Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

5 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Verbatim it's starting to look really promising especially for northern NYC/northern LI but we've seen this song and dance so many times and I am fearful of the typical north bump at the last minute.

I understand if it was just one model but every model and ensembles?

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I understand if it was just one model but every model and ensembles?

Yes there could still be a tick in either direction another 30-50 miles since we are still over 24 hours out. Unfortunately it's usually a late tick north with these. I'd want to be 30+ miles north of where the models have the gradient now to feel too comfortable.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Still sticking with my 1-3” call. Expecting that bump north 

Smart money says this probably sucks for us and around the city but every once in a while we get thrown a bone. Keep hope alive I guess. Having some snow cover like we should in February will be a win. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Good things are going to happen when you have a sub 980 low southeast of LI.

Not with a crap airmass. You need it to pound to scour out the urban heat island. This is going to come down to rates or you’re going to waste allot of snow. Outside the city and the immediate coast, not as big a concern.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Good things are going to happen when you have a sub 980 low southeast of LI.

Again-have to look at how the storm comes in, which is a primary cutting decently far north, the bad preceding airmass and the mid level low tracks. Those really determine our outcome more than the surface low. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Not with a crap airmass. You need it to pound to scour out the urban heat island. This is going to come down to rates or you’re going to waste allot of snow. Outside the city and the immediate coast, not as big a concern.

The airmass is one concern but could be overcome with the right track and dynamics, to me the bigger concern is if we get a late north tick in the track of the primary.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

True. it does seem to be the time of year where you see some snow. Think the one in 2014 was my favorite; a paste job around 8-10 IIRC. 

Best recent snow/superbowl combo was the nice moderate and relatively cold event during Tampa Bay's win a few years back.

By the way - not since the '23 Jets has a defense given Mahomes so much trouble.

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

0z will be pretty big-if the south trends keep up I would think amounts should go up decently around the city/I-80 corridor. But again dump any 10-1 map and be thrilled if this covers all the grass. 

sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_ne (1).png

1 minute ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Best recent snow/superbowl combo was the nice moderate and relatively cold event during Tampa Bay's win a few years back.

By the way - not since the '23 Jets has a defense given Mahomes so much trouble.

I actually don't know much about the NFL. I'm a soccer guy. The family is watching and they call me in for the commercials. I will catch the halftime show because my son is a fan of whoever it is playing this year.

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic