• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

If we get lucky the 7-8th event phases in with the TPV, creates another 50/50 and we stay on the right side of the gradient for a front ended Jan 9-11. It’s certainly possible if the block is real like in the EPs etc

The parade of pac waves actually helps us as it speeds up any wave and doesn’t allow them to get too amped. Just need support from a 50/50 and we should be good

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Heisy said:

If we get lucky the 7-8th event phases in with the TPV, creates another 50/50 and we stay on the right side of the gradient for a front ended Jan 9-11. It’s certainly possible if the block is real like in the EPs etc

It phases with what's left of the 50-50 from the Jan 4th wave, which then reinforces the positive h5 heights over GL. That's the basic mechanism of an atmospheric block, and what keeps it sustained for a period of time.

1704844800-ueUPNuGgXH4.png

• Like 13
  • Weenie 1

37 minutes ago, CAPE said:

This is probably somewhere between a squirrel and a moose.

1704661200-wGaHavDxgfo.png

It’s not surprising if something pops up during a week with this mean pattern 

IMG_0658.thumb.png.977ecc74151c0447142845742c8bb406.png
That’s pretty text book and it’s January now. No more “too early” excuses. It would be kinda a bummer if we didn’t at least get a close call from that. It is nice to see some ops saying that still works though. 

• Like 17

HH GEFS is further southeast with the low and a bit weaker. Decreased spacing wrt both the 50-50 low and the next wave out west are the most obvious reason on the mean. After thoroughly enjoying a 120, I'm not at all interested in poring over the members for further detail. The mean still implies frozen into the MA. On to the next run.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CAPE said:

HH GEFS is further southeast with the low and a bit weaker. Decreased spacing wrt both the 50-50 low and the next wave out west are the most obvious reason on the mean. After thoroughly enjoying a 120, I'm not at all interested in poring over the members for further detail. The mean still implies frozen into the MA. On to the next run.

stronger 50/50 and a lot colder, though. I think the changes were good overall

gfs-ens_T850a_us_fh168_trend.thumb.gif.3d2ba3d421dac03d00c07b04061bad3d.gifgfs-ens_mslpa_us_fh168_trend.thumb.gif.535baa8e25616a8fffdbd90c3e256cf1.gif

• Like 7

4 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

The 5H vort panels tell the story with the differences in both the GFS and ECMWF. The difference in the handling of the northern stream is vastly different between each model, thus the outcome on guidance is different. GFS has much more interaction between the northern and southern stream where as the Euro is completely disconnected from the two leading to any surface reflection unable to gain any latitude. Will be interesting to see how it all evolves over the next week. I'll be monitoring, but I won't put too much time into it at this lead. 

Remember I told you: you are gonna REALLY  enjoy this winter. It's starting. Better buy whatever it is  that you use to stay awake. Everyone is gonna be living for the next model run. This is gonna be good!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

gfs-ens_T850a_us_fh168_trend.thumb.gif.3d2ba3d421dac03d00c07b04061bad3d.gifgfs-ens_mslpa_us_fh168_trend.thumb.gif.535baa8e25616a8fffdbd90c3e256cf1.gif

The HP showing up on recent runs changes a lot. While it isnt very robust it will help with the overall flow heading into the event. Been a while since we have had some excitement in here. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

The 7th still has potential but the wave needs more space. But it has to come from the back side not the front. RR you’re welcome. We need the 50/50 feature to offset the developing ridge over the top as the western trough develops.  That backing off just leads to rain. What we need is for the western trough to trend weaker or further west. A stronger SW initially would help too. 

After that I think a warm up is inevitable. I always felt that way. But there are paths to avoid it becoming a disaster. We need to see signs that the pac pattern will progress and not get stuck in Nina forcing.  We have the high latitude look we need now we just need the Nino look in the pac and it’s game on.  Not buying the Nina pattern locking in yet.  On to todays runs.   

I’ll be praying for back side help so we aren’t in such a tight situation between rain and snow. I would like some spacing. 

14 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

Bit of a tradeoff. The stronger/closer 50-50 low is largely what's damping the wave/ keeping it more suppressed on the mean. Not really worth doing more analysis, as there are many more model cycles to go.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

I LOVED the WB 18Z GFS for next Sunday, but the GEFS mean does not currently support the HH GFS.  Until the GEFS mean or at least another major model shows the same scenario, expectations should be kept in check big time.

IMG_2488.png

IMG_2489.png

Gefs says 1/4-5 is the stronger system, but suppressed. Trended colder on 1/7 though. Remember when both systems were depicted to be too warm to snow not too long ago though 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Yesterday the runs looked horrible, today good, although the latest GEFS brings the SER back again at the end of the run.  Lot of volatility/ chaos.   Honestly, will be disappointed if we don't see some snow in the next 2 weeks but only God knows what is going to happen....will say I was really relieved to see a model show a coastal low with snow in the comma.  Been a long time...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Have not read any previous posts above as I just clicked in here after looking at the 18z GooFuS. Safe to assume people started getting slightly encouraged for 1/7? I went straight to the bourbon 3 mins ago when I saw it. Let’s fuckin go!! :snowing:

Ahhh. I love me some bourbon!!! ;)

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Weather Will said:

Yesterday the runs looked horrible, today good, although the latest GEFS brings the SER back again at the end of the run.  Lot of volatility/ chaos.   Honestly, will be disappointed if we don't see some snow in the next 2 weeks but only God knows what is going to happen....will say I was really relieved to see a model show a coastal low with snow in the comma.  Been a long time...

Amen brother !! It had been a long time!! 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Actually, the Geese know!  Had at least 6 more flocks heading south here in extreme southeastern PA they are on your way enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1