• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15-16 winter storm OBS

1 minute ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

KYW was mentioning that there was some sleet going on downtown so a mix line is on the move.

kdix_20240116_1032_BR_0.41.png

Still snow here but damn I'm getting shocked by anything I touch (static)...tried to call RedSky but he was sleeping.

23.jpg

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, RU848789 said:

As of 1 am, we're up to 1.1", so we had about another 1/4" last hour, but the radar has dried up to our SW and it's heading here, so expecting less this next hour, unless that fairly large hole closes up. Still 24F. Probably going to nap for a few hours...

Had 1.5" at 4:30 am and just had our best 30 min of the storm and as of 7 am, we're at 2.0". Starting to doubt we get to 3" here (my prediction was 3.2"), as the radar has been much spottier over the last several hours than forecasted and the short term models right now aren't showing more than another inch falling along/SE of 95, if that, especially if mixing reaches 95 later this morning when precip rates are expected to increase, at least for areas NW of 95 and N of 78, where the storm has underperformed significantly with only about 1-2" for much of NWNJ/NEPA/NENJ/NYC. Huge doubts over whether the coastal is going to deliver as much snow/precip as was modeled even a few hours ago.  Forecast was good for SNJ and CNJ SE of 95 with 3.5" in South River, 2.5" in Howell and 2.5" in Toms River. 

25 light freezing rain wind NE 4 total snowfall 3.3".  Freezing rain freezing on all surfaces snow crusted over some snow sliding off of the cars due to rain lubrication and heaviness of the snow.

Looks like 4-5" in the Baltimore area and they are picking up freezing rain. too.  Looks like they had a pretty good lifting for a time there down in Baltimore / DC for a time.

The lower totals in our area I would think is tied to dry air.

Example I was riding up to King of Prussia it was snowing when I left Media moved up towards 76 out to King of Prussia snow was having a hard time getting going.

Left King of Prussia at 5:40 pm or so and barely a dusting once moving south back down 476 it was snowing through southern Montgomery County into Northern Delaware County.  Once I got to West Chester Pike it pretty much changed the 476 was snow covered and all roads through the Route 1 corridor and up to 0.75" had already fallen.

32 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

As of 8 am we're up to 2.2" and still snowing at 26F, so temps are on the increase as the mix line gets closer (looks to be 15-20 miles SE of me). Looks like another decent band is to our SW from Philly to Trenton and will hopefully hit us (as snow).

Of course that band is sleet, damn - best looking band of the storm lost to sleet. The dual pol looked like it and verified. Final (I think) snow measurement as of 8:30 am was 2.3" and I cleared the board to measure the sleet (which does get added to the snow, although sleet is much more dense than snow - typically 1" of liquid translates to 3" of sleet and 10" of snow). Hopefully the freezing rain holds off for awhile, although the temp has jumped up to 28F...

Light snow here in EN temp at 23.0 degrees. Most areas picked up between 1.5" to 3.0" of snow last night and this morning. The NWS has continued the WWA till 4pm for maybe up to another inch of snow and or sleet accumulation today. Skies will clear overnight tonight and with the clear skies and fresh snow cover temperatures in some spots could fall into the single digits above zero tonight. Wednesday should be sunny but continued cold with highs in the low 20's. We could see some additional snow arrive Thursday night into Friday....does not look significant at this time but could make for another slippery commute on Friday morning.
Records for today: High 61 (1932) / Low minus 10 (1982) / Rain 1.71" (1924) / Snow 10.0" (1945)
image.png.d40a6187ea8ccd4ecd11261010543b93.png