• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Threat Thread: The Return of Hope??

stormtracker

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Anyone know what that RRFS experimental thing is?  Hopefully is sucks because it’s the only thing that has looked consistently awful for our area. 

I tried to use it for our last event and it crapped out before we got 24 hours in, but it showed a lot of sleet and I got a lot of rain, so it's not a magic bullet. I do think it is "supposed" to be the latest and greatest short/hi-res model, though.

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

I tried to use it for our last event and it crapped out before we got 24 hours in, but it showed a lot of sleet and I got a lot of rain, so it's not a magic bullet. I do think it is "supposed" to be the latest and greatest short/hi-res model, though.

It’s not. It has a lot of work to do imo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Anyone know what that RRFS experimental thing is?  Hopefully is sucks because it’s the only thing that has looked consistently awful for our area. 

It Rapid Refresh...It incorporates the NAM and some other short terms.   I think it's mostly meant for convection.  A met probably knows more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Is this going to be a drunken PBP (sort of like Drunken Boxing)???  Hopefully we'll get a very slurred "FOLKS!", and then you can return to your martini(s)!

It would be more fun if he said “FUCKS!” Am I wrong? :lol:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, stormy said:

Just smile and be happy, that's headed in the right direction. The NAM Nest has raised you from 3.5" to 6.3".     Wow!!!   If this keeps up You may need to get your blower out!!!

It’s best to ignore the NAM. Actually the totals further south seem safer. It’s all from the initial band. Further north it’s a combo of getting fringed by wave 1 and 2. That’s the kinda stuff that’s risky. NW of 95 has more upside but also more bust potential is the initial band sets up south like non NAM guidance and then the coastal doesn’t get going in time. Would leave places NW dry. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s best to ignore the NAM. Actually the totals further south seem safer. It’s all from the initial band. Further north it’s a combo of getting fringed by wave 1 and 2. That’s the kinda stuff that’s risky. NW of 95 has more upside but also more bust potential is the initial band sets up south like non NAM guidance and then the coastal doesn’t get going in time. Would leave places NW dry. 

That’s a good point, but also incorrect. The Euro doesn’t do the first part and you and I still get the good totals. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

OK , I'll follow your advice and look forward to the 18z GFS for comparison

The ECM is really conservative compared to the others. Are the better physics telling?

2 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

That’s a good point, but also incorrect. The Euro doesn’t do the first part and you and I still get the good totals. 

The euro and icon are kinda in between with a wider more uniform distribution from the initial frontal banding because it shifts north then no real coastal enhancement. That would be acceptable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stormy said:

OK , I'll follow your advice and look forward to the 18z GFS for comparison

The ECM is really conservative compared to the others. Are the better physics telling?

This is also kinda incorrect. The Euro shows 4-5” totals up towards Mt.PSU, whereas a model like the ICON, GGEM, RGEM have a 2-4 distro…

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yeah...about that...

The Rapid Refresh Forecast System -- RRFS -- will ultimately replace the current CAMs, including the NAM, HRRR, ARW, ARW2, and HREF suite. Many aren't on board with that, at least right now, given (a) the poor verification of the RRFS at this point, and (2) while the RRFS is an ensemble, it's ensembles are of the same system. Whereas the HREF is comprised of an ensemble of multiple (different) systems. Not looking forward to that day...hopefully it'll be put off. 

Rapid Refresh Forecast System

GSL, NCEP/EMC, and other partners are working together on a project to design a single-model, convection-allowing, ensemble-based data assimilation, and forecasting system called the Rapid Refresh Forecast System (RRFS). This project aims to develop advanced high-resolution data-assimilation techniques and ensemble-forecasting methods while supporting the unification and simplification of the NCEP modeling suite around the FV3 model. (<-- But the FV3 has been pretty crappy verification-wise).

Within the NOAA model unification effort, the RRFS represents the evolution of the NAM, RAP, HRRR, and HREF systems to a new unified deterministic and ensemble storm-scale system. This new system is targeted for initial operational implementation in late 2024 as a planned replacement for the NAMnest, HRRR, HiResWindows, and HREF. While the standalone regional (SAR) FV3 model is being developed for convection-allowing forecasting of a limited area (CONUS), other possible components of the RRFS are being tested now in the experimental, WRF-based High-Resolution Rapid Refresh Ensemble (HRRRE). Experimental runs of the HRRRE at GSL are focused particularly on:

• Improving 0-12 h high-resolution forecasts through ensemble-based, multi-scale data assimilation
  • Producing spread in 0-36 h ensemble forecasts through initial-condition perturbations, boundary-condition perturbations, and stochastic physics.

GSL is the owner and responsible for all data in this AWS S3 Bucket.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3