Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

41 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Ops are really amplifying the long wave pattern. One problem with that is the pacific wins in a route. I’ve brought this up. Recently it takes weeks to establish cold and the first time the flow goes zonal off the pacific it gets obliterated in 24 hours!  

In fairness it is cold before and after that period you posted but that’s a disappointing development if it does evolve that way and would likely mean we’re waiting until after the pac progresses again towards mid January.  By the time we are getting cold enough a temporary trough off the west coast immediately obliterated all the cold and we’re back to square one. 

Look I’m trying to be positive. But I’ve left it hanging out there that fail is an option and if so we have THE answer we’ve been beating around for years during this current pac cycle.  Even if it goes down the gfs op way I suspect it still progresses to a good look after. But if this cycle of “flow off torched pacific obliterated cold in 2 seconds after a week of trying to slowly build a colder profile, rinse repeat” continues all winter at least we have the answer. This winter will be productive one way or another. 

Yeah, Bluewave will look like a genius. 

The gefs really backed off the -nao this run. If you actually want to worry about something that would truly be a reason to worry that would be it. This equation won’t work without a -nao. The whole problem creation relies on it. +nao basic wide or east based ninos are a disaster!  

luckily it’s just one run and the GEPS doesn’t agree so for now just a blip. 12z eps will be telling.  

• Thanks 2
  • Weenie 2

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

maybe with better rates/timing we could do something with this one. It looks close but man it's painful verbatim. Owch

if it cant snow on jan 5th with a low south of us and 850 temps below zero--like what are we really doing? I 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 2

17 minutes ago, Ji said:

Now we know where JB is getting his "coldest since the pleistocene" call from.  

8 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

On my way to the gym I saw 2 convertibles with the top down.  Car thermo read 60F.  Anytime the sun pops out here now the temp soars to 60F.  It's disgusting.

You are warmer than we are in Buda TX. High yesterday was 55, low 30. Ditto for the day before. 

• Like 1