Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

2 minutes ago, bearman said:

How long is this suppose to last in Knoxville Area? 

Looks like solid returns until 7 or 8 with lighter backend stuff until around midnight. 

Someone is going to score a foot, right? Especially if this thing can back build a bit as it moves out into the night. 

• Like 4

This is definitely the most bipolar snow storm I've seen, it'll mix for 30 minutes followed by moderate to heavy snow then back again.  Hopefully the rates help cool the atmosphere and keep it all snow towards the latter part of the day 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stovepipe said:

I've joined the 4 inch club.  Maynardville Hwy is passable but the brine is losing the battle.  I'm actually fairly proud of north Knox as I did not see anyone doing donuts in the road or parking lots yet.  Although, for some reason quite a few people stop obeying traffic lights and stop signs in this mess.  Yeah buddy, your diesel truck is cool, but you still need to stop at the red light.  Anyway, very happy to get a pasting in this area.  Might be a 20 year storm before it's over.

Yeah getting a lot of 4 inch reports from friends here in the central valley. At the rate it's falling, seems 8 is obtainable total. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stovepipe said:

I've joined the 4 inch club.  Maynardville Hwy is passable but the brine is losing the battle.  I'm actually fairly proud of north Knox as I did not see anyone doing donuts in the road or parking lots yet.  Although, for some reason quite a few people stop obeying traffic lights and stop signs in this mess.  Yeah buddy, your diesel truck is cool, but you still need to stop at the red light.  Anyway, very happy to get a pasting in this area.  Might be a 20 year storm before it's over.

We've had 3 parking lot donuts and two main road donut incidents since 8 am per the scanner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

How long is this suppose to last in Knoxville Area? 

The moisture feed goes all the way back to Tx/La border. The bigger question is when does the whole feed start to shift SE. As long as @John1122 and our friend on the northern Plateau continues to see snow we are fine in the valley. Like John just said…. The radar doesn’t look great NW of Knoxville but the snow is there. It’s colder to the NW of Knoxville so the DGZ is lower and that area is in a radar dead zone. The radar is likely shooting over the top of the snow.

• Like 2

Looks safe to say WVLTs 2-3" accumulation for me and Knoxville is a complete bust, especially since most in that 2-3" forecast still have about 10 to 12 hours of snowfall to go. Really surprised they downplayed this event so much when they surely saw guidance.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PowellVolz said:

The moisture feed goes all the way back to Tx/La border. The bigger question is when does the whole feed start to shift SE. As long as @John1122 and our friend on the northern Plateau continues to see snow we are fine in the valley. Like John just said…. The radar doesn’t look great NW of Knoxville but the snow is there. It’s colder to the NW of Knoxville so the DGZ is lower and that area is in a radar dead zone. The radar is likely shooting over the top of the snow.

Feel like being north of 40 is big for this storm. 

• Like 1

Halls is Maynardville light so… lol.. my wife is from Union County.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

The radar looked ragged/light but it's very small flakes/pixie dust and it snowed 1.5 inches in about an hour and 30 minutes from 10ish to 11:30. We had been in an extended break before then.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

Changed over to rain currently in/around Gray and Boones Creek.  Still snowing at the office in Erwin, but there's definitely a battle going on upstairs.

Still snowing in Colonial Heights about 5 miles north of Gray.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on everyone getting a good one! North Hamilton County is doing very well. Southern Hamilton, not so much. We just can't keep a steady snow. The start/stop of the snow is making very hard to accumulate.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

I’m so glad you are getting in on this, even if it’s 2-4”. My buddy in Cleveland has been asking me all week what’s going to happen. I told him he’s on a line where 2 or 3 miles might be the difference in all or nothing.

• Like 1

Looks safe to say WVLTs 2-3" accumulation for me and Knoxville is a complete bust, especially since most in that 2-3" forecast still have about 10 to 12 hours of snowfall to go. Really surprised they downplayed this event so much when they surely saw guidance.

Actually……I started to feel sorry for the on-air people. They probably knew it was gonna bust high, but there was probably some one in management that told them what they HAD to say. Either that…..or they are just plain ignorant!!!!

• Like 3

Actually……I started to feel sorry for the on-air people. They probably knew it was gonna bust high, but there was probably some one in management that told them what they HAD to say. Either that…..or they are just plain ignorant!!!!

Right I really wonder what was going on behind the scenes.
  • Like 1

It’s just not accumulating much here for the most part. I’d expect the evening and overnight hours to really deteriorate once we lose the sun and temps drop. The mountains usually squeeze out every ounce of moisture the atmosphere has before the system exits.

Moisture returns look incredible downstream. We just need to get well below 32 degrees.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Icy Hot said:

Still snowing in Colonial Heights about 5 miles north of Gray.

It is right on the line.  I just drove KPT to Gray.  I-26 is awful from John B to Eastern Star and then it flipped to heavy mix and then rain by Gray.   Main snow axis appear to be just to the left of I-81.  Colonial Heights should be getting blitzed.  Has changed back to moderate to heavy snow now at Gray.

• Like 4

On my excursion to Food City I saw one guy that made me proud.  He was in a little late 80s Ford Ranger, loaded down with miscellaneous stuff in the back with CHAINS on the rear tires.  My dude was also obeying the stop signs and traffic lights.  :guitar:

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

I think us north of Knoxville is transitioning to higher ratio snow. The radar looks about the same but the flake size is smaller but the intensity has picked up. Hopefully this continues SE towards @Reb .

Temp actually jumped up to 30, but yes. Small flakes, but like a billion falling at once. lol 

• Like 2

Goodness, just running the eye ball test and I swear, we are going to be at 6 before too long. As an unofficial measurement tool, I placed random beers throughout the yard. I can only see the very top now. Going to have a beer hunt tonight. lol 

Will go out and measure officially here shortly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic