• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2024 Short/Medium Range Severe Weather Discussion

Just now, DocATL said:

It was posted in the wrong thread as I stated earlier. I’m sorry. My goodness. I’ll delete it and we can all move on.

My point still matters, we don't need op model 348hr images posted ever.

I hope this isn't a silly question to ask, but what does it mean if there's a lot of red or whatever but not green? Like a one-sided velocity signature, I guess you could say? Does that mean rotation is breaking down or something?

Screenshot_20240304-161441.jpg

52 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

I hope this isn't a silly question to ask, but what does it mean if there's a lot of red or whatever but not green? Like a one-sided velocity signature, I guess you could say? Does that mean rotation is breaking down or something?

Screenshot_20240304-161441.jpg

Which radar site is that? KMKX?

39 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Whoops, looks like that was LOT. Completely failed to notice that somehow

Reds are outbounds, so in that case, winds blowing to the north. Could represent a surge of inflow. Generally when one color dominates like that it's either that or RFD depending on where the radar is.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Over 20 severe hail reports so far in IA/IL/MO/WI.  Looks like a slight risk definitely would've been warranted. 

No severe watch either. :facepalm:

EDIT:  Now over 30 reports of severe hail.

Mostly they are pretty darn good with the outlooks.  If anything they tend towards over forecasting (which is not a bad thing with severe weather).   Just shows while we have gain a lot of knowledge there is a ways to go with the weather!!

• Like 1

18z NAM is absolutely nasty in the Midwest (IA/IL) on Thursday. Other models generally are not as favorable although they appear to be shifting towards a solution where a coherent shortwave ejects ENE/NE after Wednesday, which would increase the threat.

Very, very cold air aloft with temperatures approaching -20 at 500 mb and -45 to -50 and 300 mb means that you won't need a lot of moisture to get strong updrafts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andyhb said:
18z NAM is absolutely nasty in the Midwest (IA/IL) on Thursday. Other models generally are not as favorable although they appear to be shifting towards a solution where a coherent shortwave ejects ENE/NE after Wednesday, which would increase the threat.
Very, very cold air aloft with temperatures approaching -20 at 500 mb and -45 to -50 and 300 mb means that you won't need a lot of moisture to get strong updrafts.

Besides, on that plot posted above, moisture isn't even really a concern here.

500mb actually looked a little better on the 12Z, with what appears to be a negatively tilted shortwave swinging across the region at 00Z.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Of course, right as they do that, the 06Z NAM (by far the strongest model supporting this solution) comes in with a less focused, strung out surface low. :rolleyes:

Never been a big fan of these kind of setups where the east/west front starts to crash southward during the warmest part of the day, as some models show.  Seems like with the good setups the warm front will at least slowly advance northward during the daytime at least.  

1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

Never been a big fan of these kind of setups where the east/west front starts to crash southward during the warmest part of the day, as some models show.  Seems like with the good setups the warm front will at least slowly advance northward during the daytime at least.  

Yup. Definitely would rather see the low intensifying with the mass response pulling the warm front northward or at least stationary.

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah, seems for the good ones at this time of year we are tracking the front northwards waiting for it to get hung up along I-80, lol

7 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Yeah, seems for the good ones at this time of year we are tracking the front northwards waiting for it to get hung up along I-80, lol

Although, this year we've already had multiple :twister:events along/north of the IL-WI line starting in frickin' early February. It would be ironic if we started having issues with that now as we finally get into mid-March, on Daylight Time and close to the equinox.

Thursday will depend highly on the degree of cyclonic curvature within the mid/upper level flow. Most guidance is not in agreement with the 12z NAM/NAM 3 km idea of having a substantial shortwave eject ENE and induce stronger surface cyclogenesis and LLJ response. The 18z NAM also backed off on that idea.

Moisture looks like a non issue and I don't see much concern for a washout especially further south, but the wind fields will be strongly affected by how amplified that feature is.

• Like 2