• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moving to get more snow?

For everyone on here.  I am sure that some of you have thought about moving to get more snow.  I grew up in the 70s and 80s along I-78 about 10 miles east of I-287 and really did not like being on the wrong side of the rain/snow line all to often.  I remember thinking that maybe when I grew up I could live in northwest New Jersey or up into the Hudson Valley to get more snow.  As an adult, I moved several times and currently live about 15 miles west of Albany at higher elevation so I certainly was able to move up into a snowier climate.  I also lived in Binghamton for 15 years.  You learn that there is no such thing as a perfect place for weather, and every place gets ripped off from time to time, but certainly upstate NY is better than the NYC area if you like snow!  Wondering if anyone around NYC has considered moving, and where you think a "perfect" place might be...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bgmsnowman said:

For everyone on here.  I am sure that some of you have thought about moving to get more snow.  I grew up in the 70s and 80s along I-78 about 10 miles east of I-287 and really did not like being on the wrong side of the rain/snow line all to often.  I remember thinking that maybe when I grew up I could live in northwest New Jersey or up into the Hudson Valley to get more snow.  As an adult, I moved several times and currently live about 15 miles west of Albany at higher elevation so I certainly was able to move up into a snowier climate.  I also lived in Binghamton for 15 years.  You learn that there is no such thing as a perfect place for weather, and every place gets ripped off from time to time, but certainly upstate NY is better than the NYC area if you like snow!  Wondering if anyone around NYC has considered moving, and where you think a "perfect" place might be...

Thought has crossed my mind. But I wouldn’t actually act on it lol

we get our fair share of snow here on LI

the inconsistency sucks though. One year 2” and the next year 60”. That I cannot stand

we thought about a move to Raleigh cause we’d live like royalty but I’m just not down with no snow at all 

23 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

IMO the only way to ensure that you see consistently snowy winters over the next few decades will be to head to higher altitude away from the ocean influences. I think that somewhere above 7k feet and north of about I70 ought to do it. That obviously takes the east coast off the table. 

You can still score really well in the greens of Vermont above 2,000” were real estate and amenity’s exist. I mean they had a 40”+ storm last year and the snow banks were mind boggling due to the tremendous water content. And then of course there’s the good old tug hill, but that’s about as isolated as it gets. So if I were to choose a spot that’s only a few hours from Boston and 4ish from nyc it’s the southern greens. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bgmsnowman said:

Good afternoon bgms. My dream was to live, close to a lighthouse, somewhere on the NNE coast. Even though such a reality is surely gone, the dream will always remain. As always ….

IMG_7037.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

You can still score really well in the greens of Vermont above 2,000” were real estate and amenity’s exist. I mean they had a 40”+ storm last year and the snow banks were mind boggling due to the tremendous water content. And then of course there’s the good old tug hill, but that’s about as isolated as it gets. So if I were to choose a spot that’s only a few hours from Boston and 4ish from nyc it’s the southern greens. 

Yeah but the random biggies in between stretches of ice and mud isn't what to move for. 

15 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah but the random biggies in between stretches of ice and mud isn't what to move for. 

True, if you really love snow on a level that it dictates your life I would pick Valdez Alaska above 5000’. You’re going to average close to 1000” a year. That’s the ultimate sweet spot. 

12 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

True, if you really love snow on a level that it dictates your life I would pick Valdez Alaska above 5000’. You’re going to average close to 1000” a year. That’s the ultimate sweet spot. 

What about Watertown or one of those other towns up there that gets over 200" every year?

On 1/4/2024 at 1:16 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I’d probably pick somewhere along the I-88 corridor, Cooperstown area maybe. They get some of everything-lake effect and can get slammed by synoptic storms. Also not too far from NYC. 

On 1/4/2024 at 12:04 PM, WestBabylonWeather said:

we thought about a move to Raleigh cause we’d live like royalty but I’m just not down with no snow at all 

you get used to it. To me, the big problem is getting snow then wishing for more right after- it's very addicting. But when you have even less snow, it is less addicting and you learn to appreciate it when it comes

6 minutes ago, Fantom X said:

you get used to it. To me, the big problem is getting snow then wishing for more right after- it's very addicting. But when you have even less snow, it is less addicting and you learn to appreciate it when it comes

A lot of my Long Island family moved to Clayton. And a friend of mine from Merrick bought a house in Raleigh to. I just can’t do the no snow thing. Personally 

On 1/4/2024 at 1:21 PM, rclab said:

Good afternoon bgms. My dream was to live, close to a lighthouse, somewhere on the NNE coast. Even though such a reality is surely gone, the dream will always remain. As always ….

IMG_7037.png

My dream as well, rclab. Add a railroad and I would be set.

2 hours ago, STORMANLI said:

My dream as well, rclab. Add a railroad and I would be set.

Good afternoon SMLI. I just read that the last light keeper, in the nation, has retired. She was at the Boston Light. I pray you have many years left for your dream to come true. Chronologically mine will always remain as a dream until I can dream no more. May you reach your light by rail, someday. As always ….. 

IMG_7046.png

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 9:44 PM, jm1220 said:

I’d probably pick somewhere along the I-88 corridor, Cooperstown area maybe. They get some of everything-lake effect and can get slammed by synoptic storms. Also not too far from NYC. 

