• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan/Early Feb Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

The +PNA has really improved on medium range models over the past few days, and the long range.. looking at next 15 days, we have a pretty good Pacific for the whole period.. This is a pattern change from what we were seeing in Dec and early January.  I'm just afraid the indices waxes and wanes lately, so far in this El Nino 

46 minutes ago, Ji said:

Beating will too it. Sorry will

I might go with an above average March. 3/3 roll forwards support it so far.. plus the SOI is like +25 lately 

18 Jan 2024 1011.14 1002.35 19.70 2.12 -2.79
17 Jan 2024 1011.11 1000.95 26.15 1.47 -3.26
16 Jan 2024 1011.57 1000.25 31.61 0.63 -3.72
15 Jan 2024 1012.37 1001.05 31.61 -0.18 -4.22
14 Jan 2024 1012.57 1002.35 26.43 -0.84 -4.63
13 Jan 2024 1012.32 1002.65 23.84

9 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

But how about warmth at the beginning of met winter, though? Maybe I'm being too simplistic here, but...if it's December 1st and we've had a bit of a torch until late in the month, if there was never any cold air there in the first place...wouldn't it take from late Dec. to maybe last week to change the pattern (building cold in our source regions?)

Or are you saying the source regions should've started out colder on Dec 1st and the weren't because of...

Yes it affects us way more early in the season. That’s why Dec is warming the most and snow before Jan in DC becoming rare. Doesn’t mean it’s not affecting later at all but much less. 

2 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I don't know.. this mid-Winter is doing a pretty good job with cold. I think we just really that much underestimate the PNA.. When it's positive, cold air seems to be no problem. 

It’s a 200 hour op run. I was just teasing him. 

That's a +3SD +NAO on the 18z GEFS hr 168. It connects with the lower part of the measurement in Europe and the US, too. Just impressive.. we haven't had much of that strength since 1997 (0 +analogs for the exact dates, Jan 22-28, since 1997). 

Just clarifying that you know a super positive NAO isn’t a good thing, right?

5 hours ago, Weather Will said:

WB 12Z EPS teleconnections look like they are heading the right way as we approach early February:

IMG_2939.png

IMG_2938.png

IMG_2937.png

IMG_2934.png

IMG_2933.png

Man gotta love that quadrifecta (tetrafecta?) of -PNA, +NAO, +AO, +EPO around 1/25.  Other than that teleconnections are great!

29 minutes ago, baltosquid said:

Could get some sort of frozen out of this. Would be messy.

Unbelievable that that's even on the table with +NAO as strong as it is.  I haven't been saying to PSU that the NAO should be positive for us to see snow, I've said that the Pacific correlating, and in many cases more than evening it out (on both sides of the index), is interesting, and could result in better winter patterns going forward in this state since the NAO has almost as strong of a precip correlation as a temperature correlation here on the EC. (I'm not predicting snow or ice with the 25th storm).

• Like 2

Unbelievable that that's even on the table with +NAO as strong as it is.  I haven't been saying to PSU that the NAO should be positive for us to see snow, I've said that the Pacific correlating, and in many cases more than evening it out (on both sides of the index), is interesting, and could result in better winter patterns going forward in this state since the NAO has almost as strong of a precip correlation as a temperature correlation here on the EC. (I'm not predicting snow or ice with the 25th storm).

If the correlation is similar for precip and warmer temps, then isn’t warm and wet the likely outcome? 1047 high pressure in southern Canada and it’s raining lol. No thanks.

it seems like the crap Pacific is due to a +EAMT that is supercharging the Pacific jet for a bit… this is similar to December, but it shouldn’t be as bad given a colder source region and lingering AN heights into AK and Siberia 

once the effects of the +EAMT wear off and the Pacific jet retracts (which, again, it likely will), we should see a more favorable pattern develop mid month, similar to what happened in Jan

• Like 4