• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Following a Miller A/B hybrid type coastal potential, Feb 13th ... As yet untapped potential and a higher ceiling with this one

Typhoon Tip

58 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

There’s gonna be more chances coming up…pattern looks pretty nice/conducive for more potential winter action. Let’s hope we can cash in. Maybe this changed our ju-ju?   Winter in SNE isn’t over on Feb 13th 99.99% of the time. 

No but it’s over on Morch 1……16 days from now…..sun angle….length of day….temps….the whole thing you know

32 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

No but it’s over on Morch 1……16 days from now…..sun angle….length of day….temps….the whole thing you know

Ya..I don’t necessarily agree there. But to each their own. Some monster snowstorms in March in SNE over the years and decades.  March can deliver the goods. And it can also deliver gorgeous days too..flip a coin and it can change on you like a fickle beotch.  Gotta be careful with her. Especially when you’re in mid Feb still. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Seems like even Groton had more . I would get the hell out of that place ASAP

https://x.com/nwsboston/status/1757553654134169657?s=46&t=dhcbvkjmRcyBVQtDxJ3lRg

Seems like they didn't want to include much of those 12-18 totals, i barely see any of that color shade, there was a lot of reports through central CT near 84 that had 12-16 as the map i made shows

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

What does any of that matter if you're just talking numbers and snowfall. For a lot of climo sites "morch" averages about the same snowfall as december. Plenty of big storms in morch even over the past 10 years. 

4 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Seems like they didn't want to include much of those 12-18 totals, i barely see any of that color shade, there was a lot of reports through central CT near 84 that had 12-16 as the map i made shows

They didn’t even upgrade back to WSWarning as we ponded and pounded. 12.5” under a WWA….Pretty weak imo. 

• Like 1

Just now, The 4 Seasons said:

What does any of that matter if you're just talking numbers and snowfall. For a lot of climo sites "morch" averages about the same snowfall as december. Plenty of big storms in morch even over the past 10 years. 

Because I like the winter to come with more than just big snows……I like it to stick around…..I like cold…..one time can we just get a wire to wire winter where the winter months aren’t complete duds…..when I snows in Morch you know it’s gonna be gone in like days…..and every day means the temps go up and the day gets longer and so on……it’s annoying AF

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Some folks think because it’s 3/1…that it magically changes to 60-65 degrees with bright sunshine, and light winds. Silly preconceived notions…especially in New England. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Ya..I don’t necessarily agree there. But to each their own. Some monster snowstorms in March in SNE over the years and decades.  March can deliver the goods. And it can also deliver gorgeous days too..flip a coin and it can change on you like a fickle beotch.  Gotta be careful with her. Especially when you’re in mid Feb still. 

It’s only because I like the feel of winter…..it matters to me…..I want big snow storms with no taint…..frequent storms….cold locked in and I want it to start in December and not have any of the winter months be duds…..seems all we get now are dud months and maybe a week or two of deep winter…..it’s annoying

• Like 1

[mention=12274]The 4 Seasons[/mention]
This was taken at around 2:00, after the brunt of the snow was finished.  5+ inches reduced to a few inches of wet, nasty slop.  Utterly useless, and terrible.  Winter sucks.  My spot is like living in the mid-Atlantic.  Besides some random Connecticut island in the Long Island sound this area is the worst snow spot in the state, and probably all of new England. 

20240213_140526.thumb.jpg.c384f979adbd4dff684c19c14e76fd1d.jpg

Where are you located in CT? I was out and about around Fairfield county earlier this morning during the height of the storm - (Fairfield-Easton-monroe-newtown) and also just drove up rt 8 to Thomaston and back to Bridgeport. Btw, Naugatuck valley to Waterbury to Thomaston got ROCKED! Easily foot plus and way less compaction vs the shoreline.

This morning I got out in Easton and Monroe during the heavy rates and was getting a lot of measurements around 10 - 14”. Even Greenfield Hill, Fairfield had around a foot this am, but then as the sun got higher and the rates subsided, it all compacted down to what looked like 6-8”. I think some people waited too long to measure or measured during slower rates which, in this storm, could be the difference between measuring 12” vs 8”.

Finally looks like winter around here in SNE again. Hopefully this is the storm that ended the snow drought. I hope..