They haven’t done that well the last few years. You really need as much elevation as possible in our new climate. 1000’ used to be great, now it’s 2000’+. Which really cuts down options to the greens and whites. There isn’t much infrastructure above 2k in the Catskills or even Adirondacks. I guess the top of the Pocono plateau being above 2k can get it done, but they always seem to be to Far Sw in our current storm track. 

Just now, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

They haven’t done that well the last few years. You really need as much elevation as possible in our new climate. 1000’ used to be great, now it’s 2000’+. Which really cuts down options to the greens and whites. There isn’t much infrastructure above 2k in the Catskills or even Adirondacks. I guess the top of the Pocono plateau being above 2k can get it done, but they always seem to be to Far Sw in our current storm track. 

Honestly I would love to see an obs station setup on top the Nordstrom tower on the flat roof at 1550’. Sunday, I could see even the 500’ new buildings on the uws completely obscured in heavy snow, while we had white rain at the surface. I would have to imagine, that roof scored 6” of more, similar to elevations similar in jersey.

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It's better to be in the Poconos honestly.  2 1/2 hours from NYC and you get that 2,000 ft elevation.

There was over a foot at my other house there and it has the same latitude as The Bronx.

South of I-80, just north of Allentown (which has the same latitude as JFK.)

They also had over 30" in Jan 2016!

• Weenie 1

I used to think when I was in high school and college that I wanted to end up in Florida because I do love the beach and boating. But I also love skiing. The only season I cannot stand is spring. I love summer and winter, so moving to a place without winter would be tough for me. The older I get the more I actually love the cold, it is just invigorating to take a deep breath of cold air. The only thing that stinks is the cost to heat a house!

16 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

I used to think when I was in high school and college that I wanted to end up in Florida because I do love the beach and boating. But I also love skiing. The only season I cannot stand is spring. I love summer and winter, so moving to a place without winter would be tough for me. The older I get the more I actually love the cold, it is just invigorating to take a deep breath of cold air. The only thing that stinks is the cost to heat a house!

The last two springs have been pretty good though, dry and very warm and low humidity and not much rain-- this is why my allergies have gotten much less-- but they come back in summer when it rains lol

12 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

The last two springs have been pretty good though, dry and very warm and low humidity and not much rain-- this is why my allergies have gotten much less-- but they come back in summer when it rains lol

That’s because spring last year was January to March :blink:

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Given that this is the NYC Metro forum, I wonder if a better question is where is the best place to live within reasonable driving/train distance from NYC and I'll go with 35 miles from Central Park as a somewhat arbitrary cutoff, since that distance generally means you're probably within a 1-hour commute (on a good day and not from all locations within 35 miles).  If that were the criterion, I might have to go with West Milford in NW Passaic County, the NW part of which is at about 1000 feet in elevation and about 34 miles NW of CPK, so it'll get elevation-driven snows as well as still not being too far NW to miss on most coastals (unlike the Poconos which can miss on those).  I live about 27 miles SW of CPK, right on the 95 corridor and generally get very similar snowfall as CPK, except in very borderline events like the past few, where the UHI can really hurt CPK or latitude can hurt like the last one (we have 7.3" to 2.3" for CPK, which still sounds a bit low to me).  As much as I'd love more snow, this is where friends and family are, so moving is doubtful.  

JB81SQM.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Given that this is the NYC Metro forum, I wonder if a better question is where is the best place to live within reasonable driving/train distance from NYC and I'll go with 35 miles from Central Park as a somewhat arbitrary cutoff, since that distance generally means you're probably within a 1-hour commute (on a good day and not from all locations within 35 miles).  If that were the criterion, I might have to go with West Milford in NW Passaic County, the NW part of which is at about 1000 feet in elevation and about 34 miles NW of CPK, so it'll get elevation-driven snows as well as still not being too far NW to miss on most coastals (unlike the Poconos which can miss on those).  I live about 27 miles SW of CPK, right on the 95 corridor and generally get very similar snowfall as CPK, except in very borderline events like the past few, where the UHI can really hurt CPK or latitude can hurt like the last one (we have 7.3" to 2.3" for CPK, which still sounds a bit low to me).  As much as I'd love more snow, this is where friends and family are, so moving is doubtful.  

JB81SQM.png

West Milford is great-- any idea what the average annual snowfall is up there?

I lived in Sayreville (Morgan section, right on the Raritan Bay).  So many crappy 80s winters.    Moved up to Jefferson at 900 ft elevation in 2004, been in Denville 600 ft elevation since 2009. Just north of 80.  I can hear the highway at night, that close… It’s not super snowy area -but I’m in the game for a lot more storms than the coast /nyc metro.   If you really like snow but can’t move far away due to work family etc id recommend northwest nj.   Even this crummy winter it’s snowed a few times and I’ve had solid snowcover on the ground over a week now…I would prefer to be up in NH/Maine or maybe far Northeast PA.   Best spots up here probably West Milford -Vernon -Jefferson- Highland lakes community up in Vernon over 1200 feet elevation some parts 1400+.  Hour and half tops from NYC.   

On 1/9/2024 at 8:24 AM, LibertyBell said:

It's better to be in the Poconos honestly.  2 1/2 hours from NYC and you get that 2,000 ft elevation.

There was over a foot at my other house there and it has the same latitude as The Bronx.

South of I-80, just north of Allentown (which has the same latitude as JFK.)

They also had over 30" in Jan 2016!

Yeah if you want crappy Podunk poconos. Much better options are Green and Whites. 

• Weenie 1