Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 8th Eclipse- Last Easy One To See In My Lifetime

Interstate

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I think the only way to go is to leave the night before if you are driving to OH/PA. Even that might be tricky, but hoping it’s plausible. Morning of probably will be more frustrating than it’s worth even if you get there, lol

We were planning on leaving the morning before (April 7) but even that seems sketchy at this point.

We were planning on leaving the morning before (April 7) but even that seems sketchy at this point.

Ah, then you are ahead of me. Wouldn’t worry too much, though it probably won’t be a fun drive!

Might be ignorance, but I really like to think I’d be okay driving the day of in the early morning hours. Guess maybe I’ll find out!
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Ah, then you are ahead of me. Wouldn’t worry too much, though it probably won’t be a fun drive!

Might be ignorance, but I really like to think I’d be okay driving the day of in the early morning hours. Guess maybe I’ll find out!

You might actually be better off. Problem is, everyone I know who's going to OH/PA is planning on driving up there right at the same time as me (the day before in the morning). That's not a good sign lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Here’s another theoretical question: if you had to choose between clear skies partial or complete cloudy totality, which do you pick?

I'd personally go with a completely cloudy totality. To see it go pitch black night in the middle of the afternoon is certainly quite the experience regardless of the weather... IMO at least.

• Thanks 1

On weather - any tips on what long range patterns to look for that might suggest cloudier/clearer (as light a suggestion as that may be at range)? If it’s going to end up cloudy, I’d like to be able to comfort myself by setting expectations early lol.

21 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Well, with the DMV being in the 80% totality zone for the April 8 event, and based on this map....I went ahead and ordered the damn eclipse glasses and "cell phone camera filter" today, before the markups kicked in within next 1-2 weeks.

A thunderstorm blew up literally a couple minutes prior to the start of the 2017 eclipse, blowing to bits all of my preparations that year. I'm hoping our luck is a bit better this year...especially because I'll likely be drooling into my food and wearing Depends when the 2044 eclipse rolls around.  :( 

• Haha 1

You wanna see a total solar eclipse.

You cant go wrong in Texas.

No clouds.

Great eclipse viewing.

Great beer.

Excellent bbq and brisket.

Hell, you might even decide to STAY here, the bbq and brisket are so good!

On 3/14/2024 at 5:18 PM, PrinceFrederickWx said:

You might actually be better off. Problem is, everyone I know who's going to OH/PA is planning on driving up there right at the same time as me (the day before in the morning). That's not a good sign lol

Have backup routes planned ahead of time is what I've found out to be best. From DC, you could do 70 to the PA turnpike but everyone is going to be doing that route so it's going to be stupidly packed. Next option is I-68 to I-79 in Morgantown and go North. If that doesn't work US-40 to PA-43 to PA-51 to backdoor your way into Pittsburgh to points North. My guess is that PA-43 isn't going to be extremely packed since it is a toll road but not an interstate. We'll find out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/15/2024 at 2:15 PM, Interstate said:

I got my glasses today.  They are from China, so I hope my eyes dont burn out.  If they do, I am going to write one hell of a nasty review on Amazon.

He's going to do a podcast.

Pretty good agreement now on the GEFS of a trough entering the west coast on March 31st and another following that on April 3rd/4th.  The prior trough takes about 3 days to traverse the country, so the one on the 3rd/4th would theoretically be through the eastern US prior to the eclipse.  That is absent any new blocking developing.  

However, the OP GFS is slower with the troughs and has the latter one entering the West Coast on the 4th and causing trouble for the Eastern US on Eclipse Day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic