Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Sanitarium - Winter 23/24 Edition

eyewall

2 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

If anyone’s in need for some entertainment today, head to the New England forum. They have had warnings posted for up to 12-18” since yesterday and the latest EURO completely blanks a lot of those areas. Total meltdown mode up there 

Full blown meltdown on twitter right now from NE mets and followers.  i feel bad for them but a little glimpse of the heartbreak we go through every winter..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UnionCountyNCWX said:

I was supposed to be at Beech the weekend of the 16 incher, but called into work 48 hours before i was supposed to leave. It stings now more than ever that I missed that.

ugh I am sorry.

Man what a terrible winter if you love snow.  We were all built up for above average snow due to El Nino and damn we've had only a trace which is worst than last year.  I mean what the hell.  If it isn't going to snow I want warm and dry.  I can't believe we haven't had one storm that produced a nice winter storm.  Frustrating!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tacoma said:

Man what a terrible winter if you love snow.  We were all built up for above average snow due to El Nino and damn we've had only a trace which is worst than last year.  I mean what the hell.  If it isn't going to snow I want warm and dry.  I can't believe we haven't had one storm that produced a nice winter storm.  Frustrating!!!

A cold January produced nothing but a high heating bill, I didn't  like them apples. 

Oh the weathermen say it'll be frightful, But the kids say so delightful, And as long as they say it's so,  It'll snow, it'll snow, it'll snow.  

In the morning when it gets light, How I hate going out in the cold, But if the weathermen get it right, I'll get to stay home with the snow.  

Now our hopes are slowly dying, All the models they were lying, As the thermometer is rising so, Where's the snow, where's the snow, where's the snow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My hopes have turned to a mild damp spring that lasts until May~ish with out the killing frosts of March.  Peach crops took a pounding last year, let's hope things play out better this time around.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jpbart said:

My hopes have turned to a mild damp spring that lasts until May~ish with out the killing frosts of March.  Peach crops took a pounding last year, let's hope things play out better this time around.

I’m gonna be that guy…. Torch baby torch! Let’s knock out pollen season efficiently and get to that beautiful time of year on steamy days when you’re watching 30k ft towers break the cap in the distance and fall asleep to those long rumbles of thunder. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

I’m gonna be that guy…. Torch baby torch! Let’s knock out pollen season efficiently and get to that beautiful time of year on steamy days when you’re watching 30k ft towers break the cap in the distance and fall asleep to those long rumbles of thunder. 

Trout are starting to move around. The White bass and Walleye are spawning from Lake James in the Catawba. Days are getting longer, the air is starting to get that fresh feel of spring. The older I get the more I dislike winter, especially if it isn't going to snow. All winter is anymore is a breeding ground for sickness. My 2 kids cant stay healthy more than a few weeks. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I believe being blanked two winters in a row would be a first for Raleigh.

I think someone pulled two other instances of it earlier but we’re getting very close to our record. Also, I bet those other blankings featured some sort of ice or storms nearby. It’s the complete lack of ANYTHING remotely close that blows me away. Not even Greensboro or Roxboro has had snow in this period. From that perspective, this feels unprecedented. I mean 2 years in a row and not a single system inside 5 days to track, it feels about as close to snowing here as it’s been in Tampa Florida during this time 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I think someone pulled two other instances of it earlier but we’re getting very close to our record. Also, I bet those other blankings featured some sort of ice or storms nearby. It’s the complete lack of ANYTHING remotely close that blows me away. Not even Greensboro or Roxboro has had snow in this period. From that perspective, this feels unprecedented. I mean 2 years in a row and not a single system inside 5 days to track, it feels about as close to snowing here as it’s been in Tampa Florida during this time 

You are spot on with that!

On 2/16/2024 at 7:00 AM, eyewall said:

I believe being blanked two winters in a row would be a first for Raleigh.

I believe it's happened twice before. 1990-91 and 1991-92 each only had a trace of snow. Same with 1948-49 and 1949-50. But the third time in over 120 years of records is still pretty bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Well it appears that the blocking we need for winter to get snow may arrive in March to get cold rain.  So let's hope for 3 years no snow and get into the record books.  I mean what the hell, might as well get something out of this misery. 

• Haha 3

On 2/20/2024 at 6:31 PM, jpbart said:

Well it appears that the blocking we need for winter to get snow may arrive in March to get cold rain.  So let's hope for 3 years no snow and get into the record books.  I mean what the hell, might as well get something out of this misery. 

Blocking beginning in March is about as sure as the Spring solstice. 

• Haha 1

NGL, I legit just about got mad at the 12z GFS. go to hour 228, and watch that HP build in. You LITERALLY CANNOT draw up a better HP to have during a storm, and of course we have nothing coming in during that. granted there's still no artic air around, but that is textbook HP for us to score.

• Like 1