• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

It is interesting though how on the 7ths storm neither the 12z euro deterministic or the 18z gfs deterministic are anywhere near their the center of their respective ensemble mean counterparts. Why doesn't the model default to deterministics that are more representative of the ensemble mean? I'm looking at hr 204 btw.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

So as of right now, is the 4-5 threat off the table? Or is it still a possibility in southern New England? The 6-7 threat looks like it's a non-threat right now... And that threat 11-12 still looks like the most potent at this point, correct?

It seems like the latest ensemble runs don't have hardly any members close enough to the coast to provide any sizeable precipitation even if it was in the form of snow. The best chance for anything around that time is probably some lingering inland snow from a weak low pressure near the st Lawrence valley before the energy transfers to the coastal low.

2 minutes ago, kazimirkai said:

It seems like the latest ensemble runs don't have hardly any members close enough to the coast to provide any sizeable precipitation even if it was in the form of snow. The best chance for anything around that time is probably some lingering inland snow from a weak low pressure near the st Lawrence valley before the energy transfers to the coastal low.

How about this one: :whistle:

image.thumb.png.0ddd9aa00bb398e361503a3c1079d731.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kazimirkai said:

It is interesting though how on the 7ths storm neither the 12z euro deterministic or the 18z gfs deterministic are anywhere near their the center of their respective ensemble mean counterparts. Why doesn't the model default to deterministics that are more representative of the ensemble mean? I'm looking at hr 204 btw.

Because the OP is essentially another ensemble member.....all the ensembles are is runs with slightly perturbed initial conditions. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

18z GEFS, Great look for an ensemble mean.

image.thumb.gif.b25748920ec2a5dc10294381ed54bee3.gif

3 minutes ago, George001 said:

With ensemble snow means i feel like the snowfall distribution is just as important if not more important than the amounts. The gefs has heavier snows inland and in the mountains with less along the coastline. That’s a strong signal for a hugger track, not a coastal scraper or southern slider. 

I don't agree at all. That looks like a SWFE/revedeveloper pattern....look how the cape does better than much of CT.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Because the OP is essentially another ensemble member.....all the ensembles are is runs with slightly perturbed initial conditions. 

Well I guess I just would have assumed the operational run would always be one of those roughly in the middle of all the ensemble members as opposed to one of the those skirting the edge of the distribution.

30 minutes ago, kazimirkai said:

Well I guess I just would have assumed the operational run would always be one of those roughly in the middle of all the ensemble members as opposed to one of the those skirting the edge of the distribution.

No, that is the point....what good would the ensemble mean be if that were the case? Sometimes it is, especially at less lead time, but the point of the perturbed members is to detect the degree of variance within the realm of physically plausible solutions and determine whether or not the OP makes sense.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

So as of right now, is the 4-5 threat off the table? Or is it still a possibility in southern New England? The 6-7 threat looks like it's a non-threat right now... And that threat 11-12 still looks like the most potent at this point, correct?

For reference the GEFS ensemble 
image.png.c23da2ff8415ffd1d112b26d017ac94c.png

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

So close though. Wonder if we sacrifice that for 1/7

Doubt it

- the fast nature of the flow is just killing this entire period. It’s a looming negative factor and every time the model run seem to conserve more of that ridiculous speed problem we get solutions that are whiffy and stretched out like this and I’m not sure it’s not true. We’ll see.