Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024

wdrag

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

The main thing I have been seeing from the Great Lakes and Upper Midwest is a shorter ice fishing season as places like International Falls have warmed about 6° during the winter since around 1950.  The warmer winters have resulted in increasing lake effect snows in spots with the warmer lakes and less ice. But even the warmest winters by International Falls standards like this year would be much colder than any winter around NYC. 

64DC6206-50F3-4529-B89F-A91AB45A9DF3.thumb.jpeg.f0b03b53f204eeac2fa07fa1dc124664.jpeg

How does International Falls compare to Caribou? I suspect with a storm track moving farther north, both would do well?

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Sometimes it takes a little time to score in a pattern like this. It’s looks to stick around for more than a week and with an active STJ we should have chances. 

That's what happened in December 2010.  The first storm missed and it took another week for the big hit.  Different winter different pattern, of course.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, snowman19 said:

I think it’s probably suppressive until the last week of the month like Tomer Burg said. He gave very solid reasoning. It most likely happens as the -NAO block erodes and fizzles out

Have you changed your mind on the pattern becoming warmer as soon as March starts? You shared a tweet (from Burg I think), where it seemed like you were open to the cold extending into the first part of March.

• Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Have you changed your mind on the pattern becoming warmer as soon as March starts? You shared a tweet (from Burg I think), where it seemed like you were open to the cold extending into the first part of March.

No. I don’t see a cold pattern lasting beyond early March 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 6

9 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

this has to be one of the few days this winter that is:

-Normal

-Sunny

-Beautiful

I can’t remember the last time it was just a normal sunny 30 something degree day

I managed to get a little sunburn (raccoon eyes from sunglasses) on my walk around the Manasquan Reservoir this afternoon. Windows are open to get some fresh air at the house, and I don't even need to use the heater to warm up the truck. Sun is doing it's job

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Yeah it could be in reference to ice fishing. Snow seasons still literally span Oct-May in the north annually, its just a matter of having thick ice and good snowmobiling conditions during much of winter that is essential for winter tourism in the far north. But even down here most winters have ice fishing on at least smaller lakes at times, so Im sure more of their ice issues are on the Great Lakes rather than smaller lakes. It doesnt matter how much you have warmed, 32F is still freezing. I have a feeling snowmobiling is a bigger part of their problem. We weenies look at thaws as "hopefully Ill still have snow in my yard when it freezes back up" but if a thaw sneaks that far north, even if there will still be plenty snow on the ground when its over, snowmobile trails can essentially be ruined.

I have a lake house in western Maine- I haven’t seen a car on the ice in about 5 years, 2 weekends ago a UTV went thru the ice (yes it was knuckle heads on a 6 person machine). My house is on groomed snowmobile trails and the conditions have been horrible even if there is snow- the boggy areas haven’t been freezing up!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, LAVistaNY said:

I have a lake house in western Maine- I haven’t seen a car on the ice in about 5 years, 2 weekends ago a UTV went thru the ice (yes it was knuckle heads on a 6 person machine). My house is on groomed snowmobile trails and the conditions have been horrible even if there is snow- the boggy areas haven’t been freezing up!

You're not close to Caribou are you? I've been hearing reports that snowfall has gone up there in the last few years?

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

First it was kick the can, then it was suppression & next will be the sun angle.

we've been kicking the can since Thanksgiving-first it was a great pattern starting xmas week, then it was Jan 1st, then into mid Jan, which a brief window of cold occurred followed by what will be a 3-4 week "thaw" basically a 10 day winter so far.....hopefully it comes but hard not to be somewhat skeptical given the last 2 years of garbage and fantasy long range model runs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

How does International Falls compare to Caribou? I suspect with a storm track moving farther north, both would do well?

If you want the heaviest possible snowfall with the chance to see 200”+pick the Tug Hill or Marquette areas.

D72D9A5A-0F8B-43E0-A58D-0F8D15441CA5.thumb.jpeg.9ae66ae51ef47e6efb357f593399d0b0.jpeg

• Like 1