Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

H5 is better, but trof is just too broad

The main SW is digging more...that is the MOST important thing IMO.  It's a sloppy phase with the STJ and the lead wave runs off and its a mess and never recovers...but we can work on all that so long as we have more dig from the main SW.  Without that nothing else matters.  The thing is DOA.  This solution while underwhelming leaves open the possibility for a better result.  Yesterday it was heading the wrong way in that regard. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

NAO was negative... people at the time called it "thread the needle" but the pattern was pretty good...just the thermals were marginal and "iffy"  by those days standards anyways lol.  Perfect track and amplification overcame the marginal temps.  Then everyone complained when it melted right after because again...the airmass wasnt cold. 

compday.mcAezJrgN3.gif.2a561e0167c9820fa15e30ab9bf84085.gif

Gotcha, thanks. The threading the needle part was on thermals, not NAO.

1 minute ago, Terpeast said:

Gotcha, thanks. The threading the needle part was on thermals, not NAO.

yes...BTW I uploaded the wrong image and just fixed it LOL.  The one I originally put was from Feb 2016.  Ironically they look very similar which is why I didn't catch it right away.  Which is funny because I've always held we underperformed in 2016 and that period in Feb is one reason why...but there was a perfect track rainstorm in Feb 2016, I got about 9" up here, and I think that was the one I posted first.

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

NAO was negative... people at the time called it "thread the needle" but the pattern was pretty good...just the thermals were marginal and "iffy"  by those days standards anyways lol.  Perfect track and amplification overcame the marginal temps.  Then everyone complained when it melted right after because again...the airmass wasnt cold. 

compday.ANrZqtvXN4.gif.63e8b96d8c01a9eb8adda916ad504886.gif

that was the storm that the JMA jumped on first...and its been history ever since!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ji said:

ya thats not going to work for us

The good news is if you look at the mid and upper levels...we are in what would be the comma head and deform zone IF the low actually amplifies closer to the coast.  This was a MUCH better setup for us to get a snowstorm than last nights runs.  Problem was the initial wave kinda ran off and the phase was sloppy AF and it never came together...but we were in the perfect location to get into it had the storm phased cleaner.  A lot of runs recently...even if it all came together we were going to be too far SW based on the mid and upper level progression.  I liked this run a lot better for our prospects. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The good news is if you look at the mid and upper levels...we are in what would be the comma head and deform zone IF the low actually amplifies closer to the coast.  This was a MUCH better setup for us to get a snowstorm than last nights runs.  Problem was the initial wave kinda ran off and the phase was sloppy AF and it never came together...but we were in the perfect location to get into it had the storm phased cleaner.  A lot of runs recently...even if it all came together we were going to be too far SW based on the mid and upper level progression.  I liked this run a lot better for our prospects. 

JB and you are on the same page

https://x.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/1746963158198067411?s=20

These strong -WPO patterns usually flip. Here's the Jan 500mb regression correlation to WP-index
https://ibb.co/WKJnvb1

See how it reverses over Alaska the next month

https://ibb.co/tCJW8KT

That's what we are seeing on models.. it maxes out near +600dm Jan 17-19

https://ibb.co/L5Bz98K

Then it flips over AK Jan 22-24

https://ibb.co/WDSGf8Q

It could really get warm when that happens.. it also looks like the +NAO is pulling from the depths of the Atlantic tropics, as like 50% of the Hemisphere is above average Jan 25-27.  Ensemble mean has the 576dm line in DC Jan 23-25. 

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

These strong -WPO patterns usually flip. Here's the Jan 500mb regression correlation to WP-index
https://ibb.co/WKJnvb1

See how it reverses over Alaska the next month

https://ibb.co/tCJW8KT

That's what we are seeing on models.. it maxes out near +600dm Jan 17-19

https://ibb.co/L5Bz98K

Then it flips over AK Jan 22-24

https://ibb.co/WDSGf8Q

It could really get warm when that happens.. it also looks like the +NAO is pulling from the depths of the Atlantic tropics, as like 50% of the Hemisphere is above average Jan 25-27. 

Crap, the real Chuck is back. 

• Haha 5

something to keep an eye on Friday is the development of a coastal low (before its too late)

I noticed the 24 precip total frames for the event have trended west a noticeable amount the past 2-3 runs.

• Like 1

Well shit... guess we're all fucked (no I didn't edit it at all... go read the afternoon AFD from LWX just issued and you'll see it yourself)

Precipitation chances overspread the area overnight Thursday into
Friday as model guidance indicates an area of low pressure
developing and travelling up the east coast. With high temperatures
forecast in the low to mid 300s for most (teens and 20s at higher
elevations), any precipitation will be snow. We will continue to
monitor this event as it gets closer in time.

As the aforementioned upper level trough pivots out of the area,
upper level ridging and high pressure at the surface build over the
area. Upslope snow showers continue through Saturday afternoon along
and west of the Alleghenies with dry conditions expected elsewhere
through Sunday. Saturday will be the coolest day of the long term
period with highs staying in the 20s for most. Those in metro areas
or located near the Chesapeake Bay will get into the low 30s while
higher elevations dip into the low teens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Well shit... guess we're all fucked (no I didn't edit it at all... go read the afternoon AFD from LWX just issued and you'll see it yourself)

Precipitation chances overspread the area overnight Thursday into
Friday as model guidance indicates an area of low pressure
developing and travelling up the east coast. With high temperatures
forecast in the low to mid 300s for most (teens and 20s at higher
elevations), any precipitation will be snow. We will continue to
monitor this event as it gets closer in time.

As the aforementioned upper level trough pivots out of the area,
upper level ridging and high pressure at the surface build over the
area. Upslope snow showers continue through Saturday afternoon along
and west of the Alleghenies with dry conditions expected elsewhere
through Sunday. Saturday will be the coolest day of the long term
period with highs staying in the 20s for most. Those in metro areas
or located near the Chesapeake Bay will get into the low 30s while
higher elevations dip into the low teens.

Shit. It was nice knowing y'all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

New Euro gets DC up to 580dm Jan 23rd! 470'sdm over south Greenland, makes that a >100dm gradient/difference! CPC has the AO hitting +3 

I love you Chuck, but is it possible they give you back access to the PR/OT but revoke the weather discussion posting?. 

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2024 at 3:15 PM, WEATHER53 said:

You can always bite me and/or use the ignore feature. It takes a maturity level that you lack to not lash out if your model babies get called ugly

i dont believe I ever  directed anything directly to you so your attack at me is immature and inappropriate. Also you are foolishly arrogant to pose  as some sort of board spokesman .

The ignore feature is yours. I will have no need to speak to you again. Models suck at predicting snow for around here. If you can’t deal with that then keep it to yourself. 

No no, by all mean, keep stomping your widdle feets and telling all the mets how bad their models are. Everyone loves it and wishes you would keep doing it, lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic