• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

I have no issue with that particular edition of the weekly product, though..verification scroes not withstanding, that is reflective of my thoughts on March dating back to last fall. Winter is over after one more swing at the winter-blitz KU pinata, save a rogue bowling ball-

Then its onto the draft and post seasonal eval in May for me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The signal is there for the 24th. And we know it's a guess at this point. Snoozefest otherwise. 

I won't be suprised either way...on the one hand, this is the decade of what can do wrong, does. But on the other hand, I have a tough time buying that I finish under 40" in a basin-wide el Nino that is not prohibitively strong and featured a good deal of blocking.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, definitely still there.

By the way ... I agreed with you yesterday ( whether you were just being snarky or not -) re the tail end of the month.

To preface that potential ( on the warm side ), we live now in an era where the planet has proven, time and time again over recent decade(s) that it is "spring loaded" so to speak. Any reasons for a region's temperature anomalies to become positive, they do so tending to exceed both leading modeling indicators ( synergistic heat burst phenomenon ), and/or no problem above climate (relative to season) just in general. 

This could fade ... but it might not:   A positive +EPO --> toward a -PNA ( which sets in as whatever on the 24th is heeling out of the continent), in tandem after the 24th, that would appear to be in the least excuse imagined opportunity for exceeding. 

I will note... some 4 or 5 of the Feb and Mars going back over the last decade.5 have hosted an absurdly warm occurrence.  Day time temperatures some 25 to even 35 above normal.  

Objective acceptance of all factors above, I don't have a problem with attempting an early guess at warm anomalies over the eastern continent from ~28th - the first week of March.  Furthermore, if one is looking for a table-set pattern for igniting a synergistic heat burst ( absurdness ),  present longer range telecon projections, which show up nicely in the ens spatial layouts, too ... Well, one can fight these queues if they want.  But I choose not to be a f'ing idiot biased nimrod manic user of modeling dope, because I've created some sort of escapism in this chart surfing web realm, where such reality offends my construction.  Lol

There are two aspects ( to me ) that are notable about the next 3 weeks.  

-- Whether an important system continues to emerge ooa the 24th

-- Whether a daisy pusher warm up sets in thereafter, and whether this might even prelude a "warm burst"  

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

By the way ... I agreed with you yesterday ( whether you were just being snarky or not -) re the tail end of the month.

To preface that potential ( on the warm side ), we live now in an era where the planet has proven, time and time again over recent decade(s) that it is "spring loaded" so to speak. Any reasons for a region's temperature anomalies to become positive, they do so tending to exceed both leading modeling indicators ( synergistic heat burst phenomenon ), and/or no problem above climate (relative to season) just in general. 

This could fade ... but it might not:   A positive +EPO --> toward a -PNA ( which sets in as whatever on the 24th is heeling out of the continent), in tandem after the 24th, that would appear to be in the least excuse imagined opportunity for exceeding. 

I will note... some 4 or 5 of the Feb and Mars going back over the last decade.5 have hosted an absurdly warm occurrence.  Day time temperatures some 25 to even 35 above normal.  

Objective acceptance of all factors above, I don't have a problem with attempting an early guess at warm anomalies over the eastern continent from ~28th - the first week of March.  Furthermore, if one is looking for a table-set pattern for igniting a synergistic heat burst ( absurdness ),  present longer range telecon projections, which show up nicely in the ens spatial layouts, too ... Well, one can fight these queues if they want.  But I choose not to be a f'ing idiot biased nimrod manic user of modeling dope, because I've created some sort of escapism in this chart surfing web realm, where such reality offends my construction.  Lol

There are two aspects ( to me ) that are notable about the next 3 weeks.  

-- Whether an important system continues to emerge ooa the 24th

-- Whether a daisy pusher warm up sets in thereafter, and whether this might even prelude a "warm burst"  

I was/am/have been dead serious.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Winter has been sucking here, but if it makes you feel any better, check out the current modeled snow depth in the Midwest. I know these maps aren't perfect, but - I'm mean, just wow. Absolutely brutal.

Brutal Midwest Snowcover.png

The really incredible part is the UP of Michigan. That’s snow heaven. I’m sure they average like a 50” snow depth in February.

6 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

The really incredible part is the UP of Michigan. That’s snow heaven. I’m sure they average like a 50” snow depth in February.

Brutal for industries that rely on snow/cold/ice cover.    Almost every station across the US has below normal seasonal snowfall this year...  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I think the avg this time of year around those reporting stations is 30”ish. This looks a little worse than 11-12 was on this date. 

32 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I could get 18" of snowfall, and this winter would still be just on par with the super, 1997-1998 non-winter el Nino.

Think about that- A 30"-spot would put me on par with the 1982-1983 super el Nino...and this year has had more blocking than both.

I need about 9" to catch 1973 and 7.5" for 2016.

Think of this. I still need 1.4” to catch last season’s lofty 12.5” total. 

Hoping the mesos beef up the clipper for tomorrow night.  It happens sometimes.  Just getting a few inches and a feel of winter for the next 2 weeks would be great...before my gelid nape warms at the end of the month.  I would love an early spring, but lets winter a bit first.

• Like 2