Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

8 minutes ago, snobal said:

^   that  looks  really good.  wow 

I'll give it another 24 hours before diving in. Won't take much of a late bump north to turn it lame near/south of I-80. Need the confluence to hold on. We already did see one system this winter tick south at the end due to strong confluence and hit S NJ/DC area so it's possible but more often we see the late amped/north trend and this might be a much stronger system. I-84 to I-90 corridor is in the best spot for this IMO.

1 minute ago, David-LI said:

I have a feeling this is the type of storm they forecast 2-4 but it ends up being 8-10

From your lips to God's ears. 

If this does track far enough south I'm in a pretty good spot to make lemonade out of crap marginal conditions initially.

I have to say, one thing that does perplex me are the official forecasts (NWS, TWC, and the cable weather news networks) calling for almost nothing here in NYC. Over the last 24-36 hours, almost every model run has shown 5+ for NYC. I wonder what their rationale is. Maybe the north trend will continue, or lack of cold air leading up to the storm? Seems to be a big disconnect between the model data and the humans that are making the forecast. 

1 minute ago, Krs4Lfe said:

I have to say, one thing that does perplex me are the official forecasts (NWS, TWC, and the cable weather news networks) calling for almost nothing here in NYC. Over the last 24-36 hours, almost every model run has shown 5+ for NYC. I wonder what their rationale is. Maybe the north trend will continue, or lack of cold air leading up to the storm? Seems to be a big disconnect between the model data and the humans that are making the forecast. 

Marginal temps, snow maps aren't going to account for that.

Just now, Krs4Lfe said:

We have initial lousy temps that the storm will have to overcome even if it does track favorably and bomb out which is another big question. The low/lame predictions for NYC at this point are totally justified. There's the rabbit out of the hat chance it comes together but we all know what the odds favor and who they favor. 

Just now, Nibor said:

Marginal temps, snow maps aren't going to account for that.

Even still, taking the latest GFS verbatim, that’s some pretty heavy snowfall at around 33 degrees or so. Accuweather calling for about an inch or so. Now if the storm trends more north, then all bets are off. But verbatim, that looks like some pretty heavy snow. 

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic