Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024

wdrag

3 hours ago, jm1220 said:

I drove from Long Beach where there was about 12”, east on Sunrise Highway then north on 231. Snow definitely increased around Wantagh then was highest around Deer Park/Babylon, then decreased again in Dix Hills to my house where there was about 14”. That band in SE Nassau and Suffolk was the difference maker. For hours Long Beach sucked on subsidence and light snow/blowing snow while that band crushed. Further east in Islip benefitted from being closer to the low. 

This area messes up on snowfall in so many ways.  If it's not a changeover scenario the storm is too far east of us lol.  We rarely do extremely well unless it's a block buster coastal storm coming up from the south that gets far enough north to get the changeover line within 50 miles of us but not far enough north to actually get it to our latitude.

4 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Best thing about 1/29/22 was the temperatures! I was at 22f at the time of peak snowfall; pure powder. I spent hours outside in it getting up early, and I took my sweet time shoveling. No rush to be had.

Plus super easy to shovel.

Here, I didn't shovel at all, as the foot of snow was blown off my property by the wind (off my driveway at any rate.)

4 hours ago, jm1220 said:

My house had about 14”. The dividing line between wild like you had and very good but not wild was around Dix Hills. There was definitely an accum decrease around there going north from Babylon on 231. Your area must have had over 20”. That sound enhanced area just crushed places from Wantagh to east of Islip for hours. 

So if Babylon on the south shore can get sound enhanced snow, how come we can't get sound enhanced snow back here?

3 hours ago, jm1220 said:

I drove from Long Beach where there was about 12”, east on Sunrise Highway then north on 231. Snow definitely increased around Wantagh then was highest around Deer Park/Babylon, then decreased again in Dix Hills to my house where there was about 14”. That band in SE Nassau and Suffolk was the difference maker. For hours Long Beach sucked on subsidence and light snow/blowing snow while that band crushed. Further east in Islip benefitted from being closer to the low. 

It's interesting that Long Beach and your house in Huntington basically had the same amount of snow.  So the snow bands were oriented southwest to northeast.

Euro is heavy rain to heavy snow for most.  Still 6+ days out, but the Euro/UK/GFS/CMC all show at least moderate snowfall for NYC Metro with less to the S/SW and of course if this continues to look good we'll eventually be worrying about how much rain/mix before the snow and ratios and melting and everything else, but the take home message is we actually have a decent shot at some snow.  

sn10_acc-imp.us_state_ne_s.png

qpf_acc-imp.us_state_ne_s.png

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

You really need a strong, dynamic system for the 13th as airmass is not very good but there is some potential.

Northern elevated areas would be favored again for the 13th storm depending on track

4 minutes ago, wdrag said:

GEFS 10 to 1 has 2" NYC but  Positive Snow Depth Change under 1". Think it best to wait til 630PM ish this evening, rather than chase something that is 1" or less this far out. Has some hope.

Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 6.05.05 AM.png

Gefs improved over past runs for NYC. 

Looking good but still ways out there .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

CMCE and EPS Positive Snow Depth change under 1" NYC,  but 10 to 1 EPS does have 2-3 as the GEFS.   

If the models were that good at 6-7 days nailing Ptype/Temp,  wow.  But they're not--just the idea that event is coming to the northeast USA. 

Think we can wait before stirring more certainty. 

• Like 2

Just now, wdrag said:

CMCE and EPS Positive Snow Depth change under 1" NYC,  but 10 to 1 EPS does have 2-3 as the GEFS.   

If the models were that good at 6-7 days nailing Ptype/Temp,  wow.  But they're not--just the idea that event is coming to the northeast USA. 

Think we can wait before stirring more certainty. 

Will revisit at 530PM and then, if good, all the ensemble guidance for this event will post plus  BOM which is under 1.5" or less NYC and LI -07Z version.