Just now, ice1972 said:

Because I like the winter to come with more than just big snows……I like it to stick around…..I like cold…..one time can we just get a wire to wire winter where the winter months aren’t complete duds…..when I snows in Morch you know it’s gonna be gone in like days…..and every day means the temps go up and the day gets longer and so on……it’s annoying AF

Gotta move out of New England Ice. Maybe Quebec?  Or the northern Rockies?  Or Extreme N. Maine?  Your wish of a wire to wire winter is pretty unrealistic. 95-96 was close…but we had a huge thaw in January that incredible winter too. 

6 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

They didn’t even upgrade back to WSWarning as we ponded and pounded. 12.5” under a WWA….Pretty weak imo. 

We are all slaves to the models.  Guess it goes down as a positive bust?  No sense upgrading when it’s mostly done… just eat the verification scores and move onward.

When it’s coming down at 2-3”/hr in a mesoband, no sense in trying to verify it through updates as a forecaster.  At some point, you just let the forecast ride.

If the system happened like models showed 24-36 hours ago, that deform band snow ends up over HubbDave or SNH. 

2 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

well you're gonna have to move north if you want that because around here that happens like once in a decade. Even 10-11 didn't start until the end of December and 14-15 was almost a shut out until the end of Jan (two season with great snow depth that lasted for weeks/months in CT

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Some folks think because it’s 3/1…that it magically changes to 60-65 degrees with bright sunshine, and light winds. Silly preconceived notions…especially in New England. 

It’s not that it changes to that but the chances it warms up are higher and more frequent……you’re taking a chance relying on Morch to satisfy your winter habit…..I’d rather not take chances - I’d prefer that Morch be the gravy but gravy is no good when you’ve got nothing to put it on……that’s all

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Gotta move out of New England Ice. Maybe Quebec?  Or the northern Rockies?  Or Extreme N. Maine?  Your wish of a wire to wire winter is pretty unrealistic. 95-96 was close…but we had a huge thaw in January that incredible winter too. 

Truckee will be where I retire and then I will be in heaven…..

3 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

well you're gonna have to move north if you want that because around here that happens like once in a decade. Even 10-11 didn't start until the end of December and 14-15 was almost a shut out until the end of Jan (two season with great snow depth that lasted for weeks/months in CT

Truckee

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ice1972 said:

It’s not that it changes to that but the chances it warms up are higher and more frequent……you’re taking a chance relying on Morch to satisfy your winter habit…..I’d rather not take chances - I’d prefer that Morch be the gravy but gravy is no good when you’ve got nothing to put it on……that’s all

You aren’t taking a chance on relying on “Morch” over say December.  It statistically has more high-end events and average snowfall than December.  Thats the statistical play.  The emotional play is that if December sucks, you know you have months leading up to and through “Morch” to lean on.

Seasonally, one likes the dark winter months for snow (regardless of climo temps), but March can bring the big totals.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You aren’t taking a chance on relying on “Morch” over say December.  It statistically has more high-end events and average snowfall than December.  Thats the statistical play.  The emotional play is that if December sucks, you know you have months leading up to and through “Morch” to lean on.

Seasonally, one likes the dark winter months for snow (regardless of climo temps), but March can bring the big totals.

No duds…..that’s all I’m asking…..I don’t mind the thaws or two week stretches of sun as long as it still feels like winter……the rain in December and January lol…..that’s not winter

16 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

15 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

And that’s the reason. I actually thought this to myself today. When places that they don’t have warned get warning snows.. they try to hide and mask it. It’s all about verification for their individual offices. Big brother (govt) is watching. Ask @OceanStWx. Let’s see if he’ll comment 

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

And that’s the reason. I actually thought this to myself today. When places that they don’t have warned get warning snows.. they try to hide and mask it. It’s all about verification for their individual offices. Big brother (govt) is watching. Ask @OceanStWx. Let’s see if he’ll comment 

Seems like some tinfoil hat conspiracy stuff to me. They still have a wide swath of 6-8/8-12 which is warning snowfall, so i don't see how hiding 12-18 range would help any. 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yup, that thought definitely crossed my mind too. I84 corridor got rocked today through CT, and they seemed like they kind of dropped the ball when not upgrading by 6:00am, as everything was setting up to crush all morning for the next 6 hours. Then they kind of try to mute the big totals from their map of that said area, so as not to attract attention to the big amounts that were under a WWA.