• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024 General Discussion

Spartman

Came up to a cabin in the Grayling area for a long weekend. As has been discussed to death, depressing to see brown ground state wide on the drive up. Hardly any snow but fortunately still a good frozen 3-5" here in the woods. In town its patchy. Looks like a trace at home overnight. 

Random fact- between having many good stretches at home and my annual "up north" winter trip, I have not had a winter where I have not seen snow depth in double digits since probably 2003-04 (started the annual north trips in 2007). This year, the deepest snow I have seen was 7" at home in January. Unless mother mature has a March trick up her sleeve lol.

FB_IMG_1708789305554.jpg

• Like 10

Just saw in today's St. Louis Post Dispatch that Fox 2 in STL is predicting 80 degrees for high in the St. Louis area on Tuesday.

I am going to go on a limb and predict that at least one point in the immediate St. Louis area will not only surpass 80 on Tuesday, but have at least a 90 degree heat index for a time as well.  On Feb. 27.

• Weenie 1

Just saw in today's St. Louis Post Dispatch that Fox 2 in STL is predicting 80 degrees for high in the St. Louis area on Tuesday.
I am going to go on a limb and predict that at least one point in the immediate St. Louis area will not only surpass 80 on Tuesday, but have at least a 90 degree heat index for a time as well.  On Feb. 27.

There’s essentially no chance at a heat index that high, with relatively low dew points expected. (DP’s will be high by Feb standards, but low for getting a 90°+ HI.)
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, rainsucks said:

I'm sure they can handle one coldish day before the next torch comes in shortly afterwards.

I dont think Ive ever been a part and felt a 45/50 degree temp drop in less than 12 hours. I know the denver area has seen this numerous times.

a little Madison record watch post.

Today's record high of 61 will almost certainly be broken.

Tomorrow's record high of 58 will definitely be broken.  the record warm low of 38 tomorrow is also at risk.  tomorrows temp will also make a run at the Feb overall record of 68 set back in 2017. (68 is also the winter record temp, set both in Feb 2017 and Dec 2021.)

We should easily slot into the 2nd warmest winter on record - behind 1877/78.

February will slot somewhere in the top 3 warmest,  really depends on how the daily numbers go the next couple days to see where exactly it will fit.

• Like 2

At International Falls, limiting the analysis only to years with data for all months (of course), 2023-2024 is 1F warmer than 1920-1921 & 3.3F warmer than 1997-1998. Most of the early years in this list are missing multiple cold season months - i.e., the 33.0F in 1926-1927 is the mean of the fall only and is 0.6F colder than the mean of fall and winter this year.

image.thumb.png.bf5be753f3b7e45b83b90b91cd0162ed.png

3 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

At International Falls, limiting the analysis only to years with data for all months (of course), 2023-2024 is 1F warmer than 1920-1921 & 3.3F warmer than 1997-1998. Most of the early years in this list are missing multiple cold season months - i.e., the 33.0F in 1926-1927 is the mean of the fall only and is 0.6F colder than the mean of fall and winter this year.

image.thumb.png.bf5be753f3b7e45b83b90b91cd0162ed.png

Same table with years with missing months filtered out.

image.thumb.png.536890889c05c75d6fb9678deb86cb1f.png

4 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

You didnt get that last year during the christmas blizzard? Southern Ontario went from 40F and rain to -5F to 5F in 12 hours 

We've had some 30-40 drops but dont think any 50+. Kansas city with almost a 60 degree drop coming. Hasn't happened since 1911, per Mike Seidel. Still laughing at that hurricane footage of seidel acting like he's about to be blown away by the winds, while people walk casually in the background.