Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Not really concerned no. TPV in a good spot and my guess is -NAO episodes will be more prevalent in Feb. Euro weeklies have been persistently advertising it and that tool has performed quite well this winter so far.

Speaking of.. the latest edition is a damn near perfect h5 depiction. It has been very consistent with this look overall for the back half of winter. -NAO develops earlier but this period is where the pattern really becomes mature. Hard to see on this view but that is a west based -NAO.

1708300800-rMzBbQEAU48.png

• Like 8

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Speaking of.. the latest edition is a damn near perfect h5 depiction. It has been very consistent with this look overall for the back half of winter. -NAO develops earlier but this period where the pattern really becomes mature. Hard to see on this view but that is a west based -NAO.

This is encouraging because the EPS long range has been doing great this winter. 

• Like 1

lil cute 1 to 2" if the GFS is to be believed.  We only lost like what? 10" of snow from one run to the next

It’s all about strength of that sw entering the pac…seems like the stronger sw…the better chance it would dig

Terrible run

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

lil cute 1 to 2" if the GFS is to be believed.  We only lost like what? 10" of snow from one run to the next

Unfortunately this outcome aligns with what the ensembles have been persistently signaling since this became a 'window of interest'. I've made enough posts about it so I'll just shut up now and hope for the best like everyone else lol. We at least have time on our side.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Speaking of.. the latest edition is a damn near perfect h5 depiction. It has been very consistent with this look overall for the back half of winter. -NAO develops earlier but this period is where the pattern really becomes mature. Hard to see on this view but that is a west based -NAO.

Of course near President's Day.  Looks great. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Unfortunately this outcome aligns with what the ensembles have been persistently signaling since this became a 'window of interest'. I've made enough posts about it so I'll just shut up now and hope for the best like everyone else lol. We at least have time on our side.

I hesitate to ask...but could you give a quick summary? (I may have missed your discussion before) Just asked about whether this had to do with the tpv, lol

9 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I hesitate to ask...but could you give a quick summary? (I may have missed your discussion before) Just asked about whether this had to do with the tpv, lol

I made 2 posts related to this in this thread today. Do a quick look through and read them. One is just a page or so back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Terpeast said:

Are you saying the gfs handles nrn streams better than the euro?

I’ve heard this too form reliable sources. Of course I’ve yet to see it work in our favor. But I’ve seen the gfs school the euro to our detriment a couple times and this was the reason given. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

surprisingly, the GEFS actually defied the OP (shocker) and is more amped with the trough 

IMG_4289.thumb.gif.3e4d5dcf98ac46bb42bc455d6ebb477b.gif

The fact the op lost the mece isn’t a shock. The 12z ensembles showed a few hits and a lot of very light or no snow solutions. Even if the envelope improved from like 20% to 40% hits the odds would still favor the op drawing a less amplified solution.  IMO people don’t attribute rhe operational results at range to chance enough.  You’re just randomly getting one of the permutations possible within the envelope of likely outcomes at that range. It’s how that envelope of permutations trends run to run that matters way more than what the op says. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I made 2 posts related to this in this thread today. Do a quick look through and read them. One is just a page or so back.

Ah I see it...I was looking down the list of your posts to find it but somehow I still missed it, lol My apologies (shouldn't have asked ya to repeat it after you spent the time making it)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The fact the op lost the mece isn’t a shock. The 12z ensembles showed a few hits and a lot of very light or no snow solutions. Even if the envelope improved from like 20% to 40% hits the odds would still favor the op drawing a less amplified solution.  IMO people don’t attribute rhe operational results at range to chance enough.  You’re just randomly getting one of the permutations possible within the envelope of likely outcomes at that range. It’s how that envelope of permutations trends run to run that matters way more than what the op says. 

it’s just surprising that the ENS defied the OP. the GEFS almost invariably follows the OP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarkSharkWX said:

tomer said that the euro weeklies keep cankicking the feb pattern though?? personally i dont see it but idk

I don’t think its can kicking per say but I see some slightly troubling trends for early Feb. 

EPS 10 days ago 

IMG_0938.thumb.png.a592c7be179c84ad9177369ffc1bbc28.png

eps now IMG_0937.thumb.png.6ec30b631332e63013f1303da99d8a80.png

the major features are the same. But the eps has been delaying the -nao from redeveloping.  That isn’t shocking that’s really hard for guidance to get right.  Unfortunately that will be huge once the pac jet extends again.

There will be a brief period late Jan as the pac jet starts to extend that the configuration is perfect and we don’t need any nao help to get cold. But early Feb the pac trough gets slightly east of perfect again. Not bad. Very common for a Nino. But we need some blocking help to stop the warmer air being injected there from spreading east and taking over. It’s still not a bad look at all. We would get chances. But the new look has more thermal issues than the look 10 days ago. 

If you want to be an optimist the eps is trending even better for the period Feb 10-25 though. It went from good to OMG how can it not snow in that.  And I know we’re all super impatient now justifiably so but Mid Feb to early March is not too late. 2014, 2015, 2018 our best snow was after Feb 10 all those years!  And two of them we remember very fondly!  

Personally since I’m out of the area from Feb 3-10 I’m ok with the timing. lol. I’ll duck and cover now…

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Not at that range in a NS dominant chaotic pattern with a pinwheeling block/tpv.  You’re right in other situations. 

That tpv is getting on my nerves...makes it feel like when waves are flying around in ninas, smh Hope it's in a better spot after the brief relax.

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

That tpv is getting on my nerves...makes it feel like when waves are flying around in ninas, smh Hope it's in a better spot after the brief relax.

Exactly. I said I didn’t like that feature before this pattern started. Wish I had been wrong about that!  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic