Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

Just now, MJO812 said:

Washout ? Nothing points to that right now.

all you need is a slight shift north and it is 95 percent rain for the coast. Also its not gonna stick with temps above freezing during daytime Tuesday. Chances are very slim at the coast. Get out, enjoy life. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

The EURO is too amped for NYC

Quite a bit warmer than what the 0z run showed. Obviously we have a slight chance that this could work out for areas near the coast since it's still early, but right now this is looking like an event for areas to the north and west. The airmass is lousy and we're really gonna need a dynamic solution for it to give us decent accumulations here. 

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Why do I waste my time losing sleep over models when they keep doing the same crap over and over again ?

How long have you been at this?  20 yrs?    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Why do I waste my time losing sleep over models when they keep doing the same crap over and over again ?

Told ya man. Don't do it lol. It was cool to follow but I never thought this was our storm. Now it doesn't even look like no pattern change. Bring on spring 

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Live by the models, die by the models.  One might ask themselves, is this model correct?  WHERE is the even remotely marginally cold air coming from?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dark Star said:

Live by the models, die by the models.  One might ask themselves, is this model correct?  WHERE is the even remotely marginally cold air coming from?

all about the buzzwords---"the storm will create its own cold air"   "Dynamics"   It's 30 degrees at Hunter Mtn, that will be pulled south....yada yada yada

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Northof78 said:

EURO better, stronger storm, colder solution

Some of the posters in here are living and dying with clown maps. If anything the 12Z is an improvement over 00z. Euro didn’t make any north shift, it’s more amped and the precip field is more expansive. What’s the problem?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Yanksfan said:

Some of the posters in here are living and dying with clown maps. If anything the 12Z is an improvement over 00z. Euro didn’t make any north shift, it’s more amped and the precip field is more expansive. What’s the problem?

For many in the NYC metro, its a heavily mixing scenario. Looking deeper into the storm configuration, the confluence appears to pressing less over the past few runs, which is what leads to less snow and more mixing for the area. Without significant high pressure press from southeast Canada (where we would see our confluence pushing down), then this is only the beginning of the north trend, not the end of it. And if it's only the beginning... then we know what happens next. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Franklin0529 said:

I meant chasing fantasy snow storms and getting your heart ripped out. 

I guess it depends.  For some people seeing a simulation of snow on a map is almost as good as the real thing, so when it doesn't happen it doesn't matter because in their minds they've already received the high they get from tracking it.  So in a way it's already happened for them.

And who knows, maybe in an alternate earth in another universe it actually did happen....

• Thanks 1

You also want to look at the mid level low tracks not just the surface, if anything you especially want to look at the mid level lows. If the 700/850 lows are over or north of you, you’ll very likely mix or dry slot quickly. For good snow you want to be north of those. For the surface as we all know the airmass heading into this is lousy at best, so we need heavy thumping snow to start the accumulations. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

You also want to look at the mid level low tracks not just the surface, if anything you especially want to look at the mid level lows. If the 700/850 lows are over or north of you, you’ll very likely mix or dry slot quickly. For good snow you want to be north of those. For the surface as we all know the airmass heading into this is lousy at best, so we need heavy thumping snow to start the accumulations. 

You know this is why I prefer vertically stacked lows that move very slowly or even loop, because the 700/850 lows are right where the surface low is.  Less chance of mixing or changing over.

• Like 1

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic