Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan/Early Feb Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Goofy ass evolution that will never happen, but 6z gfs gets it done Jan 30-31

I haven't tracked the setup at all but looking back compared to now, the cold hp and boundary keeps moving in our direction. A lot of lead time so who knows if it even exists lol. But at least for now, the trend is our friend. It would be darn near a miracle or just easy #3 on our heater hahahaha

• Like 12

Couple random thoughts. I always talk about personalities of winters in a broad sense. At this point, this winter has spoken to me. It simply doesn't want to snow much up and down the east coast. Different reasons at different times but same result. North of us is suffering bad and that isn't the elephant. It's just repeating endless crappy tracks and/or setups when it matters. If you zoom out and look at the continent, our Mid-Atlantic problems are just a slice of the bigger issues plagueing the east. 
Will that change? Will Feb deliver? Beats me but my gut instinct is it probably won't up and down the coast. Feel pretty good about additional snowfall here in Feb. Might get a big one. But imho, the east as a whole is going to have a hard time doing a 180 and going on a heater. We turned on a dime in 2015 but north of us was already on an epic heater and snowfall to our NW was plentiful.
Nobody (except our little slice) up and down 95 has had any kind of heater so far. Sometimes it's just the breaks and that's what this feels like to me. Things aren't breaking right in a broad sense and that's just the way it goes. 
Upcoming pattern looks to be another temp reset which is normal in any January. Now it's looking more like a problem than a break though. We had a long stretch of broad AN heights in Canada in Dec. Ens guidance agrees on another period of that. The longer that pattern holds, the longer it will take to reset. We'll prob see the way out within a week but hard to say what that looks like yet. Guidance has completely dropped the well placed epo/pna ridge idea for now. A +pna and neutral NAO is enuff to snow in Feb. A big +nao can only "easily" be offset with a big ridge out west and perfect trough axis in the east. I'd like to think a +pna takes over for a while at some point in Feb. The idea has drifted but can most certainly snap back. 
I'm not making any predictions or spiking anything. It could turn and rip for 6 straight weeks up and down 95. But it tuff to expect that at this point. I'll just get real happy if it does but until the personality switches, it's hard to bet against it.

At this point...we are now hecs hunting and not pattern hunting but I believe Feb 15-45th will offer a window for one big east coast storm. We have had alot of moisture bombs this winter....some cold....some-ao and -nao....I believe at least once...It will all come together. Probably later than anyone thought but it will come

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

• Like 13

32 minutes ago, Ji said:

At this point...we are now hecs hunting and not pattern hunting but I believe Feb 15-45th will offer a window for one big east coast storm. We have had alot of moisture bombs this winter....some cold....some-ao and -nao....I believe at least once...It will all come together. Probably later than anyone thought but it will come

Pretty much what I'm thinking too. There's a lot of winter left. I'm just guessing based on what I've seen over the years. If we have another compressed week of winter with a moderate event followed by a decent or big one, this winter will get a B grade minimum from me. A 2-3 week favorable stretch has been completely elusive so far. Might happen but forces seem against 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ji said:

Thanks man, good insight 

• Like 1

@CAPE you’ve done a great job explaining I just wanted to add visual to what you’re saying. 

look at these two weeks on the gefs ext.  what’s the difference?  
week 3
IMG_1178.thumb.png.c21f8d9703b12f1751aadd531d955442.png

Week 5

IMG_1179.thumb.png.54ef3991e6e5c4368a7f01e06bd8b26e.png

The pacific configuration is similar. Actually the jet is more extended week 5!  What!  But how….because the nao flipped which changes the downstream reaction to the same pacific pattern. 

Like Cape said there are so many moving parts. But to generalize central and east based Ninos the jet will be extended a lot. But that works provided the nao is negative. 1958, 1966, 1987, 2010 all had epic periods kick started by a jet extension. 

True west based Modoki ninos can roll without blocking because the jet extensions are rather tame and can set up a more western leaning pac trough which in turn leads to a perfect epo pna ridge and we can roll without any nao help. Years like 2003 and 2015 fell in this category. 

But that was never the gameplan this year. We need nao help. The sudden and drastic flip in the nao is what turned things on its head. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For those tracking we have a short window as the pna ridge first goes up before it spreads east to maybe sneak in a threat. Around the 30-31. After that the eps days the pattern flips back favorable around Feb 10-12. Gefs more like 15-18. Keep in mind I’m talking about the long wave pattern. If the continent gets torched and we need 2-3 weeks to build cold again after the pattern changes…well the the clock starts to become a problem!  Let’s hope later in winter we can work with the crap air mass left behind or cold can build south faster! 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

For those tracking we have a short window as the pna ridge first goes up before it spreads east to maybe sneak in a threat. Around the 30-31. After that the eps days the pattern flips back favorable around Feb 10-12. Gefs more like 15-18. Keep in mind I’m talking about the long wave pattern. If the continent gets torched and we need 2-3 weeks to build cold again after the pattern changes…well the the clock starts to become a problem!  Let’s hope later in winter we can work with the crap air mass left behind or cold can build south faster! 

