talked about the whole neighborhood spending the night on the beach many times in the 50s. My mom went to the beach or her neighbors cabana and and my dad's house was a few up from the beach so they put mattresses out on the 2nd floor porches. Those same 2nd floor porches were where they'd watch the ocean come up the street during big storms a few times a year, was probably a few times in the decade but, ya know. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Considerable cloud cover and a light onshore breeze capped temperatures across the region today. Nevertheless, temperatures again ran much above normal for the day.

Meanwhile, parts of Ontario and western New York State saw record warmth today.

Records included:

Buffalo: 72° (old record: 63°, 1974)
Detroit: 74° (old record: 69°, 1983) ***Earliest 74° or above temperature on record***
Kingston, ON: 58° (old record: 46°, 1974)
London, ON: 67° (old record: 59°, 1966)
Ottawa: 53° (old record: 50°, 1965)
Toronto: 61° (old record: 56°, 1974)
Rochester: 72° (old record: 69°, 1974)
Watertown: 67° (old record: 56°, 1974)
Windsor: 72° (old record: 66°, 1983)

An extended period of warmer to much warmer than normal weather is now underway. March will likely see generally unseasonable warmth through the first 7-10 days of the month. The first week of March could see the temperature average near 10° above normal in New York City.

The generally mild conditions could persist through mid-month. However, rainfall totals will likely be above to much above normal.

The first in a series of storms will bring rain late tonight through tomorrow to the region. Another storm could bring rain Wednesday into Thursday. Yet another storm could bring rain to the region during the weeend.

No significant snowfall appears likely in the northern Middle Atlantic region through at least March 10th. The probability of an unprecedented second consecutive winter with less than 10" seasonal snowfall in New York City has increased.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +0.9°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.3°C for the week centered around February 28. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +0.93°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.58°C. A basinwide El Niño event is ongoing. The ongoing El Niño event will continue to fade during March. Neutral conditions could develop during the spring.

The SOI was -2.87 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -0.304 today.

Once again there was over 10 inches in NYC - Central Parks snow measurements are flawed........plus NYC also includes Bronx - Brooklyn - Queens and Staten Island officially...