• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring first regional significant winter impact event. Magnitude likely tempered. At this time NE PA/SE NY and SNE primarily. Jan 7/8.

Typhoon Tip

Just now, Snowcrazed71 said:

In what way? It's funny. I was just thinking about the NAM that we haven't talked about it or brought it into any of the conversations with any storms as of late.

That’s because it only goes out to 84 hrs…so it’s just coming into range now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gosh .. it almost seems it'd be better if the whole jet stream lifted N because with that high up there and that running over top would probably ignite a general region of isentropic lift snows - generate an event out of generic overrunning.

• Like 1

okay I see it -

yeah that solution may (if not likely) just the NAM being the NAM.  But it's putting all the emphasis on the trailing S/W.  In fact, extrapolating that 84 hour frame would argue that's enough mechanical power there to trigger some sort of NJ model low response out of that thing alone.

But as far as the lead, it's all but completely damping it out of existence due to wave space/destructive interference

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

NAM would actually have the storm on the kicker wave....the front runner gets ground up so much that it isn't able to sweep away the baroclinic zone with it.

image.thumb.png.4c921b80d6343d4a24d35e57a3e07ff0.png

And I'm not even sure I'd trust that to survive with the big dog digging in on its heels.

man - this is annoying.  It seems I keep seeing model renditions of this POS that match my discussion points, while they're not actually picking one of them and f'ing sticking with it.

I said this morning that this NAM extrapolation -type look would be possible. I gave it some 20 or 30% chance and then here we are, a model goes ahead and maps that out. 

But this has happened to all of us this week with this thing. It's all shot gun solutions still

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

And I'm not even sure I'd trust that to survive with the big dog digging in on its heels.

HAHA... Just said that exact same thing in my head.

It's like we're relaying destructive interference backward in the flow.

man - this is annoying.  It seems I keep seeing renditions of this POS that match my discussion points, while not actually picking one of them and f'ing sticking with it.
I said this morning this that this NAM extrapolation -type look would be possible. I gave it some 20 or 30% chance and then here we are, a model goes ahead and maps that out. 
But this has happened to all of us this week with this thing. It's all shot gun solutions still
This SOB is playing Russian Roulette with every model, every run, *and* the ensemble suites, can't say the last time I have seen this play out because at this time frame something starts to stick out

Sent from my SM-S146VL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

eps_acc_snow_ens_p2_boston_144.png

eps_acc_snow_ens_p1_boston_144.png

It's important to look at these panels like Ginxy has here. The ensemble means may look nice, but don't tell the whole story. 

Like for Mount Tolland for instance, the EPS mean is about 5.5 inches. But the 25th/75th range is 1.5 to 8.5 inches. So some bigger members are dragging the mean up, while the floor still remains quite low. When you can start setting the floor higher, that's when you can start honking for a storm.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's important to look at these panels like Ginxy has here. The ensemble means may look nice, but don't tell the whole story. 

Like for Mount Tolland for instance, the EPS mean is about 5.5 inches. But the 25th/75th range is 1.5 to 8.5 inches. So some bigger members are dragging the mean up, while the floor still remains quite low. When you can start setting the floor higher, that's when you can start honking for a storm.

^ an aspect that is like radiation trying to get through lead helmet on top of Mount Tolland, no doubt