This would be a respectable look for the second week of Feb. The advertised h5 pattern becomes even more favorable beyond that, like the GEFSX panel you posted above. We have seen these looks persistently from the extended products, but it makes (more) sense given it's later in winter and the Nino should be weakening some.

1707868800-18hn4OBypkg.png

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Pretty much what I'm thinking too. There's a lot of winter left. I'm just guessing based on what I've seen over the years. If we have another compressed week of winter with a moderate event followed by a decent or big one, this winter will get a B grade minimum from me. A 2-3 week favorable stretch has been completely elusive so far. Might happen but forces seem against 

Gun to head, I think we get another 7-10 day period that has a small event on the front and a MECS-scale event in the back, although maybe with more mixing in the metros than we’d prefer. Then another 1-2 smallish events after into the first 2 weeks of March. If it played out like that, most of us would be 100-125% of climo. 

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Steve25 said:

It's happening 

2fe839ffe414f3e99f172e2a580909e1.jpg

I mean, that’s the peak of peak climo, so if we can get some fluke amidst an otherwise bad pattern, that’s the time for it to happen. Messy/mixed/flawed events are a normal part of climo for us! 2” that gets washed away, tail end slop following a rainer like December…they’re not glamorous, but that’s how we get to climo most times it happens.

• Like 3

We have a had a pattern that has been tracking threats since Dec 29..so about 22 days!

The GFS  is doing its normal run to run disco from Jan. 30 - Feb 5.

Regarding a possible late winter pattern, the Euro Weeklies more or less paint a January thaw beginning early week and extending thru Feb 5. Could be mild and wet.  A developing plus PNA encourages eastern troughiness and lower heights from Feb. 15 - March 5. If that verifies, late Feb. into March could be quite interesting.

Experts, please tell me why this wouldn't work.

image.thumb.png.dce1bd7699cff5e6b09a4e236bbf19dd.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Gun to head, I think we get another 7-10 day period that has a small event on the front and a MECS-scale event in the back, although maybe with more mixing in the metros than we’d prefer. Then another 1-2 smallish events after into the first 2 weeks of March. If it played out like that, most of us would be 100-125% of climo. 

As long as one of those small march events for you is my annual 10” wet snow bomb up here I’ll take it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

I mean, that’s the peak of peak climo, so if we can get some fluke amidst an otherwise bad pattern, that’s the time for it to happen. Messy/mixed/flawed events are a normal part of climo for us! 2” that gets washed away, tail end slop following a rainer like December…they’re not glamorous, but that’s how we get to climo most times it happens.

I don’t like the methodology behind that chart. It used way too many locations. And there is mention of the correlation value just the mean. The mean can be skewed by a huge storm somewhere. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Tell Stormy 

In the 22 years I've owned my house, the only flood threat that remotely got my interest was when the Needwood dam was thinking about popping back in 06. They evacuated the blowout zone so I was rooting for it for the sheer spectacle. 

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

GFS is pretty close for next Sunday. That is a stout HP over the top. Better timing and its a good storm. 

I kind of fear that there's gonna be an inevitable TPV lobe intruding on that progression that makes it cut.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ji said:

One of the worst snow charts I’ve ever seen. Who was expecting this heading into prime February

Natural global warming cycles suck

Here, I'll throw ya a bone. 6z Gfs obviously figured out a jacked up way to get it done but not much needed here and it's a week away. GFS is right in the pocket of similar setups. Maybe one of the rain waves next week kicks the boundary east enuff to have more cold available. This window originally looked like rain to maine and Buffalo. Notsomuch anymore. The trough is going to dig and there are multiple waves ejecting. For now, it's still low prob/flawed but no chance models have timing figured out. If we have something to track next week it will soften the blow of what may be down the pike during first 5-10 days of Feb. 

image.thumb.png.307ccf37f81ceefbe784eba37ece71af.png

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Here, I'll throw ya a bone. 6z Gfs obviously figured out a jacked up way to get it done but not much needed here and it's a week away. GFS is right in the pocket of similar setups. Maybe one of the rain waves next week kicks the boundary east enuff to have more cold available. This window originally looked like rain to maine and Buffalo. Notsomuch anymore. The trough is going to dig and there are multiple waves ejecting. For now, it's still low prob/flawed but no chance models have timing figured out. If we have something to track next week it will soften the blow of what may be down the pike during first 5-10 days of Feb. 

image.thumb.png.307ccf37f81ceefbe784eba37ece71af.png

Yeah, definitely make it alot easier to handle. Really rooting for at least a 1-4 inch event before then. To add to your positivity , 2015 was basically snowless until near Valentine's Day. 

Yeah, definitely make it alot easier to handle. Really rooting for at least a 1-4 inch event before then. To add to your positivity , 2015 was basically snowless until near Valentine's Day. 

Some would tell you 9 years is “84 years…” in the meteorology time continuum.
  • Like 1