• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

for those that don't see this pattern forming or really doing anything, there should be some kind of reasoning besides "I don't feel like it's going to." TIA

Weeklies think it will but how much can we trust any ens models post day 7 after their failures this year. 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Weeklies think it will but how much can we trust any ens models post day 7 after their failures this year. 

there is so much going for this change hemispherically that i find it very hard to believe that they're wrong. nothing is impossible, i guess

• Haha 1

Meh... the common engager tends to be pretty linear in their reactions, though:   x' looks like shit --> mood = shit     doesn't matter what happened before what they saw...discussed. any of that. gone.  see shit model solution --> mood = shit

that's their mathematics.    a few others can filter what they are seeing through a gauntlet of qualifiers, (experience + education)/2 before they react - but that processing actually limits much "reaction" at all. the may even be rather stoic to a bad or even bad series of model runs.

what is interesting about this latter type of people, possessing varying amounts of that advantage/skill ... they are deliciously fragile in self-esteem and ego and the moment they are questioned they actually react worse than those of the linear group

HAHAHAHA

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I can see the MJO reemerging in the MC continent, which adds up with my analog composite.

I suppose there may be blips, but it seems to overwhelmingly favor the IO through early March. I can see how after the 10th we break, but this should be longer than a couple weeks IMO

eps_chi200_anomaly_hov_equatorial_2024012900_MEAN.thumb.png.edc4928186febd5bde7c6f568595b734.png

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

there is so much going for this change hemispherically that i find it very hard to believe that they're wrong. nothing is impossible, i guess

The PAC is also currently slowly underdoing changes which is great to see. Typically we have to wait to start seeing changes taking place but the wheels are already slowly in motion. 

One thing that makes me a bit nervous though is regardless of the changes, we're going to lack quality cold. This is more of a concern right along the coast but as long as we can get storms to track far enough off the coast or inhibit storms from going through cyclogenesis too early or too close to the coast so we flood wild milder ATL air, we should be good (especially interior). 

All this basically means is we probably favor a tree crushing pasting vs. dry/powdery snow

• Like 1

Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

I suppose there may be blips, but it seems to overwhelmingly favor the IO through early March. I can see how after the 10th we break, but this should be longer than a couple weeks IMO

eps_chi200_anomaly_hov_equatorial_2024012900_MEAN.thumb.png.edc4928186febd5bde7c6f568595b734.png

With all due respect, you’ve been oblivious of the background tenor of the past 2 seasons.  Yes we know what guidance is saying but we’ve failed at every supposed opportunity.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

With all due respect, you’ve been oblivious of the background tenor of the past 2 seasons.  Yes we know what guidance is saying but we’ve failed at every supposed opportunity.

this is a strong Nino, the other two years were Ninas. this should not act like those years. also, at some point, the worm has to turn, that's usually how it goes. I can't forecast by saying "well last year sucked, so this one will" when everything is pointing in the other direction

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

The PAC is also currently slowly underdoing changes which is great to see. Typically we have to wait to start seeing changes taking place but the wheels are already slowly in motion. 

One thing that makes me a bit nervous though is regardless of the changes, we're going to lack quality cold. This is more of a concern right along the coast but as long as we can get storms to track far enough off the coast or inhibit storms from going through cyclogenesis too early or too close to the coast so we flood wild milder ATL air, we should be good (especially interior). 

All this basically means is we probably favor a tree crushing pasting vs. dry/powdery snow

you have flow coming out of AK, though, seems like the air masses are of pretty good quality

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

The structure of the Pacific dipole still favors a predisposition towards the MC and often times that really extended guidance will adjust to account for that at shorter leads.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

We'll see....hopefully I am wrong. ...its roughly a two week+ window IMO, then winter is over and out-

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

you have flow coming out of AK, though, seems like the air masses are of pretty good quality

Yeah you're right...just went back and looked deeper. That would or should load the coldest anomalies our way and with the split flow look we should see an active STJ. I also like the positioning of the block advertised a bit better than last time. 

If we can get that look to stick around we easily should get 2-3 solid storm threats during the second half of the month.

• Like 1

... I mean the reason I wrote that tongue-in-cheek just then is because I'm trying to figure out what the mania in here is about?

It really seems in all seriousness like there's a "mood dysfunctionalilty" that is completely triggered by the fact that there isn't a big presentation on any operational guidance cinema.    I really do wonder if a single run changes that

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this is a strong Nino, the other two years were Ninas. this should not act like those years. also, at some point, the worm has to turn, that's usually how it goes. I can't forecast by saying "well last year sucked, so this one will" when everything is pointing in the other direction

It is to a degree.....this is why the forcing has been biased so far west relative to the max SST anomalies....why December was warm and why January looked like a La Nina.

And yes, the PAC jet extension made December more extreme, agreed.

But there is no denying there is residual cool ENSO GLAAM....this El Nino has some La Nina DNA cooked into it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

... I mean the reason I wrote that tongue-in-cheek just then is because I'm trying to figure out what the mania in here is about?

It really seems in all seriousness like there's a "mood dysfunctionalilty" that is completely triggered by the fact that there isn't a big presentation on any operational guidance cinema.    I really do wonder if a single run changes that

I'm probably going to give it a week or so until I post again hahaha

I've said where I stand and have backed it up with evidence, so we'll see where the chips fall. people are antsy, annoyed, and are looking desperately for this to find any way to fail. can I blame them, no, but it doesn't really lend itself well to an honest discussion about the way things are moving

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I honestly just debating about very extended lead...nothing more or less.