• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2024

6 hours ago, GaWx said:

-For RDU for the 31 El Niños that were moderate or stronger, keep in mind for snowfall that only 29% (2.2”) fell on avg through 1/20 with 5.4” 1/21+.

-Regarding the 15 (one every other winter) 6”+ storms, median date not til Feb 10-11

-More 6”+ events in Mar (4) than Feb (3) or Jan (3)

-Peak 10 day frequency for 6”+ 2/21-3/2 (4)

So you’re saying… Fabulous February will save us???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

So you’re saying… Fabulous February will save us???

It may very well based on the extended models, non-east based El Niño climo, and the MJO. If not, don’t give up on Magnificent March. One year Amazing April even did it! Plus there are the couple of opportunities in the middle of Jumping January next week for at least something modest. It is still very early and Feb is looking promising. Even Eric Webb is excited about Feb.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, GaWx said:

It may very well based on the extended models, non-east based El Niño climo, and the MJO. If not, don’t give up on Magnificent March. One year Amazing April even did it! Plus there are the couple of opportunities in the middle of Jumping January next week for at least something modest. It is still very early and Feb is looking promising. Even Eric Webb is excited about Feb.

233182931_makeitso.gif.aaa5fdd922e6f6b8c0e8e8d466f0f899.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, olafminesaw said:

Looking rather toasty around day 10-14. But signs of another pattern change after. We need a hard reset for early February anyway. Anything after the first week of February is normally drippy slop, which I'm not really about 

Yeah this has been talked about for weeks.  Nothing new and it's basically just a reset. The weeklies and eps look really good after this relaxation. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HWY316wx said:

Looks like the NW Georgia Peeps could cash in along with people in the Tennessee Valley that struggle many times to score.  If the HI-RES EURO is right, more people in NW Georgia and North Georgia could score.  

EURO_fullsnow.PNG

HRRR_fullsnow.PNG

I remember you were also at Peach State Wx.

Folks, looking further ahead:

A warmup is expected during late January. This has been progged for quite some time as @Met1985just said. Warmups are normal, especially after a 10 day cold dominated period, and considering a then strong MJO 5/6, strong +AO/NAO, and a neutral PNA.

Further out (early Feb) and although longer range MJO amp forecasts have been underdone, the MJO is projected fwiw to approach and quite possibly go near or inside the circle (weak MJO tends to be more favorable to E US cold chances than strong MJO despite what’s about to happen). (We’ll see if the MJO really does weaken then.) If it doesn't go inside the circle, it should traverse the colder left side (hopefully not too strongly).

For all of Feb, yesterday's Euro weeklies have a solid Aleutian low/+PNA dominating. The SE US gets colder in early Feb. The same weeklies also give a solid -NAO and -AO for Feb 12-26. With the solid +PNA/-NAO/-AO/El Nino combo, the SE is mainly cool to cold then, especially Feb 19-26, along with threats of a GOM/Miller A winter storm.

Feb is the most favorable met winter month for cold/snowy in the SE US per non-east based El Niño climo. The last 12 runs of the CFS averaged out have cool to cold dominating the SE US in all 4 weeks of Feb. Although it may be overdone, I can’t recall the last 12 run average of the CFS having a BN SE US in every week. So, it like the Euro Weeklies doesn’t appear to have a cold bias.

If that weren’t enough, we’re on the verge of a 10 mb strat wind reversal 1/15-17. Perhaps that is connected to some extent to the -NAO/-AO being progged by the EPS for Feb 12-26.

• Like 3

The maps below are from the brand new 12 run averaged CFS for Feb 11-18, which is during/near prime El Niño climo for a major SE winter storm. GOM/FL SLPs are BN, which then moves to offshore the SE US. Note the coldest anomalies being in the Mid-Atlantic, which appears to be a result of Arctic high pressure going through the Ohio Valley, which would be a perfect track as opposed to a plunge. This all suggests GOM/Miller A potential. Yesterday’s Euro Weekly was similar:

IMG_8918.thumb.png.debe4a3d36909adfa0455da284c2c185.pngIMG_8919.thumb.png.8b858f987f1fe8d20d0ca405a2c4b923.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, GaWx said:

The maps below are from the brand new 12 run averaged CFS for Feb 11-18, which is during/near prime El Niño climo for a major SE winter storm. GOM/FL SLPs are BN, which then moves to offshore the SE US. Yesterday’s Euro Weekly is similar:

IMG_8918.thumb.png.debe4a3d36909adfa0455da284c2c185.pngIMG_8919.thumb.png.8b858f987f1fe8d20d0ca405a2c4b923.png

Excellent stuff Larry. Much appreciated. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Miss after miss after miss. We're going to be running out of time all too soon. We are on track to be blanked for the second winter in a row.
I rarely post much, just really enjoy reading and learning. The majority of your posts belong in another forum. Most are written presumably out of frustration and are not constructive. With all due respect.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, AppalachianWedge said:

I rarely post much, just really enjoy reading and learning. The majority of your posts belong in another forum. Most are written presumably out of frustration and are not constructive. With all due respect.

Thanks for the hot take.

I disagree with the the February hate.  

Over the past 30 years, RDU has averaged 2.7" of snow per January.  If you take out the 1999-2000 outlier (25"), the average is much lower.

Over the same 30 years, RDU has averaged 1.4" of snow per February. 

Not all that different in the grand scheme of things.  Once we get to March, I agree that we are toast.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AppalachianWedge said:

Warm and rain. Cold and dry. There…you learned everything. Oh and GO PACK GO!!!

• Thanks 1