• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

I'm doing a story tonight on the difficult decision making process behind the scenes which superintendents face.  Looks like we picked the right district, focusing on Jackson Township.  Kinda surprised to see a warning here actually.  I don't see how with this current forecast schools would even attempt to open as the super told me they are moving away from early dismissals.  That never made sense to me, let's send the kids home in the worst conditions.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Yea confluence is eating the northern fridge 

I think this one is about done, especially for anyone North of Rt 80. Areas near I-78 and points South look good. Maybe Southern Brooklyn, SI, and parts of Queens will do decently.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Big Jims Videos said:

I'm doing a story tonight on the difficult decision making process behind the scenes which superintendents face.  Looks like we picked the right district, focusing on Jackson Township.  Kinda surprised to see a warning here actually.  I don't see how with this current forecast schools would even attempt to open as the super told me they are moving away from early dismissals.  That never made sense to me, let's send the kids home in the worst conditions.  

Give the kids a day off to play in the snow. Some haven't been able to in over two years. They could probably do a virtual learning day if they wanted to as well.

Per Mt. Holly's latest AFD:
Maybe ratios this high for northern areas, but I don't think so down here. Probably would chop off 20-25% off their forecast

What to watch out for: Bands of heavier snow may enhance the wet
bulb effect, resulting in colder surface temperatures and higher
liquid to snow ratios. This will result in locally higher snow
amounts. Overall, liquid to snow ratios will be on the order of 14:1
to 17:1, but could get as high as 20:1.

3 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

The NAM is the weirdest model out there. I dont know how a LP can get 10mb stronger and be 30-40 miles north of its 12Z location and show less precip at the surface

namconus_ref_frzn_neus_24.png

namconus_ref_frzn_neus_30.png

All of the confluence and dry air pressing down from the North. It's actually helping to squeeze out more precip South of where that sets up. There will be a very sharp cutoff somewhere, my guess right now is around 195 in NJ.