Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

Let the kids enjoy the snow. I have no problem with a snow day 

Agreed, it has been two years since Syosset has had one. Our district closed all elementary schools two weeks ago for tomorrow due to voting at those schools.  So my kids are home already. Looks like middle and high school kids will get to enjoy the day off as well now.

• Like 1

Just now, the_other_guy said:

I can count like 3 or 4 in my adult life. The most famous being the Xmas Day Storm with 20 people in my parents house 

Feb 2010, Feb 2013, Jan 2011 ( ok, snowed first about 5-6 , then stopped, then rained then changed back for a total of 19 inches but since we had some 32 on Boxing Day tends to be forgotten ). I can't remember any others. But it seems to be in Feb when its happened.

4 minutes ago, Kjtc1979 said:

I heard they had to walk to and from work and school during a blizzard.  Uphill. Both ways.

Seriously, with technology now allowing WFH and the fact that most of us are expected to be accessible outside work hours via mobile phone and email, it's silly not to play it safe and pivot to remote work for the day.

Educators know that half the kids are out on days that snow anyway and they'll get better work out of the kids if they're remote or, even better, if they make the day up later in the year.  Plus nobody gets hurt on school grounds and everybody avoids a dangerous commute, and the roads are lighter for emergency vehicles and snow removal.  

And half the staff is out too. So its movie day in the caf.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

So....who wants to bet Freehold ends up with the jackpot?

I don’t think so, I think you guys are set. Monmouth / northern Ocean going to be too marginal temp wise, at least from the soundings I was looking at. 

If I see a couple flakes on the grass I’ll consider it a win. Hoping you guys get the goods though, positive changes for sure. 

If only the airmass was a bit less crap this woulda been fun for me too, but oh well. It’s been extremely warm, not unexpected. All the more if most of you see a significant storm out of this it’s a massive win with how things have been going. 

6 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I guess they want to use remote learning instead of going to waste.

It's all about funding. Missed days must be made up or you lose funding. There were few snow days in the 80s so it didn't matter much, after 94 it became a problem, and after Sandy and Snowtober districts started doing away with some holidays; President's Day was a 4 day weekend for most of my career, and many schools had Feb breaks. With the violent weather the past few decades, and power outages that force closures even outside winter months, they had to limit some holidays. After Covid it became apparent you could say school was technically open even if a LOT of the kids logged on and left or didn't bother at all, but you wouldn't lose funding. Been retired for a few years now so I don't know how many hours they have to be online, I believe it's a half day schedule.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I don’t think so, I think you guys are set. Monmouth / northern Ocean going to be too marginal temp wise, at least from the soundings I was looking at. 

If I see a couple flakes on the grass I’ll consider it a win. Hoping you guys get the goods though, positive changes for sure. 

If only the airmass was a bit less crap this woulda been fun for me too, but oh well. It’s been extremely warm, not unexpected. All the more if most of you see a significant storm out of this it’s a massive win with how things have been going. 

oh I'm in Woodbridge, we are always marginal; too far north when Monmouth is the jackpot, too far south for north and west action. Too far west for eastern storms; I've seen eastern snows stop at the Hudson. Once in awhile we get a jackpot....Boxing Day and Jan 2011, Jan 2016. But even very big storms can shaft us here. People don't always believe me but in March 2018 all but one storm was an effective miss here. People would be arguing with me but I could look outside and nothing much was happening due to subsidence or dry air, and if it ain't that it' s mixing.

• Like 1

This isn’t a late season storm. We have a long history of getting big snows in mid February. We have about another month. After March 10th it’s pretty much over for I95 unless we end up with a very anomalous pattern.

Given recent model trends and a significant shift southwards, closed 700mb low South of LI favors a band of heavy snow tomorrow for a few hours near I-80/287. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a few 12”+ reports especially in the higher elevation areas of NW NJ into Orange County, NY. 

I like 4-8” for the Bronx and Southern Westchester. 6-12” North of HPN. 3-6” for Central Park and 2-4” for South facing Brooklyn and Queens. There will be a Southerly flow to start which will cause mixing issues and the 700mb low close proximity could cause dry slotting in Central NJ and South shore of LI. 

Could be one of those storms where SI sees 3-5” and Sandy Hook gets nothing.

• Like 5

Think TWC forecast is the best I've seen and they've really gotten much better the past several years (remember, they were the only ones who nailed Jan-2015) with some very good mets and model discussions these days. I think the NWS adustments at 4 am were in the right direction, but not enough, especially towards 276/195 and the coast, where I think TWC is likely to be better. We'll see of course.

akX9cDY.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Think TWC forecast is the best I've seen and they've really gotten much better the past several years (remember, they were the only ones who nailed Jan-2015) with some very good mets and model discussions these days. I think the NWS adustments at 4 am were in the right direction, but not enough, especially towards 276/195 and the coast, where I think TWC is likely to be better. We'll see of course.

akX9cDY.png

The southern edge of that is probably too optimistic. Don’t think I’m seeing 1-3 here (TR / Manchester border). 

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic